Colour laser printer recommendations that are Snow Leopard compatible

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GlynJones, Oct 2, 2009.

1. GlynJones macrumors 6502

Hi All,
    I currently have an old Epson c86 which I believe is not compatible with Snow Leopard and seeing how I’ll probably have to replace this when I upgrade, I though I’d replace it with a colour laser printer.

Can any one give me any good recommendations for a cheap (sub £200) colour laser printer that is Snow Leopard compatible?

I like the look of the Konica Minolta Magicolor 1650EN but I cannot find anywhere if it is compatible with Snow Leopard.

Thanks in advance.

Glyn.

2. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

3. obibobi macrumors member

Don't buy Canon if you want compatibility.
    I have 2 different printers and 1 scanner.
    The old printer works in Snow Leopard, but the newer one, which I bought through Apple Store less than one year ago, doesn't connect.
    The scanner works with my wife's old MacBook that we haven't upgraded yet from Leopard.

I don't know and I don't care if it's Apples or Canons fault that there are so many problems, but I will never buy another Canon product again.
    I rather change printer brand than OS.

4. ramases macrumors member

The Samsung CLP-300N is supposed to be compatible, I'm afraid I've not tried this model so I can't give a report on it's actual performance.

Mac OS 10.3 ~ 10.6 Print Driver (ver.3.00)

That retails around the £130 mark.

5. gessoandgold macrumors newbie

printer? printer?

I have two canons and a 24"imac,my head still spins from trying to get them in order. Can I check the ink levels? Can I heck as like. I now need a colour laser printer too, so if you get one and it actually does good, hey, let me know please? I'm actually thinking of getting a small pc to swop the files to and run the printers from, but I might be inviting more trouble and my adobe files might not swop happily. And I just love my imac so much ...

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

it seems like anything from HP is usually compatible with macs in my experience

7. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

The Xerox Phaser line has been consistently compatible in my experience. They are expensive.

8. uniforms macrumors regular

Hands down I vote for xerox phaser. Best color, speed, quality and lower cost in the long run. I have had a phaser for six years and still as good as new. I tried the brother receintly, although it was inexpensive, the quality was no where near the phaser. The toner also did not last long on the brother. Never had compatible issues with xerox.

9. Esopus macrumors newbie

I bought a HP CP1215 Color Laserjet about 2 years ago; it was priced to clear and had a big rebate on top of that. I didn't even bother reading the specs on the box, and assumed it would work with Mac OS X. I was wrong. Not all HP printers are Mac compatible. :)

10. gessoandgold macrumors newbie

research results

I've been poking about all over for a little while and I'm hearing that HP are consumable expensive and their support set up is bad.

I know that I've spent days trying to sort out the Canon compatible probs, though I do like my Canons

Brother and Oki are currently coming through as the ones the most people have the least bad things to say about. I'm looking into them. Who can afford to take chances? It's a sod when you're in a tearing hurry though, as I am.

Unfortunately I have to slow down and take the consequences. I've been caught in the 'hurry' trap before and it cost more that it would have if I'd taken time. It's so great to be old and wise.

11. FDX macrumors regular

I have a xerox phaser no issues when I went to SL with it.

12. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I really like my HP Color LaserJet CP1515n. It's fully compatible with Snow Leopard and works like a charm. It's also fairly small, given the fact that it's a color laser printer. Text is brilliant, and also the color accuracy is pretty good.

13. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats good to know as it's in my price range.

Thanks.

14. ojobson macrumors newbie

ojobson

I can't get this to work with my new MBP / snow leopard at all. It installed on my Win7 machine fine. In System preferences > printers, I can see the bonjour domain, but then when I select it I get "Connection Failed".

:confused:

15. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

look at the price of toner before buying

color laser toner is very, very expensive -- it will probably cost more to buy a new set of toner than the actual printer costs.