Coffins Arrive Ahead of Executions

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Apr 28, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

2. sim667 macrumors 65816

Its also well known that across indonesia and thailand police will quite happily plant drugs to get convictions.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Even on foreigners?

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

Mostly on foreigners.

The question is: Who goes to Indonesia and why :confused:

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

People looking for drugs. :p

6. Happybunny macrumors 68000

The Dutch have an historical ties, trips are advertised here, back a few years ago old comrade groups of the KNLI, would go with there families. Bali is mostly for everybody else, a real party scene.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

To travel. Indonesia is cheap and hot.

I've certainly travelled around South East Asia and I've not heard of the police planting drugs on foreigners. I'd not be totally surprised if they did it to get a bribe but I'd be surprised if it went further than that.

Tourism is super important in that part of the world.

----------

That too.

8. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

People who'd do that are often desperate, and unable to correctly assess the consequences of their actions. Also, criminals (and more generally, people) are often stupid.

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

10. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I really do think that you are wrong, the THAI police would never do that in BALI. That would be the Indonesian POLICE.

Bali is part of Indonesia.:p

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

Er..... I didn't say it was.... I gave an example of Indonesian police and example of Thai police as I said it was well known that Indonesian and Thai police are known for planting drugs.

Maybe read the thread and use a bit of common sense eh? ;P

12. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Volcanologists. Indonesia is home to some of the world's mightiest volcanos.

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

These executions are disturbing.

Without going into too many details, the punishment seems overly harsh. Especially since many of those sentenced had, at best, peripheral involvement in smuggling. Still others suffer from cognitive-development or other issues that would - in any western nation - warrant some sort of clemency.

Lastly, without putting too fine a point on it, the Indonesia criminal justice system lacks many of the safeguards and institutional checks we are accustomed to in the West. One has to wonder about the nature of the police investigation; the competence of the legal representation; and the basic fairness of the trials.

Don't get wrong: People get wrongly convicted in Britain and the US. But this Indonesia case leaves a very foul taste in my mouth.

14. Happybunny macrumors 68000

some years ago the Netherlands, because of our historic bans with Indonesia, sent a small team to try and help modernise the justice system. After three years they said that they would continue as they always had.:(

15. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Eradicating drug smugglers? Shame.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

To be perfectly honest it is very clear to anyone who has been to South East Asia that these are the penalties. Now you might get away with a bribe/donation, but still these are the legal penalties.

Here's the Singapore landing card - you cannot be ignorant of this if you go to these places.

[​IMG]

17. aaronvan, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015

aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

No appreciation for their former white colonial masters' criticism of their national justice system, huh? The nerve of some countries.

18. Happybunny macrumors 68000

That could have been the problem, or just that they didn't see a need to change.

19. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

They certainly don't see the need to change. Indonesia dismissed all diplomatic efforts and carried out the executions. The families are claiming the bodies right now.

20. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

That landing card is chilling.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I agree. But it is what it is.

22. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Read the entire story, it quite informative. Seems that the AFP (Aussie police) worked with the Indonesians on the investigation, so it's highly unlikely the drugs were planted or that it's anything but a straight-up drug bust.