College is not Day Care

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Yep something is very wrong with today's PC "my feelings are hurt" in colleges! IMHO the term of "helicopter parents" have created a generation of monsters that want to teardown our normal lives!

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Ha, i thought "helicopter parents" meant those who perform the helicopter sex position :D

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

[SafeSpace] I think if we just let their mommies continue making play dates, much of this would go away. [/SafeSpace]

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Some days I feel a draft will set our society just right. Let an over zealous drill sergeant make some of these kids run back and forth from post to post with their pants around their ankles yelling "I'm a ****ing idiot".

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

College/university used to be a place where people went to have their minds opened and to open the minds of others; to have their ideas challenged and to challenge others on theirs; now, it's a place where they all want everyone to agree with themselves and hum kum-ba-yah on the lawn in front of the admin building. No wonder they're graduating and can't find jobs, they're too busy losing sight of the purpose of higher education.

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I think college should be a place where you are safe to say anything and try to develop whatever crazy idea or theory you want. The safety net that college offers is what allows certain risks to be taken. This is why I don't care that Obama may or may not have studied some Islamic ideas in college, and I won't ever hold it against anyone for doing something really stupid in college.

However, safe to try and explore ideas doesn't mean safe from others trying to explore conflicting ideas. Part of trying and developing new ideas also means developing a thick skin that only comes form failure and being proven wrong. That second part is what today's college kids don't have.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Maybe the school should considered broadening their focus outside their "unapologetic commitment to the truth of Christ and the truth of Scripture," and they might improve the quality of the students they attract.

9. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Reminds me of an old saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me".

It is pretty pathetic hearing about all these college students protest over spilt milk.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

yeah because only that school has issues with worthless oxygen thieves who are hurt by simple words....

11. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Neat.

What do you think of the college president's own words on this thread/subject?

12. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This extreme aspects of the PC culture seems to be firmly rooted in the English speaking world. So far I haven't been able to find any event happening here in mainland Europe, but to be fair the whole PC phenomenon never was strong here.

I some times have trouble believeing that things can be that bad, sports without winners, everybody passes exams, nobody may criticise/dislike, in USA schools.

All parents want a safe enviroment for their children, but the extreme PC world creates children who will suffer in the real world.

13. jkcerda, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

no kidding
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...hool-No-it-was-merely-a-deferred-success.html
    [​IMG]

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

From the article:

I'll be sure to remember Dr Piper's words the next time Conservatives get worked up over flag burnings or Piss-Christs. Or a store clerk wishes them "Happy holidays!"

The reality, as well know, is that Conservatives are just a "politically correct" as the most strident Marxist-Feminist lesbian African-American Studies undergraduate. They just wig out out over different stuff.

15. Happybunny macrumors 68000

It's a bit different here.
    Last week I took my granddaughter to hockey (Field Hockey) practice, just watching them smack each other with their sticks, while shouting abuse, showed me they want to win.
    These are in the age group 10-14 years old, they play hard to win it's deadly serious, you're in it you want to win it.
    Last month in the PeeWee 6- 10 years group, one girl broke her leg, last week she was standing along the side line shouting support, she cannot wait till she gets back into the game.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

He sounds victimized.

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I think the closest you may see is in Germany and their decades long guilt and hypersensitivity. But nothing to the extent where you can't keep score in a football match, they'd lose their **** if that ever happened.

18. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Ha! Then his words were indeed effective.

Between the inevitable, growing "safe zone" backlash, and the increasing opportunities to attend high-level university courses online, it must indeed be a scary time for the politically correct university admins.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm finding many of these post to be triggering. Can you please couch them in spoiler tags?

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I think this is overstated

This is a such a smear on young Americans. First, this meme is based on two images taken out of their original context. The first is from a WWII-era rationing poster. The original tag is "Do with less — so they'll have enough!" and the man in the image was likely an actor in New York.

The second is an image of "pajama boy," or Ethan Krupp, who worked for Organizing for Action, part of an effort to get young people talking about Obamacare. (Which might explain how Ethan Krupp became such a target for conservatives in 2013.)

Both images are essentially advertising, and tell us very little about what 27-year olds look like in two different eras.

And, the question is: why doesn't this image represent 27-year old Americans:

[​IMG]

Because this seems to represent part of the experience of 27-year old American men and women, just as easily as that image of the coffee drinking solider from WWII, except this guy was actually in combat.

21. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

I love watching libs eat their own. It's so bad that you have black kids making fake threats against universities. Sure, they only get 3rd degree warnings, but it's progress!

22. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Why can't it be a place where you say whatever crazy idea or theory you want and face your own consequences? Why does it have to be made "safe"? Are others not free to challenge your crazy ideas and theories?

23. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I meant safe in terms of free from risking financial hardship or oppression. Meaning, expressing an idea will not result in being fired, and expressing an idea will not result in being discriminated against. Those are typically consequences in an adult world, and they are fine in that world. A great part of college is that it offers this safety net that lets young adults take risks.

Safe does not mean not being challenged. Safe doesn't mean it has to be easy.

24. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

There's a difference between challenging ideas in healthy debate versus trying to silence/smear/demean people or destroy their careers/lives/reputations because you don't agree with one of their ideas. That's what a lot of these entitled college pricks are trying to do now.

However, blaming colleges or college students is short-sighted and oversimplification. This is simply a symptom of a larger problem in society nowadays where people don't want to hear anything from viewpoints they don't agree with.

To an extent, this is why Congress can't get anything done. Both sides won't even listen to the other side, or try to find common ground to compromise.

25. bradl, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl