Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
A TRUE comedy GIANT, bang up there with the best. Rest in peace fella. :(

Link

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
liketom said:
Yes really sad news

a funny man - i still laugh at him in Porridge
Is that like seeing Jesus in a tomato? You could ebay your porridge.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
That's so sad, he was a genius and I don't use the word lightly.

I remember The Two Ronnies, Open all hours and Porridge were required viewing on a Saturday night in the 70's and 80's.

I still catch Porridge on UK Gold almost every week.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Very sad, what a legend
1-pray.gif

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Some of us over here remember him from "The Two Ronnies," which ran on PBS centuries ago. Very funny stuff.

BTW, a beloved American comic, Nipsie Russell, also died this week.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My prayers go out to his family and friends. May he rest in peace. Thanks for the laughter. Another legend gone. :(

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
He'll be making people laugh for years to come from beyond the grave. A truly funny man!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
its a bloody shame this. but i suppose now he's been immortalized as a comedy legend.
to be honest i though that Norman Wisdom would have been the next comedian to pop it.

this also got me thinking; where are the comedy duo acts now? the youngest I can think of are Vic and Bob and they're getting on a bit now. everyone is solo these days.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
I couldn't believe it when I saw it, and neither could my friends.

I watched the news this evening and it had David Jason talking about him, he was nearly in tears. He was such a powerful performer and great guy. He was recognised as the best during his life and will continue to be so now...

His laughter will go on.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
raggedjimmi said:
this also got me thinking; where are the comedy duo acts now? the youngest I can think of are Vic and Bob and they're getting on a bit now.
There's Baddiel and Skinner who spring to mind, but they're about the same age as Vic and Bob. Like you, I'm struggling to think of any really famous younger double acts – I suppose these things go in and out of fashion.

All I can think of are Ant and Dec, and the thought that they're the future of British comedy double acts sends a chill down my spine...

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
The Two Ronnies was one of my favourite shows when I was little. The humour is top notch and clean. I enjoyed the "bring it back" series they did earlier this year, which I just got to see before going travelling. I never really watched Porridge or the one with David Jason but my parents liked those a lot. It's a sad day.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
IJ Reilly said:
BTW, a beloved American comic, Nipsie Russell, also died this week.
Ugh, had not heard that. I didn't think I've ever seen any of Ronnie Barker's work, but I do remember Nipsey Russell. Sad to lose both of these funny men.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
raggedjimmi said:
this also got me thinking; where are the comedy duo acts now?

You can still catch The Krankies come pantomime season. ;) :eek: :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.