Colorado “doctor”: Pregnancy Kills. Abortion Saves Lives.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 22, 2019.

1. Rogifan, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019

Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

There is evil in this world and this doctor is proof of it. So is the New York Times for publishing this opinion piece. Also quite amusing (not) how men are supposed to shut up on this subject...unless of course they’re men who perform abortions. Then they get to publish opinion pieces like this in the New York Times. Also now we know what Liberals mean when they say they support abortion when the “health” of the mother is at risk.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/21/opinion/alabama-law-abortion.html#click=https://t.co/KjovYdq69h

FYI this is the evil “doctor” who wrote the opinion piece. I don’t know how he sleeps at night.

[​IMG]

2. raqball macrumors 68000

900,000 abortions a year (give or take a few) so how many of them prevented these deaths:

hemorrhage
    infection
    pre-eclampsia
    obstructed labor
    amniotic fluid embolism
    thromboembolism
    a ruptured uterus
    retained placenta
    hydatidiform mole
    choriocarcinoma

I'd be interested in hearing the number.. If abortion prevented say 800,000 then ok.... If it prevented 11 or 12? Nah.......

Can't read the entire article as is paywall blocked for me and I ain't giving the NYT a cent!

3. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Here where the Hippocratic oath goes out the window.

4. benshive macrumors regular

I'd sleep better if I were him than if I were forcing a rape victim to give birth to her rapist's baby, that's for sure.

5. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I'm sure thats the case 100% of the time.

6. benshive macrumors regular

100% of what? All abortions? Where did I even imply that the number was that high?

7. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Of course focusing on a very small percentage of abortions. But hey if you want to talk about that, let’s ban abortions in every instance other than rape, incest and when delivery would most likely result in the mother dying. You cool with that?

8. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I think he was in 100% agreement with your initial comment :).

9. benshive macrumors regular

No, I'd probably favor restricting abortions later on in the pregnancy if the reasons aren't health related. But I think that any woman should have the choice to get an abortion in the first trimester, which is when it is most common for a woman to choose to do so anyway

10. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Someone gets it.

11. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

What if they included the Washington Post, LA Times, and Boston Globe in the subscription to the NYT ?

Would you subscribe then :) ?

12. raqball macrumors 68000

Nerp.... I can get the same hyperventilating coverage for free by reading mother jones or Vox... :eek: :p

13. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Why not later on?

14. benshive macrumors regular

Because of how much the fetus would have developed at that point. To me an insentient blob is much different than a fetus with developed organs, a working nervous system, etc. and I think that the two should be treated differently.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

The mods should really merge all these abortion threads. It's the same conversation over and over.

16. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Can't be sure. 700-1,300 women die each year from complications of pregnancy and childbirth. There are 64,000 ectopic pregnancies yearly (1 in 50) that threaten the life of the mother where the fetus has no chance of survival.
    https://www.factcheck.org/2012/10/the-life-of-the-mother/

How many women dying is enough for you to not want to force them to maintain unwanted pregnancies?

17. raqball macrumors 68000

Do try and follow the thread... The thread and my statements are about the doctors statements and not my beliefs...

18. samcraig macrumors P6

I thought every life mattered. Again - the "pro-life" argument starts to crumble when you only care about the unborn fetus.

19. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Every life does matter. Which is one reason I personally don’t support rape exceptions. But when only one life can survive then I think the priority should go to the mother. But only if the mother was certain to die if she gave birth. But again Liberals want to focus on the more rare cases because they can’t really in good conscience defend any other case.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

I sleep just fine with allowing women to have control over their own bodies. Now if you want to talk very late abortions (after 24/26 weeks) we might be on the same page. Perhaps not.

21. raqball macrumors 68000

I think most would agree with exceptions to abortions. Mother health at risk, rape, incest, ect.. The argument that we need to slaughter 900.000 to save 11 or 12 is ridiculous... Of those 11 or 12 how many were told they were at risk and decided togo forward with the pregnancy?

22. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

When you say health do you mean mental health? Because that’s a very slippery slope.

23. samcraig macrumors P6

Don't believe in abortions? Don't have one. It's that simple.

24. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Don’t want to baby? don’t have sex and don’t get pregnant. It’s that simple.

25. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

... we really need to merge these abortion threads.
    I'm more of a fan of beginning to question abortions at the 21st week mark. At the 22nd week mark a premature birth has a 6% chance of survival. That's pretty low, but it's got a shot.

Now I've personally known someone who faced the possibility of wanting abortion at the 23-24th week. But knowing why she had to go through that ordeal (health of the fetus), I didn't condemn her for considering it.