Comey Memo Says Trump Asked Him to End Flynn Investigation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IronWaffle, May 16, 2017.

1. IronWaffle, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017

IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Comey Memo Says Trump Asked Him to End Flynn Investigation
    By Michael S. Schmidt, New York Times, May 16th, 2017

(Source: New York Times)

This merry-go-round keeps going faster. Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a [series of] bumpy night.

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Sort of like former president Clinton meeting Loretta Lynch on a plane. :rolleyes:

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Please provide a copy of this memo so that we can all read.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

One more time.

Clinton is NOT President.

Trump IS.

and its nothing like meeting lynch at a plane.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Holy hell. The daily scandal.

When I heard this one on the news awhile ago, this one gave me goosebumps. It is a sitting president meddling in an investigation of his staff and asking it to be stopped. Highly inappropriate. I don't think these incoming onslaughts are sustainable for this administration. And you just know there is more coming. And more things Trump will do wrong and lead to even more scandal. Scandals on top of scandals.

I have been holding off until now because I didn't think it was appropriate yet. However, I think it's time to start thinking about impeachment for real. I'm torn on that though, because part of me enjoys having a buffoon in the White House making the GOP look foolish and getting in the way of their agenda. On the other hand, in a way I might sleep better at night with a Mike Pence presidency (though possibly with one eye open).

Whatever happens going forward I think we can all agree: it's a mess.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

it's ok when democrats do it...............if true however LOCK HIM UP.
    --- Post Merged, May 16, 2017 ---
    thank GOD for that :D

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Democrats..And I dont know why you use pleural. Democrats ARE NOT the President of these United States.

Trump IS.

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

President Clinton was no longer president. Also not threatening Lynch's job, nor in a position to. Thus a much different situation.

9. IronWaffle thread starter macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

[​IMG]

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Congress will be asking for these memos now. Let's see if we can get some actual proof.

11. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Until Trump does something so inappropriate that it causes real, tangible harm to the country, I don't think an impeachment is going to work. The president is the political head of the country; simply acting in an inappropriate manner does not make a sufficient reason to impeach, if the voters are still with him. We saw this with Bill Clinton; he did some truly inappropriate acts in the White House, and was impeached, but came out of the process more popular than when he went in!

Trump still has the solid support of his base, even at this moment, after all these scandals. His voters don't care about the legal niceties. They only care that their man is being harassed by Washington's elites. Until that situation changes, an impeachment will do nothing but solidify Trump's support.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Or the left could actually provide a scrap of proof for any of their accusations, so far we have anonymous
    sources.

13. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I beg to differ. Having her "Keep" her job once Hillary became president what the issue. Wake up!!

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

We have a photo ...

bribe.jpg

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You wake up to Trump's scandals and stop deflecting.

As I mentioned to you the other day when you said this, totally different situation. Clinton wasn't giving secrets to Russian spies in the Oval Office. He was getting sex. You should think of this situation as closer to Nixon, further away from Clinton. Because that is what it is.

His base is irrelevant. What matters is the middle. Those are the people who put him over the line, and those are the people he is running the high risk of losing with all the stuff he is doing. Also losing with all the stuff he is not getting done. This stuff derails everything and he already wasn't getting much done to begin with.

He won't be getting a second term. The photos yucking it up with the Russians in the Oval Office will make nice campaign ads.

16. IronWaffle, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017

IronWaffle thread starter macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Where it gets complicated is that his base, plurality though it may be, is still rock hard and understandably obstinate. That would have to be softened, as I see it. One way is they feel the pain of his implemented (or well-on-the-way policies) because that would penetrate the bubble. The other possibility I see is that if his own overall support and ability to actively work with Congress continues to lag into a sort of passivity with moments of speech/Rose Garden kegger then he won't get much done even with a Republican government. In that case, there's still "that bubble's" machine churning out "obstructionist Dems sabotage Trump" which could fire up the base and put Republican Congresspeople into the same compromised position that got them stuck with Trump in 2016.

Just my 2¢ — and that cost ~2.5¢ to mint!

Edit to add: Other experts are now saying it's possible for it to be tied together. Sounds like lots of wiggle room. Still, I wish it wouldn't be discussed so broadly when it's so uncertain. And the glee of a few people debating bugs me. This is serious stuff. And I still think it's too soon and unwise.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Trump won with the help of midwestern Democrats. That support seems to be softening already in various stories I have seen. I suppose we won't know for sure until the midterms. But my hunch is that there are a high enough number of unhappy Trump supporters to make 2020 an impossibility. Unless something massively chances to turn things around which I acknowledge is possible. However, it's Trump we are talking about, so I see that possibility as shrinking by the day.

18. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Oh, I completely agree! I'm just saying, laws that apply to normal mortal beings do not apply to the president. As such, a president can skirt around issues that would put normal people in jail. Such as his leak of classified info last week.

So an impeachment is not a legal action in the sense that we would normally use that term. It does not go through the court system in any manner. Instead, it is more or less a popularity contest within the Congress. And if those congressmen get a lot of pushback from their constituents, they are not going to convict. That's just the way it is.

Again, I hope you are right. But, to my mind, the far-right has unleashed a monster by calling for so many years to upend the powers that be, that the "elites" are corrupt, that the government should just be torn down and started again from scratch. They've finally gotten a man into the presidency who promised to do just that. And so far as we have seen, he is doing just that.

I don't see why Trump's voters would be unhappy with his performance to date. :( It'll take a more forceful shock to the nation before they truly find his antics bothersome.

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

And he only won the primaries because the mainstream of the Republican Party was split to many ways. I don't think Trump has a chance to win in 2020 (unless the Democrats do something colossally stupid like running Clinton again), and I think he real question is assuming Trump doesn't resign or get impeached will he be able to even survive the Republican primary in 2020. I'd bet someone will decide it is worth it to stand up to him, I'm guessing Kasich as he stayed fairly clean this last time around and is a mainstream Republican.

20. IronWaffle thread starter macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

One of CNN's legal people just went into this as well, suggesting that this is not a likely path to impeachment. Put simply by my simple brain, impeachment is (as you suggest) on a political track and anything criminal related to these memos is likely on a legal track. President can't be sued so impeachment would have to come first so, while this could be fuel for driving public support for an impeachment, it wouldn't be admissible as part of the impeachment. That's my understanding based on two minutes of TV law school (which is still probably better than two years at Trump University!). IF that's the case then I hope that impeachment leaves the public conversation as swiftly as possible because it's not a good drumbeat to be constantly banged out when not viable. IF it becomes a viable thing in the future THEN bang the drum. For my part, I really wish Trump would f*cking "normalize" himself and let the country get closer to arguing over the actual issues. But if you hire a clown, expect a circus. Sorry. That wasn't cool. But I can't take it back.

This weekend I'll probably see a lawyer friend of mine who has government experience. I'll definitely bend her ear on this depending how much more is fleshed out in the media this week.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

democrats are IMHO naive enough to let her run again, that said I don't see trump running 2020 if he manages not to get impeached by then.

22. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

If true, this one will come from the right. Unless in the Trump topsy turvey world the FBI is now part of the left.
    --- Post Merged, May 16, 2017 ---
    Oh no, I think a more apt way to put it is they are stupid enough to let her run again.

23. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Your IMHO is about is about as reliable as trumps mouth telling the truth. your about as humble as trump too IMHO

24. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Karma is a b***h......

You can run around shouting at the dishonest press for a solid year, insult judges and be an all around dumb a***, but only if you are squeaky clean.

I'm sure there's lots more to come....

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

pretty low blow there steve.
    Karma got us trump :D