Colorblind simulator -- see images through the eyes of a person with colorblindness

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by wal5hy, Jun 5, 2009.

1. wal5hy macrumors newbie

Hope this will be of interest to some people, there is a new app called Huetility Colorblind Simulator which allows you to take photos and see the images simulated to look as people with colorblindness see them.

This may be useful to:

* Developers/designers who want to ensure their website/content is accessible.
    * Parents of children who have color-blindness.
    * The curious minded who want to learn a little more about an issue with effects 1 in 12 men and 1 in 200 women (about 300 Million people worldwide).

Really interested in hearing feedback from people.

2. senorian macrumors regular

just an idea, maybe you can somehow incorporate one of those color blind tests in your app. If you are selling this to parents this would be a good way to not only have them see what their child isn't seeing but also to help determine if their child is colorblind. I myself am colorblind.

3. iFerd macrumors 6502a

iTunes tells me this is not currently available in the US App Store.

4. wal5hy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks senorian we have built a color blindness test and will release that soon, its a great idea to package them together for parents.

5. wal5hy thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh, should be available now, sorry about that, pm me and i'll send you a promo code

6. MACoconut macrumors regular

hello

can I have the promo code as well?

cant pm you :p

thanks!

7. Shoot macrumors regular

why not do it in real time so a parent can hold up the iphone and see directly through the camera what the child with colourblindness sees? it wouldnt take much processing at all to convert hues on the fly.
    looks good though, seems well made. I would purchase if that was possible.

8. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that offer, which I would like to take up. However, it looks like you haven't posted often enough to be allowed PMs. I sent you e-mail to your info address.

Edit: Odd. I got an access denied message back from a domain named scratchface.com. I picked up the email from the contact us link on your web page.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Because Apple doesn't give third party developers that sort of control over the camera. :(

10. wal5hy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, yeah the algorithm is nearly fast enough to be able to process a camera feed in real time, but its unclear whether apple will allow this. Some apps (like Camera Zoom) do alter the input camera feed, other developers say that there apps have been rejected for this same feat.

So yeah if anyone can shed some light would be great to know.

11. wal5hy thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like our email is a bit screwed, thanks for pointing that out will fix that soon. In the mean time you could email me at wal5hy at (googles old rival !) dot com . It an old address which i never use but i'll check it out tommorow and send you a code, cheers for bearing with me ;-)

12. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Well if Google's old rival has a name staring with Y, you have mail from me. If it doesn't, I'll have to guess again. :)

Edit: Ah, you now can get PMs, so I sent you one of those too.