"Coffee Mug Ring Stain" How to change color in PHotoghop?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by DyslexicArtist, Oct 15, 2008.

  1. DyslexicArtist macrumors member

    Aug 12, 2008
    Hi, In Photoshop --- I am trying to figure out how to get a "coffee cup ring stain" over a photograph.... So far, I have gotten the artwork (like an open-ended C shape) scanned in... marqueed it, and somehow after 2 days, figured out how to get it alone on a photoshop page..... The FIRST thing I need to do is change the color of this coffee mug ring stain from black to brown...For the life of me, I can't get the color changed to brown.... How to do? step by step. thank you!
  2. LeviG macrumors 65816

    Nov 6, 2006
    Norfolk, UK
    after a very simple google for 'photoshop change colour of object' I found this as the very first option :rolleyes:

    Google is wonderful isnt it :eek:
  3. razorianfly macrumors 65816


    Oct 16, 2007
    Cheshire, United Kingdom
    Hi DyslexicArtist.

    You can do this one of two ways.

    The first is to just colour the profiles brown. To do this hit CMD + U (or CTL + U) and hit 'Colorize'.
    Then just move the sliders until your happy with the colour. This will be one solid colour.

    Gradient Overlays
    The second is to overlay a gradient on top of the scan. To do this, on the top navigation select Layer > Layer Style > Gradient Overlay.
    Select the default black to white gradient, and then hit each of the boxes on the scale to change their colour.
    If you want your coffee stain to be darker on one side, than on the other,
    choose a gradient which goes from a dark brown to a light brown.

    Oh, and make sure you have your 'Coffee Stain' layer selected.
    To bring the 'Layers' panel up, simply navigate to Window > Layers.

    It's always good practice to name your layers, so you don't get lost, and you know where everything is.

    Hope this helped.


    Attached Files:

  4. Claytoniss macrumors regular


    Apr 9, 2007
    I did the same thing but made a hi-rez brushs out of my stains! Now I can be as messy on my screen as my desk is. i should really straighten up.
  5. Kwill macrumors 68000


    Mar 10, 2003
    Good suggestions so far. Let's see how many we can add! ;)

    Here's a modified version of a method discussed on my blog.
    1. A grayscale scan can be copied and pasted into an alpha channel.
    2. Invert the channel (Cmd-I) so background is black.
    3. Make a selection from the channel (Cmd-click thumbnail).
    4. Create a new layer.
    5. Mix desired color in Color Picker.
    6. Fill the selection with that color (Opt-delete).
    7. Adjust blend mode (overlay or darken) and transparency of layer.

Share This Page