Colleges Need a Safe Space from the Flag

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Now colleges are flying the flag at half mast after the election.

Hampshire college ordered all their flags to be lowered to half mast after the election. After people protested the move, the college then ordered all US flags removed from the college for the foreseeable future.

I can see why the college students are so screwed up over safe spaces.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

A college. One college. Not colleges.

My suggestion ... if you have a problem with the decision that single college made, then write them and tell them how disappointed you are in their action.

But if you try to make the issue bigger than it is in order to fulfill and further your political agenda, then you're grossly over-reacting and have something in common with the college you're complaining about.

3. sim667 macrumors 65816

Republican voters need a safe space from the safe spaces it seems.

4. aaronvan, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It's an improvement over their usual flag burning. /snark

5. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

How about students go to college to study and learn the academic subjects they applied for? If they spent half the time studying that they do with their other pursuits then they wouldn't need extra credit to stop them flunking.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

In comparison to past cohorts of students, students today have to learn more than students in the past, are assessed more often and to a higher standard (being educated in a system entirely at the mercy of previous generations), have much less personal attention from teachers and lecturers, have a more uncertain future (in spite of their education), are more likely to accrue crippling debt at the start of their working career, face the prospect of moving farther away from their home to find a job, are competing now against people from all over the world rather than one little corner, and face a backlash from less educated people who know little about what happens at universities.

Perhaps you should consider cutting them a break.

Meanwhile, people in Asia and Europe, our two biggest competitors, revere education and do not belittle it.

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

But the other pursuits are what's more important to them. Most colleges now are simply training centers for future limp-dick do-nothings who feel the world owes them something. Completely unaware of how the world actually works and what this country is supposed to be about. The sad thing is that their parents got roped into spending all that money to send them to these places very possibly without knowing what they are REALLY teaching. Just sad.

8. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

College today is easier than years ago. Nowadays it's hard to fail a subject due to grade inflation. Debt accrued is a personal choice but that can only be solved by the Federal Gov't getting out of the student loans business. You shouldn't be getting cheap loans from my tax dollars. Personal attention from teachers and lecturers? College isn't high school where there's a teacher to hold your hand. It's an institution where you're required to use your initiative and figure out the solutions to problems. There's too much coddling of students at college nowadays. Perhaps if colleges did less of that then there'd be a better calibre of student graduating in the USA.

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I'm appalled by this!! Yes flag at half staff is a indication of mourning or distress, but it should be upside down if they want help. Seriously the lack of flag etiquette amongst millennial these days, their parents burnt the flags back in their day.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

OP is hyperbole. Nothing to really see here folks. Just another attempt to name call a group of people precious snowflakes.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Not only that, I had no idea that the students of a given college are the administration as well. Every time I see one of these nonsense stories about how College X or Y did this or that and then see the comments talking about "this generation" I just laugh.

Hey idiots, you realize the students don't run these schools right?

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Mean nothing if you dare to "disrespect" our chinese made pieces of fabric.

14. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

I work at two of the most elite institutions of higher education in the country. Your assertions about college being easier than it was years ago are patently false. I suggest you read some of the history of higher education and stop relying on your intuition to tell you what you think you know about higher education.

Edit: In addition, higher education has myriad benefits both personal and communal. Those tax dollars you bemoan giving away drive innovation and generate massive overall civic and economic benefits.

15. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

That makes you impartial then! Unlike you, I am not biased to a particular point of view, so my position still stands. In term of my tax dollars being a catalyst to "drive innovation and generate massive overall civic and economic benefits", well if by that you mean increased tuition fees so that universities can build new swanky buildings and give their president big pay raises, then more money for all! The reality is that federal tuition is a blank checkbook for yet more money to be squandered by incompetent universities. Further, it also lowers the bar for those who are able to go to university and we all know that once you're in college that faculty are under immense pressure to pass everybody at all costs.

It's the spiral of death for higher education all driven by my tax dollars. It makes sick just thinking about it.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Yesterday I read a nice thing in Kennan's memoirs I am reading now. He basically says that he graduated from Princeton feeling that he didn't really learning anything.
    He says that it's not demeaning Princeton, but quite the opposite. He was able to graduate without teachers that pushed their prejudices on him, but that actually gave him the freedom to gradually form his own prejudices.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yet he went on to be a professor there.

Interesting to think that he spent years teaching students nothing.

I wonder if that's how he'd describe his time there.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Who knows. He probably tried to be true to his self, but his years as a student were much different than when he was a teacher. After all, after he witnessed firsthand the Nazi marching in Prague, the Nazi experience in Berlin, and the Soviet purges it might have been difficult to not push at least to an extent the notion that those regimes were bad leaving "freedom" of choice to his students.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Moreover, these stories always treat college students as one monolithic bloc of 20-year-olds, but my college experiences tell a different story.

Just from the people that I know currently going to college:

A 50-year-old professional working on her MBA, a physicist in his 30s finishing up research for his PhD, and a Marine with three combat tours now working on his B.A. in history.

It's easy to hammer away at colleges and universities as "safe spaces" for snowflakes, but the reality is much more complicated.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Something tells me that he'd be more than a little disappointed to think that as a professor he failed to teach his students anything. And if faced by a student who'd make that same claim, I'm sure he'd feel that said more about the student's arrogance and willingness to learn, than it would about the lack of knowledge he was trying to impart.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Remember, he didn't say that his teachers didn't teach him anything. He said that it was the feeling he had, then he realized that in reality it was a 'freedom' that they gave him.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I haven't read the book. I can only go by how you summarized it ...

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

That's what I wrote, "feeling".
    But I get your point; I just found it an interesting thought.

24. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Who is the we in "we all know?" Virtually nothing you said here is accurate. Not to mention that the share (in %) of public funding that goes towards higher education is way down from where it was just a generation ago. Read a book.

25. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

None of this rant matches up with reality. At all.