College and the rMBP (Buying Advice/Best Time to Buy)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nyy8, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Hi MR,

I'm in my senior year of high school right now, getting ready to enter college in Fall of 2016. It seems like a long time away, but wow does time go fast.

I've been using a Mac for the last 5 years, I've loved it and now the time has come where I need a Laptop in the coming year for my internship, coming up this summer, and for my studies.

I'm going to be pursuing a Bachelors in Computer Science, something I've always wanted to do since I was 11 or 12.

Enough Backstory, here comes my question and I'm open to advice anymore has. I'm looking to spend about ~$2,500 on a college laptop. I've worked the last 2 years, and I feel this would be an worthwhile investment since the laptop can still be used after college.

Now I'm strongly considering a spec'd out rMBP. 512gb SSD, 16GB ram. Would this be good enough for college? or should I go over to the windows side and get a beefy windows laptop for $2,500.

When would be the right time to buy? I have the money in my account now since I've been working the last 2 years. I don't need the computer until June, since that is when I start my internship.

Also, I specifically chose rMBP with the upgraded graphics because I really enjoy video games and want to be able to game on the go. I'm not looking to max out very game, but I'm looking to play them well enough.

2. One Cool Cat macrumors newbie

One Cool Cat

Recommendation (if you need one NOW): Can't go wrong with a new 15" rMBP (2015). You can save a little bit more money going with a refurb as Apple's refurbished machines are typically very good for the price. Be sure to pick up the model with the discrete graphics card if you expect to do some gaming on the go. You'll have a very capable machine and practically a desktop replacement. The extra saved money by going the refurbished route can be put towards an external display, accessories, food, etc..

Alternatives:

If refurbs aren't your style I usually check this guide for deals. B&H has the benefit of not having to pay sales tax if shipping outside of NY, so you can save a little bit of money there. Not sure about Adorama.

If You Can Wait:

If you don't have a strong need to get one by the end of this year, then I would highly recommend waiting until Spring 2016, save some more money, and get the (eventual) refresh. There is going to be one, it's only a matter of when. Given that Intel has finally released the future SKU's for their Skylake platform, we have a fairly good idea of what the future holds for the rMBP line (Thunderbolt 3, discrete graphics refresh, better iGPU performance, better battery life, USB3.1/-C, etc.). The goal is to maximize longevity and "future-proofness", so I strongly recommend - if there is no dire need to purchase one now - to continue saving money and wait until Spring 2016.

tl;dr 2015 rMBP 15" w/ discrete graphics if you need one now. If not, wait until next year and see where things are.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well then buy a razer blade, unless apple change their attitude to graphics cards (can't see that happening) it will be a middling AMD card in the next update, games just run better on NVIDIA silicon.