Colin Kaepernick a hypocrite as he ends national anthem protest now that he needs a new job

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DrewDaHilp1, Mar 3, 2017.

1. DrewDaHilp1, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017

DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Story here

I know we did a thread when he decided to not stand, so I figured why not when he decided that he will stand now that he's looking for a paycheck. I supported his Right to take a knee, just as I supported the Rights of his critics and supporters.

So the question is will he get signed to a new contract? Will he actual do what he said and stand? If he doesn't get signed, is he reaping the consequences?

2. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

A Professional Athlete needs a real job? Must be the day ending in 'y'.

How about the rest of them follow Colin out the door?

3. Galacticos macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

I support his right to be a complete dick, and that's what he is for taking a knee during the anthem in my opinion.

That flag and anthem are his too. They are as much or as little as he wants them to be

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Now that he isn't making $13M a year I guess he decided to compromise his ideals. What a hack.

5. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I wonder if his new team, if he gets one, will put a stipulation in his contract that if he does it again he will be released, all guarantees nullified and will owe any signing bonus back to the team. Otherwise nothing will stop him from doing it again.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Wait - I thought the reply would be that Trump is making America Great Again - so Colin is now on board. Will Trump be tweeting about this success?

7. DrewDaHilp1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That's what I'm wondering. Given the amount of money I'd say just about anything they wanted me to.

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Highly, highly unlikely.

This is a league where guys get arrested for DWI, drugs, domestic violence, etc.. and 99% (Ray Rice is the outlier) of them don't get released, their guarantees nullified, or anything like that. Why would they do it to someone who is doing a form of non-violent protest.

I understand the reason why people don't like him, but let's be realistic about this. There are bad hombres with jobs in the league, and people still cheering for them. It's funny the priorities that some fans have.

If Kap was out leading marches and calling for violence, I could understand the vehemence. And then you guys would be saying that he should find a better, non-violent way to protest. But damn, this all seems like much ado about nothing.

9. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Teams don't like those either, but those tend to be mistakes that teams have to deal with after the fact. This one is right out in front of them and it will all depend on if they want the circus coming to town. Because if he does it again, the circus will show up.

Couldn't see an owner in a deep red state signing him anyway.

10. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Picture, if you will, what would happen if any player got arrested for "DWI, drugs, domestic violence, etc.." while on the field in front of the fans and TV cameras. Kaepernick wanted to show his disrespect publicly and is getting his comeuppance.

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

You guys must not watch very much football.

Disrespectful things happen in every game by every team. Spitting, stomping, hair pulling, yelling at refs, complaining about refs.

It's cool. Snowflakes normally melt after the opening kick anyway.

12. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

When someone stands tall (for a moment) and exclaims, "it is not about the money, it's the principle!", it's usually about the money.

13. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

BLM!!! oh wait... Football money matters.

14. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Unlikely, For something like that to happen it would have to pass through the NFL Commission and the players union, which would mean going to Court in order to make it a requirement.

15. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Then the solution is 1) no signing bonus and 2) no guaranteed money. So if he does it, he gets released. Good incentive to not do it.

16. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

You just have to laugh when stuff like this happens. So transparent. His career is over anyway. He'll be a back up somewhere and we'll all forget about him and he'll just fade away.

17. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

In the NFL the only thing you're guaranteed is your sign-in bonus, the rest is practical so they can basically be cut at anytime from the team. Unfortunately standing for the National Anthem is not a requirement, therefore it cannot be implemented into their contracts, however, you can impose a fine on the players and I'm pretty sure that idea has been floated around.

18. DrewDaHilp1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

There's always the CFL, is the CFL still a thing?

19. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

I happen to know why he was protesting.
    My question is does anyone else here know?

I must admit that someone told me then I did a little bit of research.

20. DrewDaHilp1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I took his word for why he said he wasn't standing.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

21. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

What many may not know is that Francis Scott Key was also a slave owner as well as a lawyer that of course helped other slave owners protect their PROPERTY.

I honestly never knew that until my buddy insisted that I Google Francis Scott Key.

I'm not going to sit here and declare wether the player is right or wrong. It doesn't really matter to me as I have almost zero interest in sports. Only that it is interesting that Francis Scott Key was a slave owner as well as a lawyer for other slave owners.

22. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I realize for some of you, this is falling on deaf ears, but just for a moment consider something.

This post makes it pretty clear Colin Kaepernick isn't winning with anyone here no matter what. If he doesn't adjust & conform, he's a conservative boogeyman, an unemployed black man. He makes a stand, he's the other boogeyman, a black man using his voice to say uncomfortable things. What he is no matter what though, is a man who made a stand, and it cost him. How many of him you can say the same thing or will ever?

Arguments were made whether it was right for him to choose how he made his statement, right or wrong. What you can't argue is whether or not he gets to make a statement. You can argue till you're blue in the face whether he was right or not, he doesn't have to care. Welcome back to America. You want to buy into the fake argument that not standing for the national anthem somehow belittles the military, and not say any other US citizen, so be it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...ional-anthem-military-police-column/90312492/
    The point is you choose to see the any protest during the national anthem as a slight against the military, you also choose to see Kaepernick now as a hypocrite for not continually dying on his hill. On the other hand some may choose to see him as a black man who got vilified for speaking out about something that still continues to happen to this day, despite his protest, and many don't give a damn. Colin can be seen as a man whose cause has been pushed into the background because it's an ugly thing to bring up, and there are other concerns for this country to deal with as well. I on the other hand will see Kaepernick as another black man who's going to have put aside another part of himself to get by.

Kaepernick is a man in a country where there's a pretty good chance you'll get shot by some of those who are sworn to protect you, because of his skin color. Kaepernick is a black man who when he's driving and gets his plates run ( and there's a pretty good chance of that happening, aka driving while black ) he'll be THAT black guy. He's a guy who used his elevated position to voice a position. When it's a position that some like, he's a great brave guy. When it's disliked he's that guy who should shut up because he's just an entertainer. Now he's not so elevated, and he'll become a forgotten guy. That's unless he goes to a team you like and he returns to his form of four years ago. Then like a lot of fans, if he brings a championship you'll get over him.

Is he reaping the consequences of his stand, yeah. I'd also like to think he knew it was coming, and still made his stand knowing. That isn't a hypocrite, that's just a guy making a stand, accepting the consequences, and moving on. Something some us of do eventually.

23. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

Do you stand for the anthem too when watching it at home?

24. Galacticos macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

No but not standing isn't the same as kneeling. I think that's been made clear by his talking about why he does it

25. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Probably best not to tell this American footballer that the national anthem is a British song borrowed then. It probably would make it more oppressive from that era.