Cohen's office raided by FBI

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by raqball, Apr 9, 2018.

1. raqball macrumors 68000

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...trump-attorney-michael-cohen-reports-say.html

“Today the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York executed a series of search warrants and seized the privileged communications between my client, Michael Cohen, and his clients,” Cohen's attorney Stephen Ryan said. “I have been advised by federal prosecutors that the New York action is, in part, a referral by the Office of Special Counsel, Robert Mueller.”

Stormy related or something else? Let the speculation and what if's begin!

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Don't know if the FBI would raid an attorneys office if was simply related to an FEC investigation. My guess is they suspect his lawyer is involved in the intimidation of Daniels to keep quiet.

3. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

They're probably searching to see if he used campaign funds as hush money.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

There is much I do not like about Cohen, but the attorney-client privilege should be defended to the hilt. How can this be legal?

5. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

6. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

The US attorneys office has to have something on Cohen. I really want to believe that search warrants wouldn’t be issued just so the FBI could go on a fishing expedition.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

In a nutshell, they don't trust Cohen enough to comply. They felt he would try to hide something

8. oldhifi, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018

oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

There's a crime-fraud exception. Destroying or concealing evidence, witness tampering, and concealing income or assets are examples to name a few.

10. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

For all those lawyers that think they are above the law and can manipulate it to their benefit...I wanna see handcuffs! :)

11. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

For? Has he been charged with a crime? Or have you already convicted him of something?

12. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Maybe him doing the perp walk would be nice to see too!

13. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

I could ask the "LOCK HER UP!" peanut gallery the same question...

14. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

15. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the article. Could be something and it could amount to more of the nothingness we've seen from all the current investigations that are on-going and never ending..

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I don't think this gets the green light if all signs point to a dead end. You generally use subpoena power, not FBI raids on a lawyers office.

17. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Multiple indictments and pleadings to crimes is nothingness?

18. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Michael Cohen himself is under investigation. The attorney client communications shouldn't be used against the clients, but they can be used against Cohen if he committed fraud, or broke campaign finance law (which it appears he has done).

19. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

My money is on this being to do with witness intimidation, specifically Stormy Daniels. We shall see though....

20. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

What are you saying, that an attorney can never be the target of an investigation and have his office raided (assuming there was good cause, such as the belief that he was not forthcoming with evidence, etc.)? Also, we don't know at this point if attorney-client privilege was even a factor here.

21. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

Agree but I'll still take a wait and see approach. My belief is it's the whole Stormy payment fiasco and nothing more. Now what they discover in the records could lead to more, sure.

Maybe Cohen pulled a Clinton and wiped, destroyed and took a hammer all the incriminating records and devices before the FBI got there. Who knows...

22. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

Funny...in my day, we called that "pulling a Fawn Hall."

23. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

Call it what you will but since this is the digital age, I'll go with the Clinton example unless he also used a good old fashioned shredder as well.. Either way, I'll wait and see what comes of this. It certainly can't be good for Cohen unless he went into Clinton or Fawn Hall evidence destruction mode (or both) before the FBI got there...

24. Zenithal macrumors 604

Data is never not recoverable save for a few special ways of destroying all known data. In the age of FBI and NSA malware, I lean on there being something. Or the FBI is doing what it did with Manafort.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 9, 2018 ---
    The law firm Cohen was with has terminated their partnership and is cooperating with the FBI.