Colts LB & Uber Driver Killed By Drunk Driving Illegal Alien

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Feb 5, 2018.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is why we need better security at our border.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-jackson-indianapolis-colts-country-illegally

2. samcraig macrumors P6

There's more to this than needing better security at the border. This is tragic for Jackson's family and friends. But let's not solely make this about the fact the drunk driver was illegal. Could this have been prevented if he wasn't here in the first place. Yes. Maybe. Statistically, though you would have to show me that of all the drunk driving deaths in this country were perpetrated by illegals before you tied one issue to the other.

3. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm not trying to tie illegal aliens to all drunk driving deaths. All I'm saying is that if we had better control of our borders, then this guy wouldn't have been in this country to drive drunk and kill 2 people.

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

By focusing on all immigrants without authorization, ICE has used its investigative powers to deport people who constantly reported to the agency, and therefore ignored, or were unable to apprehend, men like Orrego-Savala.

It's also clear that deportation of "criminal aliens" doesn't work, and that by doubling-down on the enforcement paradigm and border security theater like the wall, we've failed to deal adequately with a real problem.

5. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Please STOP politicizing events that are ignored hundreds of times over every day by white people just to make a point when an illegal alien is involved. Fun fact: there were 10,497 deaths related to drunk driving last year alone, but let's just ignore that.

6. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That's entirely post-hoc reasoning. Think of it this way, what if rather than deporting him, the U.S. focused on alcohol treatment to ensure that citizens and non-citizens will not drink and drive.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Maybe. You'll never remove 100% of illegals from this country. You might be able to reduce it. And yes, I am making a semantic argument here. Again - what happened was tragic. I don't want to underscore that. But I just think it's not an argument about stronger borders. Why not a crack down on fake IDs and other documents? For example...

8. TiggrToo macrumors 6502a

TiggrToo

Way to go on ignoring the fact that thousands of people are killed and injured by drivers who are not only DUI but also 100% American Citizens.

In the last few years my wife has had three accidents which were the fault of the other driver, and I recently had my first. In ALL cases the driver was an American Citizen driving without insurance and - in one occasion, without even a driving license.

This sort of thing happens ALL the time yet you (and Fox et al) focus on the fact the driver was an illegal immigrant first and foremost and not that the driver was an idiot who drove drunk.

9. zin macrumors 6502

He had been deported twice already. There's clearly an issue if he managed to get in three times. If you can fix it, then why not?

10. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Okay great, let's fix it. That still leaves 10,496 deaths per year by citizens who aren't here illegally, please let us know when Fox News decides to address those.

11. zin macrumors 6502

That's whacked logic.

It's like saying we should stop looking for a cure for cancer because more people die from heart disease.

12. TiggrToo macrumors 6502a

TiggrToo

Fix what? Deporting him, blocking him, building a wall a million feet high, ain't 'Fixing' the problem.

The problem is that alcohol is still seen by many as an acceptable drink to consume and then drive soon after. Building a wall doesn't 'fix' drink driving! The only thing that 'fixes' drink driving is addressing the causes and reasons for 'drink driving'.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

No - but perhaps some level of triage? I mean -it's also whacked logic to argue that we shouldn't politicize the 11+ gun shootings in our schools. But if an illegal alien shot someone up at a school - the argument would be about border control, not guns.

14. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Or that we should address the cancer in all 10,497 victims, not just politicize one because we hate who they are.

15. zin macrumors 6502

Physical barriers do work. There is no question about it. Whether or not it would fix the problem for the United States is another question. They are being constructed in some places in Europe due to the migrant crisis (unprecedented considering the Schengen 'open border' zone that had been in place for ages). There isn't the same controversy as when Trump proposed it, though. Nobody here really cares.

If he was not able to get in, he wouldn't have been there to drive the car that killed this person. That seems like a fix to me.

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

There are plenty of US citizens that drive drunk. This is a tragedy. Yet not an immigration issue.

17. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

There is no justification to single out “white people”.

18. TiggrToo macrumors 6502a

TiggrToo

The issue here is that this idiot killed someone whilst driving drunk.

Building a wall won't fix that problem.

19. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

So we need to make drinking alcohol beverages illegal along with vehicles that go over 15 mph.

20. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

yeah, but the "what if" argument doesn't always work. What if the guy killed wasn't out there driving, too? What if the illegal Alien still got in this country but we had more DWi check points?

21. SusanK macrumors 68000

Thoughts and prayers are sufficient in those cases.

22. samcraig macrumors P6

If he was not served or allowed to buy alcohol, he might not have killed TWO people. If he wasn't able to get fake identification he might not have killed two people. If a friend of his took his keys before he got into his car, he might not have killed two people.

There's a lot of things that could have prevented these tragic deaths.

23. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Isn’t just easy to blame the white man/women for all bad race issues?

24. zin macrumors 6502

It's already illegal for an illegal to possess a firearm. How might one fix that by more gun control as opposed to border control?

25. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

All well and good but action and legislation are needed.