Coffee shop in California refuses to serve officers....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by s2mikey, Mar 10, 2018.

1. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

https://googleweblight.com/?lite_ur...701240&sig=AOyes_RvqejKf8cNh72Ahk3zPoA2GOzfwg

Hmmmm. Last time something like this happened regarding gay marriage and wedding cakes there were lawsuits and a huge deal was made of it. I thought private businesses couldn’t refuse to serve based on their own personal beliefs? Wasn’t that what the do gooders told us? I’m confused.

The police should sue the place. Right? I mean, this is what’s been established.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

No. It states that they will be served if not in uniform.

This is no different than policies stating “no shirt, no shoes, no service”.

If you can’t see the difference between this and they gay marriage issue, then good luck to you sir

3. Gutwrench, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018

Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

In uniform I didn’t eat or drink where I wasn’t wanted or where I couldn’t see the food/drink prepared. I tried to avoid eating someone’s spit, boogers, and piss.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 10, 2018 ---
    No it isn’t but I don’t care.

4. DearthnVader, Mar 10, 2018

DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Liberal hypocrisy, never.....:p

Just make a no guns policy, but good luck when you're being robbed at gunpoint.:D

Really, I don't get any of this, if someone's money is green, and they are not breaking the laws of government in my place of business, then they should be served.

If it's ok by local laws to walk about in the buck, and you stroll into my coffee shop wearing your birthday suit, I'm not casting a moral judgement on you, only an economic one.

5. Zenithal macrumors 604

Ah, this explains the lattes and the scones with clotted cream. I now believe you never worked in BART. Those guys will eat anything.

6. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Except your customers will give you a very good economic reason to keep him out lol

7. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Given OPD members behaviours in recent years and their records of sex trafficking and brutality, I can't say that I'd want them in my business while they were on the clock, either. Their records out of uniform are likely no better, but at least people wouldn't recognise them. Businesses should be free to serve whomever they wish and people should be free to protest their actions peacefully in response.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I think the two are not comparable. Gays were refused service for what they are. With this situation, uniformed police are not being served for what they feel the uniform represents to them and their patrons.

9. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

If I wanted to keep him out, I won't open a shop in the place the local laws allowed Mr. Johnson to be out in public.

si fueris Rōmae, Rōmānō vīvitō mōre; si fueris alibī, vīvitō sīcut ibī

10. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

That sounds like something Trump would say. I’m guessing Larry Nassar was the last straw too, so you’ve stopped using doctors.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 10, 2018 ---
    I never rode BART. If I had to use public transit it was the GGT and I was glad I was armed.

11. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Which honestly makes no sense. Do they all of a sudden become different people, with different morals and a different set of values when they change into street clothes?

Personally, I think their reasoning is ridiculous, but if they don’t want cops in their shop then that should be their call. I hope they never get robbed.

12. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Hey now, I won’t let you sit here and interrupt the knee-jerk bootlicking that is required of Real Americans towards police departments no matter how heinous their (departments) conduct.

How dare you.

13. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Why would I stop using my doctors? None of them have been accused of sex crimes. The OPD on the other hand has been accused and investigated for sex crimes and found guilty. Ditto for brutality and bad behaviour. If my physicians had been half as bad, I'd boycott their practice. Best not to let rabid dogs in your yard if you don't have to.

14. Zenithal macrumors 604

Yeah. SF has always had questionable crime and homeless doing some weird stuff in the streets. It's one of the numerous reasons I'm generally not a fan of the area. That and the morning dew. It feels like taking a cold shower without getting into the shower.

15. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I think it is. If you’re gay and someone refuses to sell you a wedding cake, they’d still sell you anything else in the shop (talking about the most publicized cases). If the issue is the wedding cake, then they’re not going to ask you to leave because of who you are.

The cops, OTOH, are being asked to leave for precisely that reason.

16. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I once worked security for Bell South at their main office downtown Nashville. Only Bell South employees were allowed in the building at night, and only they were allowed in the main tower in the daytime.

We had orders not to let the police pass without a warrant, and a legal hotline to call if they tried.

But, then we weren't open to the public, as far as the main tower, the TEDC and the lobby were open to the public in the daytime.

17. Fthree macrumors 6502a

who opens a coffee shop these days besides dunkin and starbucks anyways..... that place will be open <6 months or change their policy.

18. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

No worries.

19. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Not so sure about that, you can stay in business serving a niche market, and just look at all the free ad's this place has gotten from this.

If the Police are unpopular in that area with more than just habitual criminals, I'd say they may have a winner.

Tho you can be penny wise and pound foolish, invate a criminal elament that knows the police are not going to want to protect you, and likely will delay any calls you may make.

20. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Does it hurt to bend that far backward?

Either accept that businesses have a right to deny service to anyone they wish, for whatever reason, or enforce that every business must serve whoever wishes to use their services.

21. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Not down with it. Police are truly largely good people. My main issue with them is their ignorance of the law they are supposed to uphold. I recently had an issue I was lucky enough to fix on my own without their help. I went to them and they gave me a load of B.S.

But when it comes to truly dangerous issues, needing help, most cops are good.

22. Fthree macrumors 6502a

It would be interesting to see how it pans out in 6 months. have to keep this thread alive.

23. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You obviously don't live on the west coast.There are "mom and pop" coffee shops everywhere.

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Don't tell me what to accept. :rolleyes:

Denying service for who someone is .....versus...... what group/organization/etc they are apart of or represent ....is two completely differ things.

For example: An establishment should not be able to deny a person service because of their race. But that same establishment should be able to deny service to a person if they are part of a street gang.

Your "all or nothing" and "one rule fits all" approach is not realistic.

25. Septembersrain, Mar 10, 2018

Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

This is blanket prejudice. The worst part is that if they got robbed or something happened, who would they call?

I think that right now people are going to such extremes, on both sides, that it's getting out of hand!

Edit: Also as a LEO wife, I feel that lumping all law enforcement workers into the same basket is pretty messed up. They go through a lot daily, being abused, tested, threatened, now they get told that they can't go to a coffee shop?

I agree with the LEOs never going there but the sad part is if something happens there, they won't have the right to say they won't take the call.

My feelings? I hope they close.