Coffee spilled on Macbook pro aluminium. some keys dont work anymore. what to do now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by volcom883, Aug 19, 2011.

1. volcom883, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

volcom883 macrumors regular

volcom883

Hello my mate spilled coffee on his mbp 17" unibody.

Some of his keys don't work properly anymore (F3 - 3 - E - D - C only!)

When you press one of these keys either;
    - It doesn't work at all or
    - It does random stuff such as minimising the safari window or
    - Type other letters like A, ©, ˚, H, ∆, etc..

Apple centre says they need replacing the main board, keyboard & trackpad etc (1200 dollars they want)

A month has been since the incident, he is ready to open and try to fix it.

any advice?

2. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

If he won't pay to get it fixed he could try taking it apart and replacing random parts. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVTfkRiAn-g

Just search youtube and google for advice to remove or replace certain parts there is plenty info out there.

3. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I got the board replaced... I think it's the only good option. It's a lesson learned though, you and me need to remember to be more careful! ;O I've had 2 incidents so far, on 2 different computers.

4. volcom883 thread starter macrumors regular

volcom883

the question is, will replacing the main board just fix the issue? how much is it anyway?

5. randomrazr macrumors 65816

probably half the cost of the macbook LOL

should have invested in a moshi cleargaurd

6. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

Maybe, maybe not. There is no way to tell without trying it, but realistically you could have damaged every component with a spill of liquid. So you replace the logic board, the keyboard may still be sticky, the HDD could be wet and so could anything else.

There is a reason apple qouted you $1200, you are basically replacing everything in the machine.

7. Chinamao macrumors newbie

I spilled water on my mbp 13 keyboard. The keyboard did not work at all. But what is weird it that the keyboard works well under virtual Window I installed on my machine. So you can ask your friend to try it, or he can just buy a wireless keyboard which cost about 100 bucks. I bought one and it worked quit well as it is virtually the same size as the laptop keyboard, it can just sit on top of the laptop keyboard.

Mine was still under applecare, so I took it to the genius bar, and explained to them what happened, and they just booked my laptop in to test whether the motherboard false or the keyboard, and they would replace either of them for free. Eventually they found out it is the keyboard. So that may be the same case regarding of your friend machine. Keyboard is not expensive, so please make sure which part is false before the total replacement.

8. Amerabian macrumors regular

Actually I have had one on as a gift from a friend.

A co-worker spilled coffee on my mbp and it went right on top of the clearguard.. I flipped over the mackbook, turned it off in a nano second, and wiped off the excess coffee off the screen/body.

The clearguard saved me $1200..

These things might seem useless or ugly, until they do their job!