College suspends student for six months for saying black women are ‘not hot’

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by smellysox8, Dec 16, 2015.

1. smellysox8 macrumors regular

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/25501/

I guess this is the consequence when you pander to the loudest morons.

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Of course everyone knows, black women are extremely hot. :cool:

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

From the article:

But also:

So wrongdoing on both sides I guess. Not the smartest thing to do or say, but suspension seems somewhat OTT I think.

4. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

isn't that a personal opinion? It doesn't mean thats universal to everyone....
    Kinda daft thing to say at the point in time however.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I hope all were identified in that conversation, along with others, which I am sure have taken place, who posted anything remotely crass, were suspended or expelled. Not just the two mentioned in the article.

6. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

On one hand, college students should learn the lesson that they can lose their jobs for this kind of behavior. On the other hand, give me a ****ing break.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Dug a bit into it. A story from the Colorado Springs Gazette can be found here.

Colorado College is a small, private, liberal arts college. During the month of November 2015, other racially insensitive posts appeared on Yik Yak.
    And ...
    So it would appear that there had been a pattern of this going on recently, and was not simply a single, stupid post being wildly blown out of proportion.

Colorado College is a private institution, and has made it's decision in this matter. They obviously don't want Thaddeus Pryor as one of their students, and I would suggest that if he's interested in continuing his college career, that he find somewhere else to do that.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

So, the "not hot" comment is what put it over the edge?

9. smellysox8 thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting that is your stance in regards to private institutions. Is your stance the same in regards to bakeries refusing to make cakes for gay weddings?

Regardless, how is Pryor responsible for all the other posts on Yik Yak. Do you think an initial 2 year suspension is an appropriate punishment for his opinion?

10. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yes. The careers of professors have been put at stake as well. Sometimes maybe that's appropriate. Sometimes it certainly seems over the top. And of course from the outside and based on what shows up in media, it's hard to say where lines need to be drawn. I remember reading the piece I've quoted from below and thinking people need to get a grip... but exactly where to draw those lines, good luck to all those struggling with it as a professional issue in higher education.

Is free speech on campus under threat in age of 'empathetic correctness'?

11. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

My stance is absolutely the same for them as well. Both the college and bakeries have the right to refuse service service to anyone. Neither can systematically refuse service to people within certain protected classes simply because someone belongs in that protected class. The college is not denying him service because of any class he belongs to, they're denying him service because of his personal conduct, which again, any business has the right to do.

We know he's responsible for at least one post. And it's that one post that he's being suspended for.

No. I think it's excessive. But on the other hand, bullies, bigots and blowhards have long found refuge for their hurtful stupidity by saying, "it was only a joke." So my sympathy for him is minimal. Hopefully he learns something from the whole episode.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

A (now former) student at a SUNY college (Oneonta) was recently charged with a class D felony terroristic threat and some other stuff for having made a Yik Yak post about shooting up the school and "beware Oneonta" or some such.

I guess he will have learned something. But did he think it was a joke? The campus and state police and school administrators certainly didn't. People need to wake up and think this stuff through if they're pranking. Pranks like that don't play any more (if they ever did).

And Yik Yak users' anonymity... is obviously conditional. But no one reads TOS, right.

14. thekev, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Threatening the safety of others is quite different. It may not always be possible to tell jokes from genuine threats with 100% accuracy. If someone judges incorrectly, it can result in casualties. This is actually one area where I think parents and teachers should be explicit with children. Don't post jokes about killing people.

I wonder how they would have confirmed any others. He only admitted to one as per your link.

It's also silly to bring up their private status in this context. Liberal arts colleges including this one do receive FAFSA funds and may receive other types of funding. Post 3 already mentioned the other parts of it. It's immature behavior, but there isn't any evidence mentioned that violent escalation was likely.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The entire Los Angeles school system shut down yesterday because of similar threats.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Why does it need to escalate to violence to be taken seriously?

Since bakeries have come up ... consider if you walked into a bakery full of customers and loudly said, "Boy! You're products must be good, because your customers are so FAT!"

Would the bakery have the right to refuse you service?

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This is not even close to comparable. The bar for the bakery to eject someone is low, because they don't have the same degree of leverage over their customers. Colleges accept federal and sometimes state aid as well as loan programs. They do not refund all of this or the time involved if they expel someone for being a jerk.

18. citizenzen, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Good point.
    Are you suggesting that colleges can't or shouldn't suspend students for being jerks?

19. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

AT the end of the day, if you don;t have something nice to say about someone, it's best to keep your mouth shut. But that's not exactly a suspension-worthy offense. It's just a matter of someone voicing something that he should have kept to himself.

And on the topic of personal dating/"hotness" preference, that's one area where being politically correct has absolutely no place. Personally, I don't give a damn what anyone thinks about the women I choose to date or marry, as it's none of their damned business. This from a White guy who's dated and even married only Black women for his adult life - so someone thinks Black women are hot. Nothing against white women (was raised by one), or any other race, we're all just attracted to the types of people we're attracted to, which is our own business. OK, to be a Black woman who likes to date Asian guys, a Latina who likes Scandinavian women, or someone who wants to date the rainbow. It's all good. Yeah, I know, we're supposed to be completely open-minded in 2016 dating, but let's face it, a good many of us do have preferences. And that's OK.

But my momma raised me to hold my tongue, if I didn't have something nice to say about someone. That's just simple politeness, not something that needs to be regulated by PC police.

But this kid obviously has problems, because Black women are hot... LOL

20. FieldingMellish Suspended

Exactly. Kid's gotta have his eyes checked.

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I would like to remind you that are you aren't Alex Trebeck. It would be nice if you would write this as a statement.

Anyway I don't think colleges should suspend kids just for being jerks. This doesn't appear to be targeted harassment. They just chose whatever they thought would be an effective insult. The college doesn't want bad PR, so they made it go away. See post 3. There isn't any mention of suspension for any of those kids, because no one cares about those insults. It's still jerk behavior. It's not worthy of sanctioning.

22. MagicHAM macrumors regular

MagicHAM

He should be able to say anything he wants without being reprimanded for it. Sure enough people don't like other peoples views i get it but really suspension because of a small comment.

Id like to point the double standards with this...

If a black guy said this about white woman this wouldn't even be an issue.

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I hope he tells the school to go **** themselves and never goes back. What a joke of an institution.

24. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Most schools now have a set process for disinviting a student, and the considerations usually include some step with input from a group having student representatives. This is certainly better than back in my college days, when one could be suspended or even expelled by a housemother, dean of students, etc., for infractions that today would seem less than trivial.