Columbia Student Will Carry Her Mattress Around as Long as Her Rapist Remains on Camp

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
this is just pathetic on Columbia University's part. lets hope she gets some justice before her back goes out.
http://www.alternet.org/activism/columbia-student-will-carry-her-mattress-around-long-her-rapist-remains-campus

visual arts senior Emma Sulkowicz is starting her school year off by carrying more than just a backpack and books around campus. As part of her performance-art thesis piece, Sulkowicz will be carrying her mattress around Columbia in order to protest her rapist’s presence on campus.

Sulkowicz says she was raped the first day of her sophomore year. She didn’t report the rape immediately, but after talking to two women who were also assaulted by the same man, they all decided to file reports. She underwent inadequate and re-victimizing hearing process. She wrote in Time:

During my hearing, which didn’t take place until seven months after the incident, one panelist kept asking me how it was physically possible for anal rape to happen. I was put in the horrible position of trying to educate her and explain how this terrible thing happened to me.

Columbia dismissed all three of the women’s cases.

Last week, The Nation published an email that an administrator accidentally sent to a student, which revealed the university’s disdain for the anti-rape movement on campus. The administrator basically scoffed at the student’s request for more involvement in campus sexual assault policies

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
This is her performance art thesis. I wonder how much her parents are paying for her tuition?

The man in question is innocent until proven guilty. How quickly people forget that.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
He's innocent until proven guilty, but that doesn't mean she's not allowed to walk around and protest what she sees as an injustice.

Hard to prove guilt or innocence when the whole thing was dismissed with no legal action at all.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
Hard to prove guilt or innocence when the whole thing was dismissed with no legal action at all.
"Columbia dismissed all three of the women’s cases."

She got a hearing. She just didn't get the result she wanted. Then, months later she went to the cops. Again, she didn't get the result she wanted. By then it was almost finals and she needed to get cracking on her thesis project. What better than bearing her mattress, Christ-like, all over campus? She'll probably make the dean's list.

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I read this earlier this morning in the Sydney Morning Herald. I agree; crappy job on Columbia's part. The thesis will provide some healing, but this warrants justice.

BL.
Despicable job by Columbia.

USAToday said:
Sulkowitz reported her alleged sexual assault, which occurred on the first day of her sophomore year in August 2012, after she found out that two other students had made complaints against the same student. Each time, he was found "not responsible" by Columbia University administration.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/09/03/emma-sulkowitz-columbia-rape-performance-art/15012777/

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009

She got a hearing. She just didn't get the result she wanted. Then, months later she went to the cops. Again, he didn't get the result she wanted. By then it was almost finals and she needed to get cracking on her thesis project. What better than bearing her mattress, Christ-like, all over campus? She'll probably make the dean's list.
right they did it because of lack of evidence. I guess this quote had nothing to do with it.
During my hearing, which didn’t take place until seven months after the incident, one panelist kept asking me how it was physically possible for anal rape to happen. I was put in the horrible position of trying to educate her and explain how this terrible thing happened to me.

Columbia dismissed all three of the women’s cases.

Last week, The Nation published an email that an administrator accidentally sent to a student, which revealed the university’s disdain for the anti-rape movement on campus. The administrator basically scoffed at the student’s request for more involvement in campus sexual assault policies

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget

She got a hearing. She just didn't get the result she wanted. Then, months later she went to the cops. Again, he didn't get the result she wanted. By then it was almost finals and she needed to get cracking on her thesis project. What better than bearing her mattress, Christ-like, all over campus? She'll probably make the dean's list.
rape is not an easy subject, with 3 different women all making the SAME claim on the SAME guy, why is he still around?

Renzatic

Suspended
To repeat myself:

Renzatic said:
...but that doesn't mean she's not allowed to walk around and protest what she sees as an injustice.
Derp. I get what you're saying now. Posting in here too often tends to make me kinda combative at times.

Last edited:

skottichan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Waiting for the "not all men" or "she didn't protect herself well enough" excuses.

I agree that we need to remember "innocent until proven guilty", but we also live in a country where rape culture, especially at universities, remove the possibility of "proving guilt" by either flatly ignoring the problem, or covering it up.

Kudos to Ms Sulkowicz.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
rape is not an easy subject, with 3 different women all making the SAME claim on the SAME guy, why is he still around?
Because in the eyes of the law we are all innocent until proven guilty. Ask any lawyer about rape cases like this, cases with no independent witnesses, no physical evidence, just he said/she said. In cases like this it is extremely difficult to determine what actually occurred.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Waiting for the "not all men" or "she didn't protect herself well enough" excuses.

I agree that we need to remember "innocent until proven guilty", but we also live in a country where rape culture, especially at universities, remove the possibility of "proving guilt" by either flatly ignoring the problem, or covering it up.

Kudos to Ms Sulkowicz.
not all men are the same, there, you wont have to wait any longer for that one :rolleyes:

----------

Because in the eyes of the law we are all innocent until proven guilty. Ask any lawyer about rape cases like this, cases with no independent witnesses, no physical evidence, just he said/she said. In cases like this it is extremely difficult to determine what actually occurred.
where there is smoke there was fire, 3 different girls. where is a vigilante when you need one?

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
but it does happen but 7 months after the fact it is pretty hard. so why did they wait?

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
When did the girls report the rape(s)? The article avoids answering that question. The hearing occurred seven months after their rape--and it could have occured the day after their report.
This is the untold story, I have to admit. However, if they reported it immediately after, then the university has some explaining to do as to why it took seven months to have a hearing about it. Everyone know that the most critical time after a rape occurs is up to 72 hours after. That is why they need to be investigated immediately.

BL.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
where there is smoke there was fire, 3 different girls. where is a vigilante when you need one?
Here's something to think about:

Three women bring up to the university that this man allegedly raped them. The university found him not responsible all three times.

The women subsequently went to the police. After an investigation, the police decided not to charge him.

That's six different instances where he was accused, but not charged/indicted/punished.

Now, you say "where there is smoke there was fire." Six allegations, six acquittals (of sorts). Based solely on that, one might conclude the "fire" in your analogy might really mean "innocence."

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget

Three women bring up to the university that this man allegedly raped them. The university found him not responsible all three times.

The women subsequently went to the police. After an investigation, the police decided not to charge him.

That's six different instances where he was accused, but not charged/indicted/punished.

Now, you say "where there is smoke there was fire." Six allegations, six acquittals (of sorts). Based solely on that, one might conclude the "fire" in your analogy might really mean "innocence."
police most likely said what BradL suggested, well after 72 hours it will be hard to prove rape as everything gets washed out.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009

Or they just dismissed it because it will make them look bad. that has been happening so much that the president is getting involved. universities are notorious for not doing much of anything to help rape victims . so is this one of those cases? that's the question.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

That kind of cry for attention isn't usually a sign that someone is in a healthy mental state. There should have been an immediate investigation due to the time critical nature of that kind of crime, and she obviously needs counseling now, from a counselor who does not represent the interests of the university.

This is the untold story, I have to admit. However, if they reported it immediately after, then the university has some explaining to do as to why it took seven months to have a hearing about it. Everyone know that the most critical time after a rape occurs is up to 72 hours after. That is why they need to be investigated immediately.

BL.
It mentions that in the article

Sulkowicz says she was raped the first day of her sophomore year. She didn’t report the rape immediately, but after talking to two women who were also assaulted by the same man, they all decided to file reports. She underwent inadequate and re-victimizing hearing process.
In April, Sulkowicz filed, along with 22 other students, a Title IX complaint against the university for their mishandling of sexual assault cases. In May, she decided to report the rape to law enforcement officers, who were equally, if not more insensitive to her case.

"You invited him into your room. That's not the legal definition of rape," one officer told her.
Take the second quote with some skepticism. The author quoted Jezebel, which quoted a single line from the police without substantiation.

I'm not sure what she expected that long after the fact. We should teach girls to protect themselves, and the university should encourage them to immediately to go the police. The biggest failure here is that the school doesn't seem to encourage that.

Renzatic

Suspended
If they did a full investigation, or at least took it seriously, I'd be inclined to agree. But from the article, it seems like the university just wants to sweep any rape allegations under the rug, and the police dismissed her with lines such as "you invited him into your room, that's not rape".

Granted, she waited far too long to report the rape, and after so much time, it'll boil down to a he said, she said affair. He would've had a better than decent chance of walking, even if he were guilty as sin, and the police/university threw their full weight behind the case.

...but it's like they didn't even try.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
If they did a full investigation, or at least took it seriously, I'd be inclined to agree. But from the article, it seems like the university just wants to sweep any rape allegations under the rug, and the police dismissed her with lines such as "you invited him into your room, that's not rape".

Granted, she waited far too long to report the rape, and after so much time, it'll boil down to a he said, she said affair. He would've had a better than decent chance of walking, even if he were guilty as sin, and the police/university threw their full weight behind the case.

...but it's like they didn't even try.
there are many "males" who sadly subscribe to the "some girls rape easy" mentality. :mad:

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
If she was raped, she deserves justice for it.

But her tone in these articles sounds like she's upset they didn't automatically believe her. She admits to having had consensual sex twice with this guy prior to the incident, and she also admits that in this particular incident, it began consensually. Her claim is that he began strangling her after she consented to sex and then forced himself on her. She waited a year and a half, and the police were dismissive, as was Columbia.

steve knight said:
this is just pathetic on Columbia University's part. lets hope she gets some justice before her back goes out.
Do you have access to some information proving his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt?