College Ordered Student to Alter Religious Views on Homosexuality, Or Be Dismissed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by william sire, Jul 27, 2010.

1. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/27/georgia-university-tells-student-lose-religion-lawsuit-claims/
    They would say that after in fact that is exactly what they are in engaged in doing to her. Perhaps what they define as not discriminating is they do not discriminate on the basis of students "liberal" or "progressive" moral, religious, political or personal views or beliefs. Notwithstanding the actions of the university are wrong. This is not the beginning of the persecution of christians in modern age but the boldest I have seen. They are masquerading this with nothing. One has consider what the next step will be.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And yet Christians think it's OK to persecute us, and do so quite openly. Not saying it's right, but it stings when it happens to one of you, doesn't it?

You might want to use this as a learning point..."Do unto others..."

Somehow I doubt you will.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You're not going to be much use as a counsellor for people experiencing problems connected with gender or orientation if all you can honestly say is: "It's your choice, live with it or straighten up".

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That is correct. If I were part of the faculty, I'd be quite alarmed by her attitude.

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

In other words, when dealing with a student facing sexual orientation issues, which is occasionally necessary for a school counselor, she is unable to separate her personal biases from her professional responsibilities and perform the job she seeks in a sensitive and appropriate manner, and is therefore unsuited for the role.

I would have a similar observation about an atheist school counselor who could not interact professionally with religious students, so don't imagine an anti-Jesus conspiracy where there isn't one. Being a good counselor has nothing to do with forcing others to conform to your personal beliefs.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

christians_oppressed.gif

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

It is hard to tell from the article, but I am presuming that the university's decision comes from the field of study the student is pursuing, and their concern that her beliefs will hinder her ability to be an effective councilor.

I'm assuming if her major was History, or Economics, or Mathematics, then the University wouldn't care what her beliefs are.

8. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

Need I say more?
    But in all honesty, You can't have crazy bias's like that if you're trying to be a councilor. Seriously you're trying to be a councilor, you have to learn to tolerate all sorts of people.

Another thing. She's suing for her right to be intolerant. Thats just hilarious.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Quite. Its like a pacifist signing up for the army and then complaining when they were asked to shoot people.

Definitely.

If that was the case this wouldn't be acceptable.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

She hasn't been told to alter her religious views on homosexuality. Thread title is wrong.

11. Queso Suspended

If she was in maths class and argued that Pi = 3 like it says in the Bible, then told all her professors they were wrong because of what it says in the Bible, and then got dismissed because her term exams gave all the wrong answers because she would not accept that Pi != 3, would you say she was being persecuted then?

Face it. She's wrong on this issue. If you support her mistaken opinion you are also wrong. Whatever the Bible says on the subject is wrong too, because that's just a collection of thoughts and stories written by long ago people who didn't know better. Which is all well and good, but not appropriate for the course she has chosen which requires more empathy and understanding than she can obviously give.

Transfer the student to a theology course. She'll be happier, as will everyone else.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Good point.

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

An intolerant counselor is an ineffective counselor.

14. william sire thread starter macrumors regular

william sire

I would agree with this if she was being trained by the university to counsel in specificity for them. However she is not trianing for a position at the university, instead she went to be educated at the university to make a career where it is no concern of the university what she does in her own office.

15. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Except that they're educating her, not hiring her. It's more like kicking someone out of a marksmanship class for being a pacifist.

Except she isn't doing exams wrong or getting bad grades.

(And P.S., the Bible doesn't say pi = 3; people have idiotically interpreted it to say that, but it doesn't.)

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

As one would expect the fox news comments are hilarious. Fox posts religious bait and the supernaturalists run wild.

17. Queso Suspended

Using the mathematics argument again, if she was allowed to continue with the fantasy that Pi = 3, then graduated and went to teach a whole generation of children that Pi = 3 the university would have done a disservice to every single one of those children. This women is not cut out for her chosen career. She doesn't have the necessary qualities. She should realise that whilst she is still young enough to change her plans, and hopefully go and succeed at something else.

18. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

You would think that would be the job of her employers. Also, see my response above as to why your example is a poor one.

I knew an imam who studied at a Christian seminary. Should he have been dismissed because he would have made a poor pastor (i.e. he had no intention of being a pastor, but wanted to learn more about Christian theology)? Of course not. A school's job is to educate.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This is about the equivalent of an Amish person going to college to become a computer engineer, but perhaps with an extra serving of religious fundamentalism and hatred.

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Nonsense. The university is educating her and have a right to set the basic proficiency requirements that she enters the workforce with as a graduate of the institution. It is absolutely of concern to the university what knowledge and capabilities their graduates have when they enter the workforce with a degree bestowed by them.

In degrees in the medical field it is not just about passing the didactic component. It is also about passing stringent components on interpersonal skills and professional conduct. Something that is absolutely vital when dealing with others such as a counselor does. If she can't stay objective due to her religious bigotry it's the door.

21. Queso Suspended

I saw that. There are plenty of idiotic interpretations of what the Bible supposedly says about an entire bunch of subjects. Exactly why it should not be used as a reference point when advising vulnerable youngsters on something they are most likely struggling with as it is.

If this student cannot separate her religious views from her professional conduct she is not mentally equipped to do this job.
    And a counsellor's job is to listen, understand and aid.

22. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Right, because ALL a counselor does is deal with LGBT issues just like ALL a computer engineer deals with is computers. Oh wait...

23. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

A university has an obligation to protect its reputation by not conferring degrees on people it does not think are capable of representing its degree program. If you're not going to give the person the degree, the right thing to do is get them out of the program so that they're not wasting their time or the time of their teachers.

24. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I think you missed the main part of my post. I.e. She wasn't getting bad grades or failing exams.

The reason your analogy was poor wasn't "because the Bible doesn't really say that." That was just an aside.

25. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

You either fail someone for not being able to complete the coursework or you give them the degree. What test did she fail? If she won't be representing the degree program, wouldn't she fail the exams that deal with the part she can't properly represent?