Comey's Aaron Sorkin Moment

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jun 8, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

Comey's Aaron Sorkin moment for those that missed it:

The Russians interfered in our election during the 2016 cycle. They did with purpose. They did it with sophistication. They did it with overwhelming technical efforts. It was an active measures campaign driven from the top of that government. There is no fuzz on that. It is a high confidence judgment of the entire intelligence community and the members of this committee have seen the intelligence. It's not a close call. That happened. That's about as unfake as you can possibly get. It is very, very serious, which is why it's so refreshing to see a bipartisan focus on that. This is about America, not about a particular party.

The reason this is such a big deal is we have this big messy wonderful country where we fight with each other all the time, but nobody tells us what to think, what to fight about, what to vote for except other Americans. And that's wonderful and often painful. But we're talking about a foreign government using technical intrusion and lots of other methods tried to shape the way we think, we vote, we act. That is a big deal. And people need to recognize it. It's not about Republicans or Democrats. They're coming after America, which I hope we all love equally. They want to undermine our credibility in the face of the world. They think that this great experiment of ours is a threat to them, and so they're going to try to run it down and dirty it up as much as possible.

That's what this is about. They will be back, because we remain, as difficult as we can be with each other, we remain that shining city on the hill, and they don't like it.

2. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Really?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...the-u-s-interfering-with-elections-elsewhere/

[​IMG]

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

BS claims from third parties, nothing more.

5. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

I'm responding to your point about us being the shining city on the hill.

I have no comments on Comey. Nothing will come of the testimony. Stock market is up 80 points because the majority think there's not enough to impeach.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/08/us-stocks-wall-street-comey-uk-election.html

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Stock market has been on an upward trend. Testimony or not.

7. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

You're kidding? It's been trending down the past 5 days in anticipation of some shocking news. It hasn't come and we are having a relief rally.

It's over.

8. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

If you insist. It's not over. That was only the public testimony. I'm not saying anything will come of it. But it's not over. Not by a longshot. Trump's entire term will be plagued by such issues.

9. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

That I agree with it. It will be like Benghazi. But he's not getting impeached. He might even get reelected.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

trump? yes, he has the thinnest skin EVER, his team? nah.

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

He won't get re-elected. The job itself bores him. He probably doesn't want to quit. He might yet be impeached and removed. If he is, it will almost surely be by his own hand sending the invitation. I don't know who was with him today watching those hearings. Someone to keep him from tweeting himself out of the Oval Office? He might not even mind!

This is a guy who can't deal with anything not being about him. He's likely going nuts today because James Comey got free airtime, a guy Trump FIRED, how could this even happen in a decent reality TV show?

Did you ever see that photo of Trump all by himself in the Smithsonian's African American museum in the foreground, facing the long shot towards the "I SHOOK UP THE WORLD" Muhammad Ali - A Force for Change display? Trump must have some truly lonely moments once in awhile when he bumps into the inconvenient reality that other forces for change do walk this planet.

AForceForChangeEh?.jpg

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Keep dreaming. Not even close to being over. You wish, but it's not realistic at all. The special investigation has barely started. Also, the stock market was up before the hearing even started this morning.

13. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

That's because Comey's written testimony was released yesterday.

No smoking gun.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Well tanning booths will do that to skin.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

WHAT special investigation?

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

It's amazing how different people can watch/follow the same testimony and come up with the exact opposite conclusions.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

landslide win they said..................... :D

18. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I think many realize this itself won't lead to an impeachment. However we're not privy to what's being said in the classified part being held now. Nor what the future holds.

However - the fact that Comey got so much "air time" as a fired employee of Trump will no doubt play out shortly with Trump having another vowel movement on twitter. I expect everything short of liar liar pants on fire coming from him

19. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I've gotta say, I've been truly amazed just how quiet Trump has been in the last 48 hours. He was all over the Qatar thing on Monday, but he's held his tongue since then. He's got to be fit to explode by this point...

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Two tweets yesterday, (just checked) - bland stuff about heading off to Cincinnati (and talking to "victims" of Obamacare).

Yes, @samcraig - absolutely wonderful expression that - I think we can expect to see another explosive "vowel movement" before too long.

21. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I'm pretty sure all the bland stuff is written by his staff. I mean, can you imagine Donald Trump actually composing a sentence like this one?

Screenshot from 2017-06-08 14-05-07.png

Inconceivable! :)

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It could be trending up because the markets anticipate the UK election being a solid Conservative victory, or they anticipate the UK being less likely to leave the EU badly, or whatever.

Or it could be UK investors moving their money out.

23. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Did you read the CNBC article?

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, agreed.

Actually, reading it, the words "details to follow" struck me as too precise - and tamely polite - to be the authentic voice of enraged insanity that we have one to expect in the small hours.

But, I don't doubt that Mr Trump will manage to get his sticky and grubby and stubby thumbs back in position hovering over his phone so that he can fire off fresh tweets in due course.

Blessed Twitter silence is invariably followed by a series of splenetic rants.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

he ate at taco bell?

[​IMG]