College student seeking advice on when to purchase a new MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by k.na, Aug 12, 2008.

  1. k.na macrumors member

    k.na

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2008
    Location:
    New York
    #1
    I realize I'm probably not alone, so hopefully this thread can help others in the same situation.

    First off, let me introduce myself as it is my first time posting here. My name's Kelly and I'm about to start my senior year of college. I'm a current (soon-to-be former) PC user. This summer I started working at an advertising agency that entirely used Macs. I had debating switching in the past, but since I grew up using Windows and had more familiarity with it, I never did.

    However, using Macs everyday for the past three months really changed my opinion, so I finally decided a couple weeks ago that I'll be buying a new MacBook Pro. Which brings me to my question today!


    Now that I'm set on getting a MBP, my only issue is deciding when. I would buy now to take advantage of the Back-To-School promo with the free iPod touch, BUT:

    1) the rumors of an updated MBP coming up this fall (in addition to rumors of an updated iPod touch, which isn't that huge of a deal but combined with the updated MBP, I'd like to take advantage of both)

    and

    2) the recent issues with the defected NVIDIA graphics cards

    If I'll be spending around $2000 on a laptop, I'd really prefer that the one I buy is fairly recent and up-to-date, not about to be completely updated in the near future. And clearly, I'd prefer NOT to buy something with a known defect part. For some people, these two options wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I wouldn't be using my laptop as just a casual web-surfing/checking e-mail device. I am looking to get into advertising design/production so essentially, I see this notebook purchase as an investment that I'd like to make sure is a smart one.

    The most obvious answer is that I just hold off on buying (even with the Back2School promo) and wait until the new MBPs are released this fall, but I have a few concerns.

    1) will the updates be significant enough to warrant waiting?
    2) will there be a significant price increase in the updated comparable 15" MBP model compared to the current one?
    3) will the new MBPs have resolved the NVIDIA issue?
     
  2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

    Insulin Junkie

    Joined:
    May 5, 2008
    Location:
    Mainland Europe
    #2
    1.) Unlikely you will notice a realistic power boost with the coming Montevina MBP's. You will in a couple of years when Nehalem comes out.
    2.) Nope, don't think so.
    3.) Who knows. I've been following the NVIDIA issue and I'm pretty suspicious of them at the moment, even going so far that I'd recommend holding off, even though the issue does not affect some units and affects some in more minor ways than it affects others. It still seems like a gamble to me though.
     
  3. kolax macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
    #3
    Welcome to MacRumors!

    1. The MacBook Pro's have been rumoured for updates for ages, so you could end up waiting months. The MacBook's look set for a major update next month, but I doubt anything will happen to the MacBook Pro's until MacWorld San Franciso in Jan 09. But you never know with Apple. As for performance increases, can't imagine much more with the new platform. But it would be a re-designed case that would appeal to me; especially if they provide removable hard drives.

    2. If anything, a price decrease. Apple is reducing the price of everything these days, iPods, MobileMe, iMac's came down when they were updated. I'd come close to saying they definitely won't put the price up and almost definitely lower it slightly.

    3. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple didn't use nVidia cards again. This issue is major, and really doesn't make nVidia appealing to manufactures. In saying that, there still hasn't been an official word from Apple on the issue, so who knows.
     
  4. k.na thread starter macrumors member

    k.na

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2008
    Location:
    New York
    #4
    Do you foresee a price drop in the future updated iPod touches as well? And approx. when do you think they'll be releasing those?

    I'm just trying to see if the buying now for the sole purpose of the BackToSchool promo is going to be worth it in the long run. Thanks!
     
  5. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #5
    I would say buy it and get the iPod touch.
    You can be forever waiting for a new model, technology changes at a very fast rate and you cant just wait for tomorrow or you'll have nothing, no updates are confirmed to be soon and I doubt they will be worth the wait.
    You will get some good use out of it, learning to use it, customize to your preferences and get programs, have a play with programs etc... ,all setup before you go back to school.
    That's time well used in my opinion.
     
  6. savvos macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2007
    #6
    I'm in a similar waiting game to you. Do you need a MacBook Pro right away? One of the options I'm considering is geting a MacBook now with all the free goodies and waiting a year to get a Nehalem MBP at the end of next summer. Nehalem will have an integrated memory controller which should boost the speed a fair amount.
     
  7. Fenir macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    Location:
    Kalamazoo, MI
    #7
    Hey man, I"ve been waiting since march-april for an updated MBP. Not even for anything major, just some small speed boosts.

    Anyways, I start school the Sept. 2nd and, since the new Macbooks wont be until Mid-Late September, I'm buying mine this week. If you think you can hold out, by all means do it. Otherwise, get it now.
     
  8. k.na thread starter macrumors member

    k.na

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2008
    Location:
    New York
    #8
    I would only hold out on the B2School promo and wait for the September updates (IF there is one) if it's going to be a significant update/redesign. What do you guys think the likelihood of that is?


    And also there's the NVIDIA defect. That's a big concern of mine.
     
  9. jkane08 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2008
    Location:
    Philadelphia
    #9
    i'm in a very similar situation, i'm going to be a freshman and will be doing video editing on final cut for a video blog for the school's website that they asked me to do. they've bought me final cut and a video camera, so i realized my best option for portability would be to get a macbook pro. i have an imac, and would love to take that with, but i'm going to be traveling back and forth every other weekend or so, and it'd be nice to have the portability to take my work with me to the school's office instead of having a desktop in my dorm.

    i keep backtracking on whether i'm waiting or not for the new one to come out..as of now, my decision is to buy this weekend. i leave for school the 21st of august. i was going to take my imac to school with me for the first month, but i don't really think there will be an advantage to waiting.

    hope this helped
     

Share This Page