Columbia Student Will Carry Her Mattress Around as Long as Her Rapist Remains on Camp

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Sep 3, 2014.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

this is just pathetic on Columbia University's part. lets hope she gets some justice before her back goes out.
    http://www.alternet.org/activism/co...attress-around-long-her-rapist-remains-campus

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

This is her performance art thesis. I wonder how much her parents are paying for her tuition?

The man in question is innocent until proven guilty. How quickly people forget that.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    He's innocent until proven guilty, but that doesn't mean she's not allowed to walk around and protest what she sees as an injustice.

5. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

Hard to prove guilt or innocence when the whole thing was dismissed with no legal action at all.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Objection: relevance.

7. aaronvan, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

"Columbia dismissed all three of the women’s cases."

She got a hearing. She just didn't get the result she wanted. Then, months later she went to the cops. Again, she didn't get the result she wanted. By then it was almost finals and she needed to get cracking on her thesis project. What better than bearing her mattress, Christ-like, all over campus? She'll probably make the dean's list.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Despicable job by Columbia.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...owitz-columbia-rape-performance-art/15012777/

9. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

right they did it because of lack of evidence. I guess this quote had nothing to do with it.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

rape is not an easy subject, with 3 different women all making the SAME claim on the SAME guy, why is he still around?

11. Renzatic, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

To repeat myself:

Derp. I get what you're saying now. Posting in here too often tends to make me kinda combative at times.

12. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Waiting for the "not all men" or "she didn't protect herself well enough" excuses.

I agree that we need to remember "innocent until proven guilty", but we also live in a country where rape culture, especially at universities, remove the possibility of "proving guilt" by either flatly ignoring the problem, or covering it up.

Kudos to Ms Sulkowicz.

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Because in the eyes of the law we are all innocent until proven guilty. Ask any lawyer about rape cases like this, cases with no independent witnesses, no physical evidence, just he said/she said. In cases like this it is extremely difficult to determine what actually occurred.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

not all men are the same, there, you wont have to wait any longer for that one :rolleyes:

----------

where there is smoke there was fire, 3 different girls. where is a vigilante when you need one?

15. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

but it does happen but 7 months after the fact it is pretty hard. so why did they wait?

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

why did she report it to the school & not the police? police should have been first

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

When did the girls report the rape(s)? The article avoids answering that question. The hearing occurred seven months after their rape--and it could have occured the day after their report.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This is the untold story, I have to admit. However, if they reported it immediately after, then the university has some explaining to do as to why it took seven months to have a hearing about it. Everyone know that the most critical time after a rape occurs is up to 72 hours after. That is why they need to be investigated immediately.

BL.

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Here's something to think about:

Three women bring up to the university that this man allegedly raped them. The university found him not responsible all three times.

The women subsequently went to the police. After an investigation, the police decided not to charge him.

That's six different instances where he was accused, but not charged/indicted/punished.

Now, you say "where there is smoke there was fire." Six allegations, six acquittals (of sorts). Based solely on that, one might conclude the "fire" in your analogy might really mean "innocence."

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

police most likely said what BradL suggested, well after 72 hours it will be hard to prove rape as everything gets washed out.

21. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

Or they just dismissed it because it will make them look bad. that has been happening so much that the president is getting involved. universities are notorious for not doing much of anything to help rape victims . so is this one of those cases? that's the question.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That kind of cry for attention isn't usually a sign that someone is in a healthy mental state. There should have been an immediate investigation due to the time critical nature of that kind of crime, and she obviously needs counseling now, from a counselor who does not represent the interests of the university.

It mentions that in the article

Take the second quote with some skepticism. The author quoted Jezebel, which quoted a single line from the police without substantiation.

I'm not sure what she expected that long after the fact. We should teach girls to protect themselves, and the university should encourage them to immediately to go the police. The biggest failure here is that the school doesn't seem to encourage that.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

If they did a full investigation, or at least took it seriously, I'd be inclined to agree. But from the article, it seems like the university just wants to sweep any rape allegations under the rug, and the police dismissed her with lines such as "you invited him into your room, that's not rape".

Granted, she waited far too long to report the rape, and after so much time, it'll boil down to a he said, she said affair. He would've had a better than decent chance of walking, even if he were guilty as sin, and the police/university threw their full weight behind the case.

...but it's like they didn't even try.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

there are many "males" who sadly subscribe to the "some girls rape easy" mentality. :mad:

25. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

If she was raped, she deserves justice for it.

But her tone in these articles sounds like she's upset they didn't automatically believe her. She admits to having had consensual sex twice with this guy prior to the incident, and she also admits that in this particular incident, it began consensually. Her claim is that he began strangling her after she consented to sex and then forced himself on her. She waited a year and a half, and the police were dismissive, as was Columbia.

Do you have access to some information proving his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt?