Comey Firing poll, thoughts

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, May 10, 2017.

?

What is the primary reason Comey was fired?

Poll closed May 17, 2017.
  1. Do not know enough

15 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. Time for a change of FBI Director regardless of situation

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. Comey made some mistakes.

4 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Trump is scared! Comny getting close to seriously damage Trump WH.

52 vote(s)
    56.5%
  5. Comey is an idiot, should been fired months ago.

17 vote(s)
    18.5%
  6. Trump FUBAR! Reason is not importnat, how is what matters.

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. PracticalMac, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Comey Firing poll, thoughts

Is there more to the Comey firing that making Trump worry?
    It is easy to have a knee jerk reaction.

Reading posts here in this thread and this thread there is some sound reasons for the firing, but here is the big question:

Was Comey's firing due to his mistakes, something that threatened the current administration, or something else?
    Give it a good thought, come back later if you need time.
    OPTION TO CHANGE is on, as new info is revealed.

(poll tries to be wide but neutral in options)

Documents:

NOTE Memorandum from Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein
    (Looks like source of the eventual firing, says Comey over stepped his authority)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I've gotta say, "do not know enough" is the only valid choice at this time. Trump seems to have acted on the spur of the moment, and the Deputy Attorney General's recommendation is nothing more than a collection of newspaper clips from the last twelve months -- it is worthless as an actual explanation of why Trump would do this.

3. darksithpro macrumors regular

It was a calculated move, that's for sure. IMO they where looking for a reason to get rid. Remember, Trump is a Business man, so when he fires people it's not being impulsive, or emotional, it's just another day at the office for him. He's probably fired more people in his line of work than several presidents combined. So to us it's a big deal, but to him, not so much.

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Hopefully it will truly be revealed as to why he was fired. I selected "Don't know enough" also.

5. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

You have option to change.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Poll needs more options. "Should have been fired long ago, but Trump is scared that Comey is getting closer."

8. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Comey absolutely made some mistakes, but that doesn't mean I thought he should be fired. The timing is bad and has already hurt Trump's already-hurting image. I'll be waiting to find out more, though.

9. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

ADDED NEW OPTION, "TRUMP FUBAR" (F Up Beyond All Recognition)

As well as link to documents for your reading pleasure.

10. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

Comey has made some blunders, but his firing is suspicious given the circumstances. I highly doubt Trump's intentions were pure.

Comey was getting too close. Trump and his goons got scared.

11. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Then pick first, and it makes Trump stupid for not doing to.

Then again my new addition is probably better pick.

12. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Trump is such a coward, couldn't even do it face to face, or even over the phone. Had to send a lackey with an envelope.

13. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

What gets me is that the administration had at least a week to come up with some competent talking points, but the current ones are lame and unconvincing. They sure aren't trying very hard to make it not look like a cover-up. But maybe that's just it. It's so obvious that it obviously can't be a cover-up.

14. HEK Suspended

HEK

Has The Donald someone on staff to tell him his timing for things is, just plain bad.

Praise Comey for going after Hillary for months on end. Then abrubtly fire him when he is out of town and say it's because of how he treated Hillary.

Make sure to mention in your firing letter how Comey said you were not under investigation about Russians.

Then next day have Russian over to White House. with Kissinger sitting there from Nixon watergate days.

You simply can't make this sh** up.

15. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

16. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

No, it just makes them look mind numbingly stupid.
    --- Post Merged, May 10, 2017 ---
    Soon to be a 3 part mini-series on NBC!

17. Zenithal Suspended

I selected "Don't know enough."

Either Mr. Trump is right here and is a smart decision maker by firing Comey or he is as stupid as he seems and believes he can, at will, kill an investigation against him without sparking ire from legislators, investigators, and the senate intelligence committee, then he's sorely mistaken. And most Americans, whether they are Democrats, Republicans, or Independents who have grown sick and tired of him or flipped their opinions, will relish an eventual ouster from The White House, whether under his own will or by force, which our laws allow for. Until then, I'm going to sit back, criticize as I've done with every single predecessor of his I've lived under.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, agreed, you couldn't.

In years to come, people will be reading this stuff in history books, agog and utterly slack-jawed, and will end up by tentatively asking their teachers (which is what I was in a previous incarnation, when I inhabited the groves of academe) "how could this possibly have happened?"

19. Zenithal Suspended

A fantastic way to school-aged children to study history more, so as not to repeat the idiotic choices by their elders.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That's never worked. ;)

21. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Comey did in fact **** up. He did overstep his authority and has proven to be mildly incompetent at times.
    Both sides agree he had to go.
    Trump had lousy timing in doing this, but it was going to happen sooner or later.

Given the fact that info has been leaking like no one has ever seen before, not one single leak has ever tied Trump to the Russians. And you know for a fact if the Dems had any real dirt, that **** would have been leaked to every news outlet on the planet.
    All we've seen or heard is circumstantial speculation, rumors and innuendo. Show me the facts. Real, documented facts.

So call me skeptical on Trump being afraid. Overwhelmed by the job (that he foolishly thought would be easy), sure, but afraid.... not seeing it.

22. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Well Senator Shumer said a couple of weeks ago that Comey should have been fired months ago. So is Shumer stupid also?

23. Zenithal Suspended

Schumer is also now outraged at Trump's decision. I've commented on Schumer in the past. He's not someone I'd recommend anyone to look up to.
    --- Post Merged, May 10, 2017 ---
    We don't have another Adolf on our hands, yet.

24. poloponies macrumors 68030

The reason has been made clear:

"Sarah Huckabee Sanders, told Fox News on Tuesday that "it's time to move on" from the investigations into whether President Donald Trump or his campaign colluded with Russia to influence the 2016 presidential election."

http://www.businessinsider.com/white-house-spokesperson-trump-russia-probe-james-comey-2017-5

What some people won't do for a paycheck. Shoveling Trump's s**t makes coal mining look appealing.

25. jasnw macrumors 6502

What has made the least sense to me in all this cluster-f*** is the appearance that it was all triggered by the memo from Asst AG Rod Rosenstein. I dug a little into his background when he was first brought into the madness that is Jeff Session's DoJ and what I read was of some comfort. He seemed to be a level-headed sort who was likely to be part of solutions to our national nightmare rather than adding to it. Given that it looks like his memo was the detonator, what gives?

However, Slate has an interesting take on this (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...nce/2017/05/rod_rosenstein_is_being_used.html). This is a very unstable situation, what with loose cannons like Flynn wandering around the edges along with an angry Comey and possibly a badly-used Rosenstein, and sooner or later things are going to start popping like the Fourth of July.