ColorWare Launches iPhone 7 Plus Retro Edition With Vintage Mac Design for $1,899

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Andrewtst macrumors 6502

Andrewtst

Look very beauty actually but the price...

Some case maker shall though about this and release it as case.

2. GrumpyMom macrumors G3

GrumpyMom

The Apple IIe listed in my signature is still up and running in our house. That computer got my husband his start on an amazing career and it's the reason we could get this phone if we wanted to.

Technology is so beautiful now, but for those of us of a certain age, there's something about light beige plastic that stirs the soul. It wasn't just computers, my first handheld Nintendo was that nondescript color, too.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I understand your point. To me, your defintion of "Wasting" monetary means isn't equivalent to everybody's logic. That's how you view it, but it I believe it's the satisfactory somebody achieves out of the item they purchased. You don't have to agree with the concept for it to make sense. But clearly some will purchase this product for whatever reason they believe in. There is no right or wrong answer, because everyone will differ based on what they want out of how they choose to spend their money. As I said before, it's a lot of money, but your thoughts are not everyone else's, vice versa.

4. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

Nope. A quality paint job is 4-5 grand, and that's not some fancy custom job.

Joe in his backyard, then sure.

5. Mac 128, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Wait a minute, they don't include the Lightning to 3.5mm adapter? Or is that an editorial omission? I wonder if the EarPods are color matched as well? And by color matching, I mean that all cables and plugs should be the original darker brown contrasting color known as "Khaki", while the accessory matches the case.

I might consider this if it weren't so expensive. At $1,899 for a $969 phone, they might have just priced it for the original Mac 128 price of $2,495, and thrown in a pair of matching PMS 453-colored AirPods.

Frankly, I would have thought that they would have used the gold phone in the event the paint ever chipped. At least it would blend a bit better than the black one.

Hang on, I just looked at that picture again ... the buttons are black -- they should be khaki-colored. That's the kind of attention to detail that justifies a $1900 price tag.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

7. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

Apparently, they can't even pay homage to anything Mac lately. How about a Mac Pro in an IIE console?

8. The Skipper macrumors newbie

Your right. Its a 1980 phone. Make the price $1980.

9. FreeAngel macrumors newbie

FreeAngel

WOW! Love the Look!! Hate the price. Same with the Apple IIe. Always used one at school in 1980. Never could afford one until 6 years ago on Ebay.

[​IMG]

10. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Sure, can't you justify a high cost on anything by saying it is a limited edition or intended for collectors? ;)

I've seem horribly inflated prices on the vintage Macs themselves (not just something painted to look like one). My general rule is to avoid listings that say "RARE COLLECTORS" or "Steve Jobs" in the title.

11. saudade macrumors 6502

saudade

I paid less 4 a b job dud can u believe it?

12. antonis macrumors 68020

antonis

Indeed. Having said that, however, did you know that the rest of the world calls mac users as "suckers" as well ? For the same reason, too. It's all relative, I guess.

13. purplehaze0 macrumors regular

purplehaze0

$1899 ha ha ha!
    --- Post Merged, Mar 17, 2017 ---
    Your wrong, it's stupid.

14. heartlegs macrumors member

I could think of a lot of things I'd rather do with 2k than get this phone. Then again, I make 2k in approximately 2.5 days so all these comments about it being too expensive are for people who think 2k is a lot of money.

15. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

If there will *ever* be another iMac, I'd love to get this theme on it. I am willing to pay them good money for it too.

16. ILikeAllOS macrumors 6502

ILikeAllOS

The iPhone doesn't use paint, it's anodized and so the ColorWare version could never be as durable.

17. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

18. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

LOL @ $1900 for a disposable technology that will be superseeded in about 6 months. Moving on with my day.

19. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

That right there is an absolutely beautiful phone. I would totally buy it if the paint premium wasn't so outrageous.

20. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

You forgot the link to how housewife makes $20.000 a month.

21. ibridget macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Mar 17, 2017 ---
    Get an off white case, add some stickers, and there you go.

22. atmenterprises macrumors 6502

Some people have more money than sense.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2017 ---
    A decision for one's self can still be a sucker's bet and can still be called out as such.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2017 ---
    OP has a right to his opinion. Chill dude.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You're absolutely correct. Thanks for your reply.

24. atmenterprises macrumors 6502

You're welcome!

25. RetroCase macrumors newbie

RetroCase

Wishes granted. ;)