Comey Book Highlights

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Huntn, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

James Comey Has a Story to Tell. It’s Very Persuasive.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/12/books/review/james-comey-a-higher-loyalty.html

His new book, A Higher Loyalty.
    https://www.amazon.com/Higher-Loyalty-Truth-Lies-Leadership/dp/1250192455

Trump as always very Presidential, in response called Comey a slime ball and a liar. The question is when will he Trump base finally recognize this is their hero actually describing himself?

Here are some of the most revealing things Comey wrote about Trump:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/12/rea...pts-from-ex-fbi-director-comeys-new-book.html

• Trump brought up the most lurid allegations from the now-infamous Trump-Russia dossier — again and again: In a January 2017 conversation, Trump denied that he had been involved with prostitutes in a Moscow hotel in 2013, "Asking — rhetorically, I assumed — whether he seemed like a guy who needed the service of prostitutes. He then began discussing cases where women had accused him of sexual assault, a subject I had not raised. He mentioned a number of women, and seemed to have memorized their allegations."
    • In a follow-up call on Jan. 11, Trump argued that the allegation couldn't be true because "I'm a germaphobe" and "There's no way I would let people pee on each other around me. No way."
    • Trump brought it up again on March 30: "For about the fourth time, he argued that the golden showers thing wasn't true, asking yet again, 'Can you imagine me, hookers?'"
    • Comey describes Trump as being "untethered to the truth" and appears to allude to Trump when writing about the psychology of liars: "They lose the ability to distinguish between what's true and what's not," Comey writes. "They surround themselves with other liars . . . Perks and access are given to those willing to lie and tolerate lies. This creates a culture, which becomes an entire way of life."
    • When then-Director of National Intelligence James Clapper briefed Trump and his team about the intelligence community's findings on Russian election meddling, Comey said Trump's team "had no questions about what the future Russian threat might be." Rather, they brainstormed how to "spin what we'd just told them" for the public.
    • Trump thought he gave "a really great answer" when he told ex-Fox News host Bill O'Reilly, who had called Russian President Vladimir Putin a "killer," that "there are a ton of killers. We've got a lot of killers. What do you think? Our country's so innocent?"
    • Comey said Trump complained to him about the media response to his answer, saying: "Really, it was a great answer. I gave a really great answer."
    • Comey writes that after Trump fired him, Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly (who has since become Trump's chief of staff) called him and said that "he was sick about my firing and that he intended to quit in protest."
    • "He [Kelly] said he didn't want to work for dishonorable people who would treat someone like me in such a manner," Comey writes in the book. "I urged Kelly not to do that, arguing that the country needed principled people around this president. Especially this president."

2. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Comey highlights... responses to thread zero. LOL

Must be an interesting read.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Comey has to be treated as a biased source. Comey's claims sound plausible, but they're a sideshow, and I am waiting for Mueller's report.

4. raqball macrumors 68000

Now the forthcoming OIG report that will address Comey? That will be a much better and factual read than this tabloid material garbage.

Comey & Stormy should team up and coauthor a book titled 'Screwed by Trump' :D :p

5. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

This is the former Director of the FBI. The petty bitchiness does far more damage to his already disgraced reputation than harming Trump which was his goal....well and fleecing the gullible Americans who bought/but it.

He’s a laughing stock.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I bought two copies incase I want to read it more than once...

7. raqball macrumors 68000

:D

His 'higher loyalty' is obviously to cash! Cha-ching! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

8. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

A lot of blather and pettiness. Where’s the beef?

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Haven't read it all yet, but reading the part where a gunman breaks into Comey's house when he was 16. After much ado, Comey ends up crouched inside the house waiting for the police, with the gunman somewhere outside. Not sure if the gunman has left, Comey grabs a knife, and when the police arrive, he goes out to meet the police with the knife still in his hand. Fortunately, he is quickly believed when he indicates he's not the criminal. But it's a moment that made me think of all the recent police shooting incidents.

10. oldhifi, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018

oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

11. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

To be honest, I don’t think Comey is revealing any grand revaluations here.

1. Trump is extremely narcissistic. That pretty much summarized 99% of those highlights. He cares more about how people perceive him than what his actions are. He overvalues his own opinions and only values opinions who agree with his. He obviously will surround himself with people that will stroke his ego, that’s what narcissists do- in addition to identifying people as either friends or enemies (no grey zone, and one’s status can change back and forth in an instant).
    2. Trump is obsessed with money, power, and sex. Clearly his past relationships and business ventures indicate this. Trump with a hooker, not surprising in the slightest. If and when he can no longer deny the facts he will surely spin it as he’s so macho for having sex with all these beautiful women.

Don’t get me wrong, Trump is a disgrace to the Presidency, but America knew this pathological baggage associated with Trump, that’s what they voted for, and that’s what we got. Trump is the man he was before the election. I certainly did not vote for him, but I hoped at the very least he would grow to fit the shoes of office, but that was wishful thinking.

As for Comey I’m not going to buy his book. For one, the highlights seem to describe things we already know. He’s a guy with a $3m house in Westport, CT and I don’t think I need to pay him to learn the obvious. I also don’t believe Comey is a particularly honorable person in his role as FBI director. I think he should have been fired prior to Trump even stepping into office, but it would have probably been in Trumps best interest not to fire him. But if he felt Trump truly was demanding loyalty, he should have quit out of principle and made it known.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm not reading this book to learn more about Trump, I'm reading it to learn about Comey.

The "highlights" posted in the OP is just about the Trump part of the book, which is just a small section of the book.

Here's a link to another insight into Comey, by a man who is unashamed to identify himself as a friend of Comey.
    https://lawfareblog.com/behind-james-comeys-higher-loyalty

13. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

But in your view Trump's petty bitchiness does no damage to his reputation?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 19, 2018 ---
    Exactly describes Trump.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

How's this for a highlight.
    "Unfortunately, Mayor Young was a bit too charismatic for his own good. Although married with children, he was simultaneously carrying on an ambitious number of affairs with other women. To maintain those relationships in the face of some sexual performance issues, Young had undergone an expensive mechanical penile implant, which then catastrophically failed, leading to additional procedures and costs."

From the section explaining why he prosecuted Martha Stewart.

15. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

The topic is Comey and his book. Please note I didn’t mention Hillary either. So there.

16. raqball macrumors 68000

Yeah I didn't mention Trump either.. :shrug:

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Trump is mentioned multiple times in the OP, so I think it's fair game to bring up Trump.

18. raqball, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018

raqball macrumors 68000

I couldn't care less if Trump is mentioned. I mean this is PRSI and the man gets mentioned in every thread in existence but....

19. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Comey will be able to trade the 1000s of extra copies for chocolate bars and soap on the inside :cool:

20. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

...but nothing. His infamy is well deserved, unmatched by any elected official at the Congressional or National Level. This is an observational not a partisan comment.

21. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

Yeah, Mugsy. Then he can make with the chin-music until the guy canaries.

:rolleyes: Whatever, Edward G.

22. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

SMH

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-illuminate-mystery-of-trump-s-moscow-nights

23. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

24. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

So Comey’s bitchy book has been out for a while...and nothing. Whiff.

25. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Well, if in the current whirl of Trump land, it seems to be the rage laughing at making liberal heads explode.

I supposed one thing to come of all of this, seems to be the annoying of 45 supporters.

https://gizmodo.com/only-verified-buyers-can-review-james-comeys-book-on-am-1825453226