Comedian Samantha Bee calls Ivanka Trump a 'feckless ****'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Vanilla Ice, May 31, 2018.

1. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

"Ivanka Trump, who works at the White House, chose to post the second most oblivious tweet we've seen this week," Bee said. "You know, Ivanka, that's a beautiful photo of you and your child, but let me just say, one mother to another, do something about your dad's immigration practices, you feckless ****!"

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/31/politics/samantha-bee-ivanka-trump/index.html

So now what? Roseanne’s tweet was foul and this is just as bad. Roseanne gets fired and so should Samantha. Especially when talking about the President of the United States daughter. This is getting out of control. We’ll see where TBS goes from here.

2. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Did she attack her race, or her character? That’s the difference.

Nice grasp for straws though.

3. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

I watch TBS enough to see several commercials for her show a week and I have yet to even be mildly amused by anything she says. Going back to her days on The Daily Show I've just never understood the pull of her "comedy".

That said.....I'm assuming this question you raise is rhetorical. Because you know nothing is going to happen. It never does in these kinds of situations. And it only serves to lower the level of overall dialogue in this country even further.

4. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Well, calling someone the c word is considered sexist in the liberal circles. However, she will get to keep her job since she’s a liberal.

5. Rogifan, May 31, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2018

Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

So it’s OK to call someone a ****. Or at least it’s OK if it’s directed to someone whose politics you don’t agree with. Nice situational ethics there Liberals.

6. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I’ve become rather annoyed with the “McResistance’s” faux controversies. Yes, let us all be outraged about Ivanka’s social media intern’s post (what, you think these people actually run their social media accounts instead of just dictating a post now and again?) juxtaposition with a non-related-but-we-can-make-it-look-like-they-are news story.

There are a lot, A LOT, of things to attack this administration for. Focusing on social media ******** is a great diversion and the “liberals” (read: corporate centrists) can’t seem to find any actual thing to fight for.

7. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Hell yeah! That’s one of my favorite words.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Calling someone a feckless ---- is an attack on their character.

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Which is fine, and that's the point.

Character is changeable, race is not.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Winner, winner chicken dinner.

11. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Exactly. That’s the point. There is nothing wrong with attacking someone’s character.

12. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

You didn't quote the best part:

13. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

:D:D:D

That’s actually hilarious. Now THAT is a comedian.

14. 0007776 Suspended

So you’re liking sexist humor now?

15. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

So Trump - who calls people names, lies and blows dog whistles that sound more like airhorns - gets a pass from his base, many of whom now act like any name-calling is off limits.

Sorry, racism is quite a step up from name-calling on the seriousness scale.

16. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

I don't think you understood the joke if you think it's sexist.

17. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

The libs will tolerate anything as long as it’s directed at proper targets.

18. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Sure. Comedy is comedy. Go see any comedy show and it will be full of “ists”. That’s why I find it so funny that righties call liberals PC when 99% of comedians are liberals (Because conservatives aren’t funny). We understand humor and appropriate timing. What Roseanne wrote comparing a block woman to an ape wasn’t humor and it wasn’t funny...it was nasty. You would have to be incredibly obtuse not to see the difference.

19. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Does willfully obtuse count?

I still think this whole Ivanka nonsense is just that, nonsense. The “tone deafness” of a social media account that is run by interns is now a thing worth fighting over rather than the policies (that the democrats handily participated in) themselves?

20. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Yeah that’s usually the case.

21. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Well, no. It’s not that she’s a liberal. It’s that she’s a woman. If Colbert or Oliver said this, it would and should be grounds for termination. This should not be.

22. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Well, the argument seems to be that this isn't just name-calling, it's sexism and therefore it's equal to the racism that Roseanne spouted.

Samantha Bee apparently once called Woodrow Wilson a ****, so I don't think for her it's woman-specific.

A parallel would be if a black woman had said what Roseanne said. If the reaction there had been firing, then there should be firing in this case too. If we're going to go the "everything is the same" route, then we need to find situations where it actually would be the same.

23. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Exactly. If a white comedian referred to Ben Carson as an ape, I would be calling for their crucifixion as well.

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I find it a highly inappropriate remark, as Ivanka clearly lacks any of the depth or warmth. As far as I can tell, she is entirely composed of neoprene.

25. 0007776 Suspended

And how about if Ben Carson called Obama or another black politician an ape?