Color laser printer that can handle 60 pages of labels

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jaybar, Sep 2, 2013.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Hi

I am looking for a new color laser printer to replace my xerox 6280 that is discontinued. I am looking for a printer :

1-With current driver support for ML

2-More compact than my Xerox

3-Able to print 50 pages of labels from the high capacity tray.

I do not want to feed the labels one sheet at a time!

4-Manufacturer who is committed to timely driver development for new Mac OS. Xerox was very slow with ML drivers.

5-Ethernet

6-Wifi

Budget $300-$600 range

Thanks

Jay

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Not sure how big your Xerox is, but I recently got an Okidata C531DN that meets everything else on your list except WiFi.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Does your printer no longer work? If it still works, then there is no reason to replace it. You may use the $600 that you have budgeted for the printer for other more pressing needs.

When I replaced my Xerox Phaser 8550 network duplex printer, I replaced it with a ColorQube 8570 network duplex printer. If you truly need to replace your printer, then you will probably be happiest with the Phaser 6600. The duplex version is on sale for $549.

A printer is a capital investment. Make sure that you have all relevant information before making this capital investment:
    1. Your Xerox Phaser 6280 is a PostScript printer. It should work just fine with Mountain Lion.
    2. You will not get a printer with the capabilities of the Phaser 6280 in a smaller size. Will you be satisfied with less printer?
    3. See Response No. 2.
    4. By 50 labels, I presume that you mean 50 sheets of Avery Labels. This requires a multiple-sheet page feeder. This is a feature usually reserved for printers of the size of your 6280, my 8570, the 6600, and such like. You cannot expect this feature on smaller printers. See Response No. 2.
    5. Virtually all networked printers feature Ethernet.
    6. Wi-Fi is a convenience feature on a portable printer. However, even small cheap laser printers are too massive to move around. That said, some of Xerox's smaller cheaper laser printers have the feature. I recommend against it. Plug your printer into a LAN port on your wireless router. Instant wireless access to printer.

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

My Xerox 6180 has been used with no problems from Snow Leopard to Lion to Mt Lion. The only downside vis a vis your list is no wireless and compact. I use it out of the way in a cabinet that keeps all the printing supplies. I much prefer wired printers.

5. Giuly, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Given that you probably don't want to switch between labels and normal paper all the time, have a look at the Brother HL-4570CDWT with a second 500-sheet tray already included (it also comes without the tray if it's too large, and there's even one size smaller than that). All of them support duplex-printing, AirPrint and have WiFi, as well as drivers that work.

Also, Avery states that you can load their laser labels into trays, just make sure to fan them before loading and don't pass them through the printer twice.