Colombian Athlete Arrested for Religious Tattoos

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eljanitor, Oct 14, 2011.

1. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Apparently he was shopping at a mall in Saudi Arabia, and because he had Religious tattoos on his arms exposed, he was arrested.

Heres an excerpt from the article:
    He wasn't making a noise or protesting anything. He just simply has a Jesus tattoo on his arm, along with some other religious tattoos that they do not want to see in that country.

So they arrested him for that. Do you think this is fair? He isn't even a citizen of the country.

Again what do you think?

You can read the article here: http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog...mbian-footballer-for-exposed-t?urn=sow-wp5693

2. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"Fair" has been outlawed too.

Their way, or the highway jail.

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Omg a non-muslim got arrested in a muslim country? This is a first, muslims are usually so tolerant toward other people/religions. Very unusual.

5. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

But they are such victims intolerance in America. Pfffff

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Of course, can't Muslim women be arrested in France for dressing in a manner that expresses their religion?

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

One country enforces a strict belief in one invisible man in the sky. Someone who has tattoos of a different invisible man in the sky visits said country. What could possibly go wrong?

If you go to a foreign country, you have to abide by their rules and laws, no matter how stupid they are. Simple as that.

8. eljanitor, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

eljanitor thread starter macrumors 6502

eljanitor

9. (marc), Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

(marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

This. I'm not sure whether they arrested him right away or asked him to cover it up before.

I agree with the guy who wrote the article, but I guess the cops just didn't want to deal with it.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

11. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Actually the nearest Tim Hortons is just across the street and down a level from there. :rolleyes:

It is shocking though, the victim did have a valid complaint and it's not like taking a picture there is a crime, hell there are a ton of Ryerson students who routinely make it a part of their photo projects.

But the Toronto story has little to do with religious intolerance in the OP, in fact it may be the opposite; it could be viewed as turning a blind eye to the abuses of faith and let people get away with crap done in the name of faith rather than being held to the rule of common law.

12. eljanitor thread starter macrumors 6502

eljanitor

I'm sure the Canadian Police had good reasons for the way they handled that situation.

13. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

14. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Uhhm why are you so sure?

To me it sounds like they were being lazy and totally irresponsible people aren't allowed to wander around attacking people or attempting to damage their property period.

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You understand that there are nearly a billion Muslims in the world, do you honestly think that a billion people feel the same way?
    I just queried a half-dozen, they universally feel that the Wahhabi (Salafi) adherents of Saudi Arabia are "nuts" and "give Muslims a bad name."

Of course, there are Muslims who drink, too.

Right.

The athlete probably didn't realize the prohibition against tattoos, or that someone would actually take it seriously enough to arrest him.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Religion is just utterly ridiculous, especially radical Islam. The devil would have to be wearing ice skates before you'd catch me in any of those middle eastern hellholes.

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

One of the great allies of the US and UK,they can do no wrong,invade Bahrain no problem,execute gays,women,children no probs they after all a huge customer of the arms trade.Carry on nothing unusual here.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If I'm traveling to some totalitarian craphole like Saudi Arabia, I think I would make sure to read up on every single law before I went and assume they would be enforced.

19. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

This

The "moral high ground" of the western world is always for sale to the highest bidder.

Acceptable currencies:

Oil
    Gold
    Diamonds
    Cheap Labor

etc.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

^^ This.

Similarly, I don't understand why people think it's a good idea to go hiking or mountaineering on the border of Iran or North Korea and then feign ignorance on why they end up in some kind of lock-up. OMG, this is North Korea? I thought we were no more than five kilometers out of Shanghai for sure. :rolleyes:

21. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

While I agree that this is just plain stupid and wrong, I don't think we earn the right to proclaim ourselves superior to those dirty, backwards foreigners until we take a hard look at how well-tolerated public displays of Islamic faith are in the west.

I have a tattoo of an invisible man on my arm. It was surprisingly cheap. And fast. Didn't hurt as much as I'd heard either.

22. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Is it exhausting to conflate that much, that often? Or does it get easier over time? I'm seriously interested.

23. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Sorry I don't seem to be able to make it more simple than that.

24. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I see your point; simplicity is indeed elusive when you grind your every axe - politicize your every post - irrespective of the speciic issue at hand.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.