Coldplay X&Y copy protected

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by bbarnhart, Dec 27, 2005.

1. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I got a copy of Coldplay's X&Y CD for a gift, but I can't mount the CD on my Mac. Is there a way to circumvent the copy protection? Maybe we're not supposed to discuss this at MacRumors.com, but it's my CD and I want to put it into my computer. I've seen some other sites discuss how to do this on a Windows PC. I might try it at work.

2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Isn't copy protection a Windows-only thing? I thought it doesn't affect Macs...

3. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hmm... That's weird... The copy I got from bitTorrent worked just fine? :confused: :confused:

Haha just kidding, iTMS all the way! ;) That's weird though... What makes you think it's the copy protection that's causing the problem? My brother bought Green Day's "Bullet in a Bible" and even though that said on the back (or somewhere on the case) that it was copy-protected, I ripped it just fine. Do you have any other computers to try it on, just for sureseys? :(

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i had no problems with it. i ripped it just fine without a problem.

5. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

6. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

ive have quite a few cds that said they have been copy protected and they all download to my itunes just fine

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^So have I. I usually have no problems at all, and I didn't have any problems with X&Y either.

However, I have had problems with 1 or 2 other copy-protected CDs. One of them was Jack Johnson "On and On." I forget the other album. Funny thing is that using a Windows computer, it ripped just fine. I think it's just luck of the draw.

8. bursty macrumors 65816

bursty

Had similar problems with the new Switchfoot cd. After a few tries it finally mounted and started ripping. I say keep trying, might get lucky like I did.

9. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

X&Y ripped fine for me.

Are you trying in iTunes, or just looking on the desktop?

10. bbarnhart thread starter macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

It wouldn't mount on the desktop. I'll try it on another computer today. Thanks.

11. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

If the music CD is copy-protected by the company, I think consumers should boycot that CD along with other products offered by that company. Money speaks and that will put those companies in place where they don't resort to vey aggressive copy protection schemes on the CDs which were bought legit.

12. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

After reading this whole thread specialy this comment.

SONY/BMG? comes to mind. Do you guys remember this whole debacle with the root kit they are destributed/distributing with all there cd's.

Shame on you Sony never will I buy a Sony content on a cd or dvd again.

Sorry for the rant. But stuff like that makes me angry.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have System of a Down's Hypnotise album (Sony) and I believe it's copy-protected. When I tried to import it into iTunes, the drive (Matsushita/Panasonic UJ-845) sat there making "seek" noises for a minute or so, but eventually imported all tracks successfully. Maybe you just need to be patient.

14. howesey macrumors 6502a

If you are worried again when buying a single/album, buy the none copy protection disc.

Discs with copy protection do not follow red book standard, therefore they are not eligible for the charts.