ColorWare Launches iPhone 7 Plus Retro Edition With Vintage Mac Design for $1,899

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 16, 2017.

1. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

But paint is cheaper. A can goes a long way. So on a small scale, this is more profitable.

If they sell one painted phone, they'll make more than they would if they sold a thousand cases. Materials, factory production costs, trial runs of products, design costs, etc. they'd have to sell a lot of cases to equal the profit from one custom paint job.

If they sell 3 or 4 of these, they'll be happy.

2. Carmenia83 macrumors 6502

For a second, I read "SIM-free" as in, it doesn't use a SIM card, and was really confused as to how that happened and I hadn't heard about it. Anyway, cool idea and design but that price is absurd. I've had guitars professionally repainted with intricate designs in a shop that customizes $100k cars and they didn't charge me $900. Also, for that kind of premium, if the numbered ones say "_ of 25" there shouldn't more than 25 in existence. Not that I think they'll sell 25 of them...

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Someday I will own something from Colorware. I've always admired their stuff.

4. MTBCAM88 Suspended

MTBCAM88

I think it looks sick! But not worth the price tag. If they make a case that mimics this then I will buy it immediately.

5. AZ63 macrumors 6502

AZ63

A phone is a tool, but so is a car and people spend thousands on custom paints jobs. It is not for me either, but if people have the cash and want to spend it in this way, why not. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

6. joueboy macrumors 68000

I admit it, it's cool but for extra grand then cover it with case. Ahem!!! Calling all chinese case manufacturers this sounds like a good idea for a case ahem!!!:D

7. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

My first reaction too, but then I thought about some of the 'Art' that's hanging in musea and galleries, sometimes comprising a single brush stroke or worse, on an otherwise blank canvass, and reportedly worth millions.

The value of something is really just the price someone is willing to pay for it.

8. BlueCreek macrumors regular

Still a sucker for spending $1k on a paint job for a phone, can get my car resprayed for less

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Perhaps you can. If somebody has the money to spend, it doesn't change the fact of what they choose to do with it. It's your opinion that you view someone as a "Sucker", not everyone is going to share your views how they choose to spend their money, because they make the decision what's best for them, not you.

10. oozeymc macrumors newbie

11. Xcarlittosx macrumors newbie

Xcarlittosx

Someone link me to a wishme link for this case pls

12. Aston441 macrumors 65816

You laugh now. You'll be crying when they announce the price of iPhone 8.

13. S14Drvr macrumors member

S14Drvr

I believe the quote is "there's an Ass for every seat" lol
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2017 ---
    No one really cares what the price is. Everyone cries and complains the first 48hrs then they go buy one. Prices are baked into your plan. Nothing has changed except you get the option to put down more on the phone before you walk out the door. Sell your phone on Ebay, pay the tax on the new phone, sign your new two year agreement and walk out the door. Rinse and Repeat every other year

14. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

Sweet. Brings me back to the second grade when my family purchased a brand new Apple IIe (circa 1985). Fun memories of playing Wheel of Fortune, Jungle Book, Carmen San Diego, and Stephen King's Mist on that green monochrome display with pixels large enough to eat tacos off of! At 39 years of age, you could say my affinity for Apple products started very early--good times.

15. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Phone looks nice. Really nice. $1900 on my credit card nice? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. But that's my credit card. I can't hate on anyone who'd buy it though. The heart wants what the heart wants. Heck I spent $3600 on a computer... just to play games. The wife didn't laugh... at all. So who am I to judge? To each his own.

16. abluewhale macrumors newbie

abluewhale

I think almost everything colorware does is pretty, but those prices...

17. canadianreader macrumors 6502a

canadianreader

I hope someone will make a case just like that

18. atlas_0 Suspended

atlas_0

He's not saying there's something wrong about it. He's saying it's stupid. And it's 100% his right to deem it so, just as it's yours to feebly defend spending an extra thousand to accomplish what a $7 skin can do.

19. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I like the look. I don't like the price or the fact that they killed the Apple warranty in the process. I don't see that as being an incentive for purchase.

20. Relentless Power, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I'm not going to argue what a forum members interpretation is based on a comment undefined.

However, you're incorrect regarding A skin and Colorware similarities. They are completely two different things. Research Colorware and their back history. A "$7.00" skin isn't even in the same realm as what Colorwares process of painting the hardware completely customized. They also can transform the Airpods, MacBooks other products into any color you desire. Skins are more temporary, when a price of hardware is painted similar to factory. That's a poor point defend on your behalf, because you lack the knowledge of the differences between a skin and Colorwares process.

http://www.colorware.com/

http://www.colorware.com/company.aspx#press

21. atlas_0 Suspended

atlas_0

Spotted the shill. Nice AirPods advert in there too - glad you could shoehorn it into the conversation.

Whether it's the same or not is irrelevant. Spending more than the cost of the device on a paint job is asinine. The vast majority of people will opt for a case or skin, which is reasonably priced. The few who spend more than their phone cost for the paint on it have more money than sense, and while it's their choice to literally throw money away like that, it doesn't make it more logical, or justify the price.

22. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

We need to update this idiom of "if I were a millionaire" to "if I were a billionaire." A million dollars just isn't that life changing anymore if it is a one time windfall. That doesn't buy you a home in the more expensive areas of the world or if you invest and try to live off the income, let's say over the long haul you manage to pull in 3% annual returns that gives you an income of $30k/year. In any case, as a millionaire you won't be purchasing a private jet ($25MM+), superyacht ($1MM per meter of length until you get into megayacht territory), or hiring personal assistants/chefs/butlers (you can figure out the salary) etc...

I know, totally off topic but that jumped into my head and I felt the need to express it.

23. mkeeley macrumors 6502

While it's entirely up to people how they spend money it can still mean that they have more money than sense.

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The Airpods was an article posted a month ago on Macrumors regarding the Colorware process, which the same argument was made should one purchase something worth more than product. But that doesn't stop the customer from making a purchasing decision based of their own free will, because they seek enjoyment out of it .

Aside from that, I can overlook your deflection past your $7.00 skin argument, which is relevant, because that's the frivolous point you made against a company that specializes in their craft. You can refute that all you want, but it doesn't change what you posted.

If one wants to spend the money, its asinine by your definition, but that doesn't change someone's decision to make. You appear very bitter over what someone chooses to do with their money. It may be a superflourous item in some respects, but you're not in a position to alter someone's money spent. You have an opinion like everyone else, but your opinion doesn't over-ride money spent based on a personal decision. Period. You have no argument.

25. mkeeley macrumors 6502

Nope they're still a "sucker", all because it's up to them how they spend their money doesn't change that.