Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
I have the newest 12" iBook and at the time of purchase i could only afford the 800mhz model with no combo drive. Now that i have some cash kickin I wanna get a device to burn cds! I was thinking about getting either an external drive (which i dont want to cary around) or if possible finding a replacement combo drive from an iBook.

First off does anyone know if this is possible and seccond where could I even get a replacement drive (that is not an Apple store because they will charge me a lot if they even let me do it).

Any sugestions in this matter would

the internal combo drive is definatly worth it. i love mine (i have the 500mhz ibook, first gen with combo drive, slow as hell) but i still love it, i can burn a cd and then go and watch a dvd. if you dont have a dvd drive in your laptop, there is reason enough to go and get the drive, because dvds can help alot when traveling. also the ability to go over to a friends house and just rip him/her a cd right there is great. i recomend shelling out the cash for the internal, however if you went with the external, you wouldent void your warrenty (assuming you will install the internal yourself) and you will have 2 drives so as to be able to copy form one cd to another. there are pros and cons of both, but i recomend the internal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.