Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I have a few data discs that i burned on my pc. My mac will not read them. I heard somewhere that the powerbook (it's a combo drive) will only read dvd-r's and not +r's. is this correct? I have some files that i would like to put onto my mac, and would like to know if i can just burn them on my pc and still be able to use them with my mac. I was also looking into the external lacie dual dvd+-rw drive for my mac that runs about $250. any input? thanks!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
All Mac CD/DVD drives experience this problem due to lack of support in the Mac OS for DVD+(anything). There were some rumors previously of this situation changing with the release of Panther, but this appears to not be correct. What this means is that ALL DVD+(anything) discs will NOT work in ANY Mac until Apple adds support for these kinds of discs to Mac OS X. I can't help you on buying that DVD burner, though.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I'm not sure if Panther did have that feature or not. But, as wrldwzrd89 said, you need both a drive that supports it (don't think default powerbook drives do) and the OS software support.

lbodnar

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2004
UK
I have put Sony DRU-510 DVD±RW drive in my eMac and now use DVD+RW exclusively. I burn and erase them right from the Finder.

I did a test with iDVD version 2 (very old one) and it refused to create a DVD disk out of DVD+RW. However DVD-R was no problem. This must be Application-specific, and not related to OS support.

I use Panther 10.3.2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.