Colleges across the country give new perks to illegal immigrant students

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 9, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/0...-new-perks-to-illegal-immigrant-students.html
    so employers are NOT supposed to hire illegals but we are going to fund higher education for them anyways? I think it's time for BOTH my kids to become illegals, the benefits are there.

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

The last paragraph is convincing:

Though the issue shouldn't be just about children, since the other hot topics nowadays and over the last several years or longer include parents NOT paying for college, in a day and age when not just wages have stagnated or dropped (devalued), putting more pressure on all (especially parents that otherwise might or would), but parents saying things like "you can afford it by taking a summer's job" while not noting costs and inflation compared to their glory days back when ABBA was popular being nothing more a 4 decades-old DREAM at this point...

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

there is limited room in many colleges, so now not only are legal students competing for jobs , they will also compete to get into classrooms against people who should not only not be here in the U.S, but should not be able to legally work once they graduate.

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Can I self identify as an illegal and go back to school?

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

sure is tempting as hell.

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Oh. I'm LGBTQ as well.

The Kaiser Permanente Health Care Career Scholarship Program awards $2,000-$10,000 scholarships to illegal aliens, and PFLAG National Scholarship Program will fund illegals who self-identify as LGBT with $1,000 to $5000 a year if they have a plan to work within the LGBTQ community after.

7. jerwin macrumors 65816

The University of California system (a curious omission on your part) has a 25.5 billion dollar budget, and a 14 billion dollar endowment. 8.4 million dollars is hardly 'staggering".

8. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

25.5 Billion??? :eek: <edit> Yep, that's right and it looks like 18% of the "expenditures from core funds" goes to Student financial aid. </edit>

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

8.4 million on people who
    A) are NOT supposed to be here and
    B) are NOT supposed to be LEGALLY hired
    is a STAGGERING WASTE OF MONEY.

10. zin macrumors 6502

It is 'staggering' when you are spending it on people who are breaking the law. It sends the wrong message and is unfair to both the native population and legal immigrant students.

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

thank you. I also already mentioned that legal students will also have to compete with illegals to get into the class room.

12. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It's all politics. Do you really think that politicians really care about the welfare of illegals other than getting their votes ? It similar to the inner cities where politicians pander for their vote and then forget them after the election.

13. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

If you are going to deport them, deport them. Though I think the government should get tough on businesses hiring illegals, that would provide a big disincentive for illegal immigration. However it seems (in the states near Mexico at least) that they tend to rely on the cheap labour these immigrants have to subside on. Often no capitalist will = No political will.

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

deporting them is another issue, I don't particularly care about it.

15. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

1) In California a prisoner is more than 4 times the cost of a student.
    2) Studies have shown it is better to educate than incarcerate.

16. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I see myself as American, or rather a "Scottish Irish British Danish Norwegian French Bisexual Kinsey 5 American". Just easier and more to the point to say "American"... I've not been fond of labels after a certain point, there do appear to be times when labels can create unity but times when they do more to serve disunity and deconstruction.

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Imagine how many landmines 8.4 million would buy.

18. zin macrumors 6502

That's not an argument against the inherent unfairness in the policy. That's an argument against a particular penalty for their breaking of the law.

19. jerwin macrumors 65816

Well, to be fair, they do have a hospital system, and they also build nukes.