Comey stopped by students...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Sep 22, 2017.

1. yaxomoxay, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Did anyone ever question if they hate being black?

3. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

BLM really has gone wayside. I said it from the beginning, they needed a clear objective goal in mind... they have nothing but some organization and even that is poor. You can't enact legislative and systematic change if there isn't a national agenda behind the movement.

I support the ideology behind the idea that there are racial issues in America, and that these things need to be brought to the table, but whole heartedly do not support the organization.

4. appleisking macrumors 6502a

The students involved should be expelled if this was an unapproved protest (I assume Howard is a private school)

5. VulchR, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Howard University has always been a little extreme, but then again black people living in DC have a hard time of things on average.

In any case, FWIW, nothing in the story mentions BLM. There was one person interviewed who identified as being with HU Resist, but I am not sure it makes sense to equate them with BLM. In this regard, not every black person protesting is a member of BLM.

6. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Black Liberation Movement.
    However, my fault :)

7. Zenithal macrumors G3

Some people choose to be stupid. I recall a photo that was circulated in 2015 or 2016, of a few BLMers yelling at Sanders while he was giving a speech at a rally, calling him a racist and privileged white person. Similarly, we can't forget that silly woman from two weeks ago. The Canadian. Yes, yes, you know who I'm referring to. Who stood up at a town hall to a Sikh politician and accused him of being Muslim and supporting Sharia law. Even after being told he wasn't Muslim and that he was Sikh, the woman kept berating him.

Idiots come in all shapes, sizes and colors.

8. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

....you don' know much about Comey's record do you?

He signed off on torture, tried to shamelessly expand surveillance, pushed for indefinite detention, etc.

I KNEW the no-nothing "let's support anything as long as it's against Trump" crowd would fall for this rebranding of monsters like Comey and Mueller, but goddamn it takes a ****ing second to google his record.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/31/james-comey-fbi-director-clinton-emails
    https://theintercept.com/2016/02/25...rboarding-is-now-losing-sleep-over-an-iphone/
    https://www.aclu.org/blog/national-...eys-bush-years-record-he-becomes-fbi-director
    https://constitutionproject.org/documents/james-comey-olc-torture-documents-a-chronology/

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yeh because that's what BLM stands against...

BLM is a dumpster fire, anyone associated with it is a piece of garbage.

10. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

What a well reasoned post about those speaking out against oppression. By all means, let lift monsters up as heroes because they are currently involved in overthrowing another monster. :rolleyes:

I thought you cared about rights when you were in the USA? This jackwad had been undermining them his entire career, but the scary scary BLM is in the picture so it's time to line up behind an authoritarian of choice, no?

11. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I don’t know their motivation, but I don’t support it.

As much as I dislike Comey, he should be allowed to speak.

Demonstrators like this strive to shut down free speech while expecting the protection of it.

It’s like affirmative action...being awarded something on the same basis one doesn’t want to be excluded from it.

12. 0007776 Suspended

Saying that they have some organization is being generous. They have no organization, just a loose idea that there is a problem because too many blacks are being killed by police officers, but they have no coherent message about what to do to change that. And that lack of organization is what allows the crazies to get all the media attention.

13. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

If I could pick one thing on my side that I hate more than anything, it's not the "elite"... I don't agree with these things on college campuses. Let them talk. Demand they have a Q&A session, and do things ORDERLY.

I applaud Comey for going to Howard U, if they're just pissed because they think he "cost Hillary the election", then pfft.

At the same time, if they can shout someone - with free speech - from their foundation, I'm okay with that too. I just wish they would overpower by peaceful engagement instead of shouting.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Don't get me wrong, the FBI and CIA are not on the side of the citizens, and I'm not defending Comey in any way, but BLM is so disorganized it might as well not be a movement at all.

15. Zenithal macrumors G3

It's a couple consonants and vowels away from being an actual movement.

16. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    It is asinine that the method most used by protest groups these days is the suppression of speech instead of free speech. Discussion has been replaced with the hand over ears screaming temper tantrum method.

17. Zenithal macrumors G3

It's what's become the norm. I have no idea how old you are, but you're probably old enough to remember a time when we were young students and waited for our turn to debate or speak. We also had manners. I blame Facebook and Instagram. When non-professionals begin taking pictures of their food for virtual likes or whatever, you know society is on a tipping point.

Ever see Dead Poet's Society? Classes used to be like that across the country. I have no idea what class is like now for a lot of schools, but I imagine it's a step up from Ringling Bros.

18. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    BTDT remember it well.
    I am beyond the half century mark ... :eek:

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

As am I. All I can say is that at University level classes are the same, except students are now 'customers' and act like it. As do their parents....

20. Zenithal macrumors G3

Ah, yes, the old "I pay your salary" diatribe. Saw it in a comedy once, thought it was a joke, then learned it's an actual movement by students.

21. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

....as a direct response to the decades long creep of corporatizing higher education. Why do you think administrative roles have been the only employment growth while actual teachers are lucky to get passed the inhumane adjunct system we have set up now?

If universities insist on becoming mills to pump out corporate drones due to concerted efforts to underfund to the point they have to turn to corporations, then let's be honest about how the relationship between students and schools have changed.

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The saddest thing about this is the loss of any respect for the academic staff. Where I am, we are actually lucky with the quality of our managers. but sometimes they are overheard saying things like academic staff are 'interchangeable boffins'. They get their arms out of joint patting themselves on the back after meaningless and useless student satisfaction surveys (taken usually before the courses have even ended). Mind you, if the evaluations come back negative, it's the staff's fault, not management's, and it's the end of the world. Never mind that student satisfaction surveys are negatively correlated with academic achievement... and positively correlated with all sorts of student biases and prejudices.

23. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I'll say this, anyone supporting NFL players kneeling need to tell their liberal friends to shut up when someone they don't like comes to talk (hold up a sign, ask for a Q&A), and those on the right screaming about the liberal lefties overriding the 1st amendment need to be the first to support kneeling.

You cannot have this argument both ways.