Colin Powell Goes After Trump & Clinton in Leaked Personal Emails

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Sep 14, 2016.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Ouch. Colin Powell's leaked emails are pretty critical of both major parties and their candidates. Looks like Powell feels the same way a lot of people feel about their choices. There are a lot of stories on a lot of sites all giving their partisan slant, so this was hard wading through and piecing together, but to sum things up....

On Trump:
    • The whole birther thing was racist
    • He takes us (blacks) for idiots
    • Getting 95% of blacks voting for him is a schizo fantasy of Trump's
    • Trump "appeals to the worst angels of the GOP nature and poor white folks."
    • He's a “national disgrace and an international pariah.”
    • Calling him an idiot emboldens him

There you have it. A Republican saying that yeah, Trump was being one of the deplorables.

On Clinton:
    • “Everything HRC touches she kind of screws up with hubris.”
    • Referred to the Clinton campaign as "the mafia".
    • Told their camp to stop roping him into their email problem
    • For good reason she comes across as sleazy.
    • And he would rather not have to vote for her

Somehow after all that he still refers to her as a good friend. Interesting.

On fellow Republicans:
    • Benghazi hearings were a witch hunt
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...out-trump-and-clinton-from-his-leaked-emails/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...fter-trump-clinton-in-leaked-personal-emails/

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/15/us/politics/colin-powell-emails-hack-donald-trump.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/colin-powell-dcleaks-emails-reveal-rift-hillary-clinton-donald-trump/

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

add that he and a donor discussed about HRC's frail health.

Powell comes out more as a backstabber than anything, if I have to be honest.

3. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Colin Powell is human garbage.

[​IMG]

Why should I care about his opinion?

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Yep, as SoS he gave up to Rumsfeld, something that Condi never allowed.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Powell should be reminded that when Obama was first elected, many of his constituents wanted him to go after the Bush Administration for misleading the nation into the Iraq War with lies, as well as the crimes that were committed during the conflict. The Democratically controlled House could have indulged themselves in endless investigations over those matters, questioning why Powell sent official communications via AOL, and digging into millions of missing emails from him, as well as other members of the administration.

But Obama and the Democrats chose a more magnanimous route, and didn't choose to go after Bush, Cheney and Powell. So I have no sympathy for his complaint about being roped into HRC's email problem. He's just lucky that Obama and the Democrats weren't as cynically and politically driven as the current batch of Republicans. Or else the past eight years would have gone very differently for the former Secretary of State.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

they didn't go after bush because they agreed with the war, simple as that.

7. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Despite my disappointment with Colin Powell as Secretary of State, I find that I agree with a lot of what he says in these leaked emails.

As an aside, one thing that he had in common with Clinton is a lack of appreciation for the value of IT security.

Aren't we all.

Because he was a significant actor in all of these historical events, and, we might learn a lot from what he has thought about people and events.

In my life, I've crossed paths indirectly with a few VIPs. Occasionally, they are nice people. When that happens, everyone remarks on it, because it is the exception rather than the rule. Hubris goes with the territory.

Of all the major political figures of my lifetime, President Obama is one of the few that I think I probably would actually enjoy personal time with. The media always view things from a different perspective. They tend to favor colorful extroverts like LBJ. They can't help preferring extrovert Trump to introvert Clinton, despite Trump's resemblance to Jabba the Hutt.

[​IMG]

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Hillary blames Colin Powell for her unsecured home email server. I'm surprised she hasn't blamed him for her Iraq War vote, too.

9. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's funny how so many focus on her Iraq vote and ignore all the others. With the way people carry on about it, you would think she had been president dictator then and single handedly given the order to move on in.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

She's the only 2016 presidential candidate who voted for the Iraq War.

11. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

12. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

What the hell is wrong with news agencies these days? Mr Powell's personal correspondence was stolen and the media waves it about publicly? They are essentially partnering with hackers, providing motivation for future invasions of privacy.

And what for? This isn't some whistleblower leak identifying important examples of government wrongdoing; and it doesn't have any important revelations about the candidates. It's quite literally stolen private letters made of personal gossip that serves no public purpose.

The media is acting like a school yard bully, having stolen some kid's diary out of his bag, and running around the playground outing everything and making everyone laugh about it.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What's funny is theres still not a peep in the media about the missing 22 million emails leading up to the Iraq war, or the fact that Karl Rove refused to testify about them to congress.

Not a ****ing peep.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_White_House_email_controversy#cite_note-9

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Because it is entirely political, and not as some have claimed, Congress doing the duty of oversight.

15. zin macrumors 6502

Check out stilldickingbimbos.com (SFW)

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think it is a terrible thing that we seem to accept as some sort of fait accompli that a person's private e-mail communications can be hacked and published, pretty much at will, by criminals and agents of a hostile foreign Government.

I feel very bad for Colin Powell. I'm sure he feels tremendously embarrassed at having what he thought were his private musings shared with the entire world.

Note here: Colin Powell isn't accused of doing anything wrong. He's been out of office, working in the private sector, for eight years now. He's not under investigation or indictment. He's simply a former solider and public servant; and highly skilled and respected one at that. And the damned Russians think nothing of invading his privacy?

Everyone is entitled to privacy. Hillary Clinton is. So is Donald Trump; Barack Obama; the CEO of Goldman Sachs; Derek Jeter and Brad Pitt. So too and you and me. Your mom and dad. Your boss, your high school gym teacher.

And we've lost that.

Now, you can make an argument about encryption. That, if the FBI or your local police department get a search warrant, they can - or can not - get into your phone or computer. There are arguments to be made on either side of that.

But this is different. This isn't a law enforcement agency conducting a legitimate investigation into a crime or suspected wrongdoing. Its just random criminals exploiting an innocent citizen's private communications for their own perverted purposes.