Colleges Try to Comfort Students Upset by Trump Victory

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacAndMic, Nov 13, 2016.

1. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Link
    http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/11/09/colleges-try-to-comfort-students-upset-by-trump-victory/

As much as this may seem like a knock on liberals, I see it as a knock on parenting. This is what happens when kids get trophies for participation, are never told no and grow up in a PC environment, they do not develop coping or reasoning skills.

2. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Yeah this stuff is beyond stupid. I don't mind so much the "you were up late watching the election" stuff because college isn't work, and i think it's good that students are engaged.

3. SusanK, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016

SusanK macrumors 68000

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Again: What are these precious little snowflakes going to do when they get out into the real world--which has no safe zones? Overload suicide hotlines?

You know the tune to the song, right?

"Far above Cayuga's waters,
    There's an awful smell;
    Some will say that it's a cesspool,
    Others say Cornell."

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They'll demand safe zones from their employers and make everyone else's life a living hell due to HR policies.

Soon you'll only be permitted to put enough cream in your coffee to make it a certain shade of brown, any lighter and it might offend someone.

6. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

My favorite part of these threads is the silence from Teh Librals until Huffington Post has given them a rhetorical question soundbite to bandy.

Keep waitin' 'till that mother ship lets you know what you are allowed to think.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You guys take the wrong thing away from this as usual (apologies to anyone who may have posted while I was typing). It may feel pretty terrible to see to see a known twitter troll elected president. They may be concerned about their futures, but this will pass.

People encounter an extremely depressing situations throughout their lives, but this may be a first for some of them. Let them process it on their own. It's how kids learn to deal with things, even if you feel this is a bit late for it.

8. Phoenixx Suspended

Phoenixx

This whole thing is seriously pathetic. These students are nothing more than a bunch of wimps. This is the kind of behaviour that should be expected from 5 year olds.

Exactly, this is how CHILDREN learn to deal with things.

The message to these students is simple: GROW UP!! YOU AREN'T 5 YEARS OLD ANYMORE.

You are training for the workforce, it's mean, it's tough, and if you are going to go and cry every time you don't get your way, you will be laughed at every step of the way.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You missed or chose to ignore my point. If they haven't experienced such a thing at this point in their lives, then this is still a first for them. My other point is that this isn't really an indication of future behavior.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Obama was the perfect president for these sniveling bedwetting snowflakes.

11. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

As a brown person, I'm already offended. I'm going to go hide in my little corner and cry because you hurt my feelings. You .. you ... you monster. :p

Also, I'm going to sue you as well for the mental trauma and stress you have caused me, and as such I will be asking for millions of dollars to cope with this, fully knowing that I will get a tens of thousands for free!

College students are engaging their independence away from the protection and shelter of their parents so I can understand your perspective as well. But college students are neither children nor fully matured adults either and I feel that they need a little push in the right direction to regain stronghold instead of "baby-fying" their emotions. Many college students have moved on, and we can see that because not all students are facing such an emotional circumstance.

Some of them are blowing it out of proportions thinking that Trump is some kind of Hitler who is going to gas Mexicans, African Americans, LGBT, illegals, women, and pretty much everyone but the white man; and no one is bothering to correct them or even tell them that their flat out foolish for thinking otherwise. Why? Because I think we want to protect them, even though they're adults now (at least in age, not in experience). The emotional investment in this election was very strong, but people are contemplating suicide over this, people are demanding things to be fixed and made right.

Are these emotional folks the same groups of people that are out there rioting and protesting, I don't know, and I don't think we'll ever be informed if these emotionally broken individuals are the ones out there protesting and rioting! If I had to make a guess, I would have to conclude that they might be because those who are left have moved on / don't care enough to protest or these could be ones who have completely shattered. If these are the protesters and rioters, than I have no sympathy for them because of the way they are acting (I respect protesting, but I think it's gone beyond that now in some places. I was watching a clip of Conway speaking on Fox and she was saying how the crowds in front of Trump Tower were spitting and booing them; that's not a peaceful protest).

Out of curiosity, I don't remember reading anything about colleges going this distance during previous elections.

I did think about this a lot (at this point) and I do see your point though. I guess it can be simplified down to a nasty breakup, or losing your pet, or even a family member ... those hurt a lot, and it takes time to heal. :( Different people have different ways of handling things.

I do sympathize for the truly hurt and I apologize if they are being mixed in with the protesting crowd; however I don't think I can usher in enough sympathy without knowing where these students stand in terms of the election results - do they accept it, or are they going to "try" to force a change because they didn't get what they wanted - because the students are the ones predominantly out there protesting and rioting for a Clinton victory. Hmm ... that sounds horrible, let me reword that. For those who are truly destroyed by the Trump win, I extend my heartfelt concerns and want to let you know that I am fully sympathetic towards you guys. Stay strong, keep your head up, and smile just a tiny bit -- I know you'll make it out even stronger, more happier and more confident than before. Peaceful protesters -- it's your right to do so. Keep up the peace approach! For those who are 'emotionally hurt' because you didn't get it your way, and are thus non-peacefully protesting (spitting and booing) / rioting that you reject Trump and want Hillary to be your queen ... grow up, life isn't fair. I won't be sympathetic to people who don't respect the property of others.

12. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

[​IMG]

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

One of my interns last week showed me an email from his school consoling students of Hillary's loss. It offered the schools Counseling Services information and other departments. It was nicely written and non-partisan.

I can understand why some students might be fearful of the Trump presidency. If their family has illegal aliens then they risk family members being deported. Scary stuff. But we know this is likely not to happen.

For those who have little effect by the election yet still this is the worst thing that has ever happened, they need to be reminded that there are far bigger travesties in life- like death, illness, injury, poverty, etc.

I grew up in an affluent area in an affluent, well educated family. I had probably every conceivable advantage in life but still have had very difficult things to deal with- life threatening illness, the death of my brother in his 20's. I work with the mentally ill and addicted, the bottom of society in our culture and know the things many of these people go through are nothing less than horrific.

Perspective is everything in life. Letting little things get in the way of success is sure to make life indefinitely miserable.

15. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Don't these kids have homework to do, or beer to drink, or pants to get into?

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

It's probably more a case of comforting them because the America they will be living in when they graduate will be a lot worse than the one they are living in now.

17. jerwin macrumors 68000

18. Meister Suspended

Meister

Gimme a ****ing break! :rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, Nov 13, 2016 ---
    I can't believe you are actually serious ...

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Who gave out those trophies for participation?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 14, 2016 ---
    After reading what happened yesterday yes, I can imagine lots of people are worried. Overturning Roe v Wade, giving an anti-Semite power. Why do those things? Why not continue improving America?

20. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

Having been around many students myself (after all I AM a student) I can associate with some of the sentiments expressed in this thread, yes some in my generation either don't know or simply aren't willing to deal with any kind of stress. The age old advice 'if live gives you lemons make lemonade' seems to have been substituted with 'if live gives you lemons, give it to someone and ask for a lemonade with extras'. I am not a big fan of this coddling and do think that as a generation we've mostly become a pain in the ass since every tiny thing that happens to us is naturally someone else's fault, and this transcends race, gender, social class.

That said, I do believe some of them have genuine concerns about their futures as life is seemingly going to become a lot more difficult than what they are used to. Conservative right and capitalism is often associated with a cold cut-throat society, doesn't always have to be so but the vast majority seems to be so, and that doesn't bode too well for the liberal globalist attitude of 'we are one world'. But as I said, they may have valid concerns, but going and hugging a dog is not a valid way to deal with things, that's a temporary gratification to give yourself a nice warm fuzzy feeling but it doesn't change anything about the reality. So please, my peers, after the initial venting, get yourselves together and work towards the better life you scream of, complaining and whining isn't going to change anything.

One more thing, where the bloody hell were you people when the election was still wide open? Why so much outrage only AFTER the results are announced? stop talking about change, and actually go be the change (as cliché that sounds it's true).

Disclaimer: I'm not a student in the US, but observed similar attitudes in many different environments, and I don't associate my self as neither conservative nor liberal (although I do lean a bit more centre right atm), I do find the blue vs red, donkey vs elephant, totally ridiculous and stupid since technically both parties want the same goal 'what is best for the country', they simply differ on finer details that could be found a compromise when discussed in the context of a cool-headed and rational debate.

21. rotlex macrumors 6502a

I would seriously love to see how this generation would handle growing up in the 60's or 40's either heading off to Vietnam or WWII. Seriously, how exactly would they handle that if they can't handle Trump being elected. I hate to sound like the so called hard core right, but for crying out loud, grow a set.

22. lowendlinux, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016

lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

In the same respect Trump, Clinton, and W couldn't handle heading off to Vietnam so I'd say they're much like their grandparents.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

On the other hand people who were involved in world war 2s refusal to discuss their problems caused by that war was likely hugely damaging.

24. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Still the Greatest Generation rather than Generation Butthurt.

25. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

We always think the younger generation is useless and they generally turn out alright.. boomers excluded