Comcast and others bring low-cost, low-income offerings

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mkrishnan, Nov 9, 2011.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Alongside plans to make computers with MS Office available at low cost and provide microfinancing for people who can't afford up-front payment for the computers, Comcast and other internet providers are teaming up with the FCC to offer low-income Americans with cheaper internet access. The initiatives are part of a plan to address the 1/3 of American homes that do not have internet service (which trails a number of other developed and developing countries).

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/11/09/cable-companies-offer-10-broadband-for-poor-households/

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I just hope this doesn't mean an increase in my cable bill.

3. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

Shhhh. None of that reality stuff is allowed. Be a good boy and drink the coolaid.

4. wpotere Guest

Oh, it will.... The company isn't going to do it out of kindness. The regular consumers will flip for the rest.

5. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's the thing... Cable service is so expensive (I don't have it now, but I have in the past). I don't completely understand how the cost structure for residential internet works -- like how it actually costs a provider to offer a higher bandwidth vs. a lower bandwidth. AT&T offers DSL up to 3MBPS for $19.95/mo for first 12 mos (without a longer term subscription requirement) or $14.95 if one has a phone line. I'm not sure whether that is a loss leader.

So, I'm similarly not sure what the actual cost basis is (and if the ROS is negative for this plan, how much the cable company loses on it) for these low cost internet plans.

I'm surprised more cable customers don't balk at the mainstream prices.... I feel like they're kind of outrageous.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Nice to see the spirit of generosity is abroad in the land.:rolleyes: ;)

7. wpotere Guest

Oh it is, the problem is that this is just going to get abused as there seems to be little regulation on it. Much like the free cell phones they hand out to people. Frankly I am getting tired of paying for others unless they really need it.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

We have free WiFi in a few 'poor' enclaves in town, but you would not want the service level provided. Barely above dial-up speeds, but free and usable.