Colorado Mayor Who Put Ten Commandments Monument Outside City Hall Arrested for Shoplifting

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
got to love how someone fights for gods commandments and breaks them himself. spent 65,000 of taxpayer money to display them too.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2015/11/07/colorado-mayor-who-put-ten-commandments-monument-outside-city-hall-arrested-for-shoplifting/

Reford Theobold, 61, was ticketed at about noon on Friday on suspicion of theft by shoplifting after an employee of Cabela’s, 2424 U.S. Highway 6&50, observed Theobold take several “Big Hunk” candy bars, hide them in a file folder and walk past registers without paying, an officer wrote in the summons.

Theobold also had two maps which weren’t paid for, the summons said.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
got to love how someone fights for gods commandments and breaks them himself. spent 65,000 of taxpayer money to display them too.
If it was restricted to the candy bars, I would assume that he is in the habit of hiding his sugar addiction from his wife. But, the maps?!?! That one will be difficult.

In any case, although he will now become a laughing stock, it is an established scientific fact that we are all hypocrites at some level.

Reactions: steve knight

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Perhaps the monument was just a daily reminder to himself?

Same way a fat person sticks a Post-It note on the fridge door: "NO SNACKING, FATTY!!!" :)

It's not for everyone else. It's for them.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
When you try to force the 10 commandments on people you better be following them.
That isn't sound Christian theology - we (Christians) don't believe that we are able to keep the 10 commands thus the need for Jesus Christ and his redemptive work.

Although this incident is unfortunate and to those who do not believe could be "turned off" by such actions as they appear to be hypercritical. These actions follow the normal course of human exist and human tendency. Thus, the need once again for the grace of God.

I hope you understand because someone may support / fight for something that doesn't make them except from committing that which they so strongly stand for. Absolute truth is still truth - in spite our actions.

Reactions: sodapop1

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
That isn't sound Christian theology - we (Christians) don't believe that we are able to keep the 10 commands thus the need for Jesus Christ and his redemptive work.

Although this incident is unfortunate and to those who do not believe could be "turned off" by such actions as they appear to be hypercritical. These actions follow the normal course of human exist and human tendency. Thus, the need once again for the grace of God.

I hope you understand because someone may support / fight for something that doesn't make them except from committing that which they so strongly stand for. Absolute truth is still truth - in spite our actions.
so in short if a preacher is up there telling everyone they are going to hell if they don't stop sinning and repent. but then they go and do that sin themselves they ask to be forgiven. is that about it?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
so in short if a preacher is up there telling everyone they are going to hell if they don't stop sinning and repent. but then they go and do that sin themselves they ask to be forgiven. is that about it?
Well there are a lot of flavors of Christian theology - so that not necessary an easy answer because of the disparity of thought amongst Christians. If I answer your questions from my perspective I would say to your question... "you missed it". But some may affirm some of your statements - I would not.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Absolute truth is not within our grasp, hence the idea of God fills in the blanks for some perplexed minds. Others are content to wait for the big surprise without fantasizing about it. :)