Color bleed in messages? etc.

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by heycal, Jun 3, 2018.

1. heycal, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018

heycal macrumors 6502a

I've got a new phone, and updated to 11.4 today. Among the odd things I notice is some faint color bleeding under the recepient's name in text messaging. If it's someone with an android, there is a green tinge under their name if the message is scrolled up under their name, and blue for imessage users. I also see it in photos as I scroll -- if it's a very dark photo, the top of the screen is grayer where the words 'albums, all photos, select' are, but a lighter gray for a lighter photo. Basically whatever is on the screen affects the shade of the top 'toolbar'.

Was it always like this? Is this a bug in 11.4, or just the new way it will be?

I also notice that out of focus home screen in the background of my extras folder, which I also don't remember. (I turn off all that motion stuff/parallex stuff.)

2. mattguy10 macrumors 6502

mattguy10

This is all normal and has been this way long before 11.4

3. bmac89 macrumors 65816

bmac89

It is transparency effect and normal behaviour for some time now.
    If you have reduce transparency on in settings it will not happen.

4. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's been this way for awhile now? Really?

I don't see a a setting for "reduce transparency". I do see "reduce motion", which I had already activated as I always do.

5. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

There is a setting for that under contrast settings. And this kind of thing has been around since iOS 7 days or so.

6. mattguy10 macrumors 6502

mattguy10

Settings > General > Accessibility > Increase Contrast

7. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Green isn't exactly for Android users in particular, but simply for regular SMS/text messaging (essentially iMessage is blue, whole anything else is green).

8. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Found it! Problem solved!! I had forgotten that one setting under 'contrast'. Thank you!

Now where the heck is the "productivity" folder?:) If it's relevant to this question, I set up phone as new and have not restored from backup yet, and may not because of some bugs in previous phone.

9. mattguy10 macrumors 6502

mattguy10

You’re welcome!

10. mattguy10 macrumors 6502

mattguy10

If you set up as new, you’ll have to create that folder:

Enter wiggle mode by lightly holding any app

Drag one app over another and lift your finger

Name the folder productivity

Once you choose to set up as new, you can’t restore from a backup without going through the restore process again. You can sign into iCloud in settings so your phone will transfer things like your contacts from the cloud, but apps will have to be downloaded and installed from the App Store.

11. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tip about how to create the folder. Interesting that you have to create such a folder. Is that new? I don't remember creating such a folder in the first place, or choosing to call it "productivity".

After I set up as new, my contacts, photos, notes, and many other things seem to transfer magically without me having to do anything. I may indeed manually re-download my apps and change other setttings to avoid getting any of the same bugs I had with my iphone 6. (I had originally restored from backup when I bought the phone about 10 days ago, but I noticed it had many of the same bugs as my glitchy 6. So I started over yesterday as "new".)

12. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Aside from a single "Extras" folder that has some Apple apps in it there aren't any that get crated by default.

13. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? And it's always been that way? That would suggest I originally created the folder myself, chose the name "productivity" for it, and completely forgotten that I had, which I find doubtful.

14. mattguy10 macrumors 6502

mattguy10

If you put two apps together to create a folder and iOS categorizes both of those apps as productivity apps, the folder will be automatically named “productivity.” You can always change the name of the folder to what you want though.

15. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Yes, definitely since 2013, lol. Funny. Maybe you had an older device for a long time that didn't support this video effect? That's all I can think of. It gives a hint of what content is underneath when scrolling. This background blur effect is all over iOS though, but it's more subtle in the title bar area.

16. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

The helpful gents above helped me realize the error of my ways. "Problem" corrected now.

Okay, that makes sense. I was fairly certain I did not come up with the name "productivity" myself.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2018 ---
    So you guys think I can safely start re-downloading my apps from the app store without bringing back any of the bugs that plagued me both with my previous 6 and with my 8 when I initially bought it and restored from backup when I set it up? Or is there a more cautious way to proceed?