Colin Cowherd fired from ESPN

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Jul 24, 2015.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Long-time sports radio host, Colin Cowherd, was fired from ESPN for saying that baseball couldn't be that complex of a sport, because Dominicans understand it and are stars in the league ...

As this is a sports-related topic, I'll lob a softball right over the middle of the plate and ask, is this political correctness run amok? Or was ESPN right in canning him?

Cowherd talks extemporaneously for hours on his show. I'd personally cut him a little slack just because of the difficulty in putting on a daily radio program and trying to be as entertaining and against-the-grain as he is. I've never heard him engage in broad brushing people like that before. He actually comes off as something of a liberal.

That said, it's a business decision. ESPN is owned by Disney, and if they have the legal right to terminate his contract, then I really have no problem with them making that choice. Both Disney and Cowherd will have to live with the consequences of their actions.

But wait. There's more.

It appears that Cowherd was on his way out of ESPN anyway ...

I wonder whether Cowherd could have intentionally slipped up in an effort to get out of his contract, or whether ESPN lost interest in him since he was leaving anyway.

Or could this just be political correctness run amok?

You tell me.

2. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Are you really interested in other people's opinions?

Because it reads like you just want to make your own partisan points under the guise of desiring input.

Or perhaps that's a result of the limitation of a forum.

You tell me.

3. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow. Normally people complain when people introduce threads without giving their opinion.

This time I consciously decided to provide mine, to make sure I wasn't committing that same forum faux pas.

Sometimes you just can't win.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    If someone else were to ask this question, I wouldn't be laughing so hard right now.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

6. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Didn't mean to hurt feelings.

Just genuinely curious whether you are asking a question of others, or whether you are injecting, projecting, trolling Evil Political Correctness into something unrelated.

7. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I never heard of him before, but, this is so stupid I have to guess that he is playing a deeper game of some kind. Either that, or, he really is that stupid-- as I said, I never heard of him before.

8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I'm not sure how to react.

1) I get what he was trying to say, but he should have said something like "Shoeless Joe Jackson was illiterate but could play baseball"
    2) Why are people surprised a radio host of an inflammatory radio show has an opinion that was so inflammatory?

ESPN has no personality and no credibility. This doesn't make any bit of difference. The booyahs are an NFL shield worshipping entertainment channel that pushes the NFL in April and only shows interest in the sports it is in bed with.

9. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Oy.

I genuinely think its too minor an offense to warrant the firing. It begins to make a little more sense in light of the rumors that his time with ESPN was coming to an end. Under those circumstances, I could see where he'd push the envelope more, and why the network wouldn't cut him any slack.

Interestingly, this form of political correctness is taking place in the business sector, conceivably for reasons that are solely business related. So should it even be labelled political correctness if it's just business?

Don't answer that. I'm probably just injecting, projecting, and trolling. I couldn't possibly be trying to engage in a discussion.

10. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Agreed.

11. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Cowherd was definitely opinionated and brash, but I didn't perceived his show as "inflammatory."

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

ESPN has let a lot of big-name sports guys got recently: Keith Olbermann; Bill Simmons come to mind.

The reason is simple, and familiar: Money.

Big-name TV personalities cost a lot in terms of salary. And ESPN's main cost component: Rights fees, the money they pay to sports leagues to air their games, has also increased markedly in recent years. Meanwhile revenue from cable subscribers is under pressure from people who are canceling thanks to the Internet; Netflix; Hulu; etc.

ESPN figures - rightly or wrongly - that people tune in to watch the players, rather than listen to Simmons and Olbermann . And that such expensive personalities can be replaced by newer, lesser known people who'll do the job for a fraction of the price.

BTW: Spellcorrect makes life very trying sometimes.

13. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

You're missing the bigger picture. What do all of these guys have in common? They have all been critical of a certain organization.

[​IMG]

It has EVERYTHING to do with the NFL and the fact that ESPN wants more televised NFL games. Whatever makes the shield happy is what ESPN will do.

Easy Example: ESPN continually raves about the NFL's concussion protocol and all the work the NFL is doing, when in reality, evidence continues to point out that it's not concussions that are causing these issues, it's the continuous, sub concussive hits that lead to brain damage.

ESPN is a puppet of the NFL now which Disney has willingly handed over for a decent TV contract. There's no journalism there, just talking heads.

14. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I also am starting to hear rumors that current ESPN President John Skipper is creating a bad working environment at ESPN itself. Pushing Bill Simmons, Keith Olbermann and now Colin Cowherd out the door in such a high-profile manner makes a LOT of employees inside the company nervous, to say the least. I would not be surprised that both Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic of Mike & Mike are seriously considering leaving ESPN after their contract ends at the end of 2015. Also, ESPN is bleeding TV subscribers like crazy, thanks to many people now no longer having cable or satellite TV. And that means lower revenues for the company, and Disney corporate has told ESPN to cut its costs as much as US$250 million per year by 2017.

I have this feeling that Disney corporate feels ESPN under Skipper is causing more PR problems than necessary, and Skipper could be forced out. It may not be far-fetched that George Bodenheimer--the former President of ESPN who was very well-liked--will be brought back to head ESPN until a better successor as President is found.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This is all convenience for ESPN, Cowherd has said plenty of stupid things during his time at "the mother ship". His contract was up at the end of the year and this was an easy way for ESPN to stop paying him early. Simmons and Skipper have been fighting for a few years. They didn't like how Olbermann was critical of the NFL. I would not be surprised to see all 3 end up on Fox Sports and boost the ratings of Fox Sports 1.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

ESPN is paying up the butt to gain the rights for the NFL. Something like 19 billion, with subscriber numbers falling they have to cut the expensive people out. Now the sad thing is that ESPN is still the highest earning division of the Walt Disney Company.

17. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

If they land a more lucrative NFL contract, none of this will matter. It's the nature of sports television. These talk shows and radio personalities are basically a way to fill time between live sports broadcasts.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And ESPN has 6 networks of time to fill.

19. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I feel like ESPNU and ESPNEWS are superfluous at this point.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

ESPNEWS seems pointless now. With Sportscenter all day now on ESPN, I don't see the point. ESPNU is not college centric anymore especially with the SEC Network. They have to many networks with the same content.

21. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The extra networks become useful during football and basketball season.

Cowherd annoys me. Plus, I don't like radio shows with a single host doing nearly 100% of the talking. If you pay attention you'll notice that they fill the time by repeating themselves multiple times. Cowherd is GREAT at that.

22. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

That's actually normal for sports talk radio shows lasting three hours or more. Mike & Mike, The Dan Patrick Show (NBC Sports Network) and Boomer & Carton (CBS Sports Network) repeat the same topic about twice per show because research shows that most people listen to sports talk radio only in 20-35 minute increments.

Personally, I still think something bad is going on at ESPN upper management. All the great things that happened under George Bodenheimer's run as ESPN President (Bodenheimer started at ESPN almost from its very beginning) are falling apart under John Skipper's current stewardship. As such, my suspicion is that Skipper is very close to being forced out. Just the decision to award Caitlyn (formerly Bruce) Jenner the Arthur Ashe Award at the ESPYs proved to be very divisive PR-wise for the company, in my humble opinion.

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I occasionally tune-in to both right and left-wing A.M. talk radio, and an interesting thing I've noticed is that their advertisements are exactly the same: get-out-of-debt schemes, natural male "enhancement" nostrums, buy gold now, questionable hair-loss remedies, etc. It seems their listeners are from the same socioeconomic demographic: stupid men.

24. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

That's true, but what I meant was saying the same thing over and over consecutively! Something like, "Smith is done. He's done! I'm telling you it's over for him. He needs to say goodbye. And you know why? Let me tell you. Listen to me. I am going to say this once...". I just made that up and it's not a redundant enough example.