Columbine: Whose Fault Is It? By Marilyn Manson

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Jul 20, 2012.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

In light of today's shooting, it's a good idea for everyone to read/re-read this. I believe it still applies to this day. This is by far one of the most brilliant things I have ever read.

Source

2. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

I never knew this existed but I am glad you posted it. I couldn't agree more with everything he said. Marilyn Manson is a VERY brilliant man. It's sad that we judge people on looks...

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

When asked what he would say to the Columbine shooters, and he said "I wouldn't say a single word to them. I would listen to what they have to say, and that's what no one did."

Sadly, 12 years later, no one has taken that advice. Marilyn Manson is a very smart and brilliant guy, it's a shame so many people write him off as some whacko because of his music (which, if you actually listened to the lyrics, is just as eloquent and insightful as this essay)

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I have to admit: When I first heard his music, it really rubbed me the wrong way.. but then again, every type of music after 1992 rather rubbed me the wrong way. But his and what he portrayed just didn't jive with me at all.. and yet he was one of the biggest voices of metal in that decade...

But when I read this shortly after Columbine and watched his interview with Michael Moore in Bowling For Columbine, my respect and admiration for the guy shot up 10 fold. Then I started to listen to his music again, and got it.

Take away the glam and his similar thinking to Alice Cooper and Ozzy (that there never was anyone playing the bad guy in glam music), and you see someone with a brilliant mind and a way with words that makes his thoughts relevant.

Thanks for posting this again and reminding everyone of how when you say something a long while ago and it still remains true and relevant years later, that history remembers him for what he says and not how he looks.

BL.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Anytime I've seen anything he has written or said it has been pretty impressive. Used to listen to his music quite a bit.

6. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

7. Happybunny macrumors 68000

8. Fazzy macrumors 6502

He made some very good points in the essay, it was kind of inspiring. Goes to show, you cant judge a book by its cover!