colors look dull and washed out in Firefox, but look correct in Safari

dfinn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
So far I've only noticed this with my own digital photos but I haven't tried comparing images from other sites to see if it is effecting those as well. I noticed this last night after I edited a bunch of photos in Photoshop I then opened up a firefox window to view the files to make sure they look right. I noticed they looked kinda dull and the colors were washed out, I then opened up Safari to see if they looked the same in there and they did not. In Safari they look exactly how they look in photoshop. Has anyone else run into this problem with firefox?

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2004
Here
i haven't noticed this on my g5 . What kind of monitor do you have? what resolution? :confused:

dfinn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
ijimk said:
i haven't noticed this on my g5 . What kind of monitor do you have? what resolution? :confused:
this is on a 12" ibook.

The colors also look correct on my laptop running debian with firefox.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
What format are you saving them in?

If you are using PNG images, Safari correctly fixes the colors to output the exact match, while Firefox and other browsers don't correctly fix the output before it is sent to the graphics card and thus, looks washed out.

dfinn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
mnkeybsness said:
What format are you saving them in?

If you are using PNG images, Safari correctly fixes the colors to output the exact match, while Firefox and other browsers don't correctly fix the output before it is sent to the graphics card and thus, looks washed out.
using "Save As" in Photoshop and saving as a level 8 JPG.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
dfinn said:
using "Save As" in Photoshop and saving as a level 8 JPG.
Using 'Save As' that way embeds your color profile, which FireFox does not use.

If you use 'Save for web' it will not embed a color profile, and the image will display the same on all platforms/browsers - and this will also result in a smaller file size, too :)