Comey's memos allegedly contained classified info.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Jul 9, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

This is old news. Comey himself stated during his testimony that only a few of his memos were written in such a way as to exclude classified information:

HEINRICH: The memos that you wrote, you wrote — did you write all nine of them in a way that was designed to prevent them from needing classification?

COMEY: No. On a few of the occasions, I wrote — I sent emails to my chief of staff on some of the brief phone conversations I had. The first one was a classified briefing. Though it was in a conference room at Trump Tower, it was a classified briefing. I wrote that on a classified device. The one I started typing in the car, that was a classified laptop I started working on.​

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/08/full-text-james-comey-trump-russia-testimony-239295

So everybody has known for at least a month now that some of Comey's memos contain classified info.

2. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Mmm, no.
    These are the memos he leaked, not the emails and briefings he's talking about.

3. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

No, really! Heinrich asks specifically, "The memos that you wrote"; he even specifically mentions that there were nine memos in total. These nine memos are the ones Comey talks about, and they are the ones being discussed in the Hill article you quoted.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Lock him up!

Seriously though, what possibly was classified about his meeting with Trump?

5. samcraig macrumors P6

I think if something were of consequence - it would have had teeth by now. I find it hard to believe that they are just getting around to looking at the memos and determining what is or was not classified. That would seem backwards given he's testified.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Than how will he get makeup tips.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Trump only uses one color

9. darksithpro macrumors regular

GOLD!!!!!! WHAT DO I WIN, JKCERDA?

10. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Comey is a goofball and a dirtbag. I don't care to see him in trouble, but after watching that pathetic display of contradictory dialogue, I'd be surprised if he didn't screw up.

11. darksithpro macrumors regular

He's also tall, very, very tall. Trump doesn't like people taller than him! ;):eek:

12. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Probably not. People in positions of power don't take kindly to looking up to people.

"Mr. President.."

"Crouch when you speak to me Comey!"

"Lower... Lower... Lo... Ok that's fine, what"

13. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I thought the name of the game in journalism these days is to keep digging in the hope that you find the teeth even though you've come up dry for over a year...

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Some things are more black and white. Other things require an investigation. Whether or not Comey divulged classified information is pretty cut and dry.

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

This story is b/s, pure and simple.

Senator Blunt - a Republican - is trying to deflect attention from where it really belongs: President Trump's pretty blatant attempt to obstruct Justice in the investigation of Michael Flynn and his own links to Russia.

Blunt is doing this by adding a peculiar ex post facto definition of what is, and what isn't, classified material. Remember, these memos weren't official FBI documents, put together from confidential sources, or the work product of Agents and analysts. These were the personal recollections of fmr. Director Comey himself. In that respect, they are no more "classified material" than the personal diaries that millions of ordinary people keep. Senator Blunt is suggesting that, as a result of his high position within the FBI itself, literally anything that Comey wrote down could become technically classified information.

That is an absurd standard for "classified information." On that standard, no former Government official - from ex-Presidents to former enlisted soldiers- could ever write down or discuss any event that took place during their time of service. Now: Some former intelligence and military officials are required to submit their memoirs for review prior to publishing them. But in no case that I can recall, was any such official required to keep their rough drafts or working notes of such documents in Government-approved secure storage.

Keep your eyes on the birdie kids. And don't fall for this sad little attempt to divert your attention from the real issue here: The slam-dunk Obstruction of Justice case against Donald Trump.

16. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Actually, no, it's not BS, nor is it pure or simple. Comey himself has noted that only some of his memos were written in such a way as to avoid classified information; others did include classified information, and those were not made public (despite what is implied in that Hill article).

The problem, of course, is that defining what is classified and what is not, what is owned by the FBI and what is not, and what Comey could do either when he was an employee of the government or when he was an unemployed citizen, is somewhat complicated. Comey's creation and handling of these documents can indeed be put under question. So far as I can tell, however, Comey has more-or-less stayed on the side of the law in his actions, however unseemly it may be to the GOP to see Trump's interactions with his subordinates revealed.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

By some accounts - if personal recollections are classified based on government role - Trump is going to be screwed over by his twitter feed ;)

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It's the old Republican conflation game. Comey wrote some memos. Some of which contained classified information, some of which did not. The fact that the ones he made public didn't have classified information is something the Republicans hope that ordinary Americans lose track of. It's exactly what they did to Hillary Clinton.

As long as dullards hear the words "classified information" and "leaked" in the same sentence, they'll jump to the wrong conclusion, which is what the Republicans want you to do.

19. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

Ignore this Comey story. Trump brought up Comey again because his son (junior) was exposed and he can't get his story straight.

Trump wants us to be distracted.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

all he needs to do is tweet and there will be 3-5 threads on his tweets................ :D

21. samcraig macrumors P6

He did tweet. There weren't 3-5 new threads. I guess you were wrong.

22. zin macrumors 6502

The conclusion is the right one. The FBI is asserting that ALL of the memos are government property, not James Comey's personal diary notes. It's in the OP's article.

23. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

However, the FBI is not asserting that all the memos contain classified information. Nor does the OP's article state that any memos containing classified info were released to the media. The accusation is simply worded in a clever manner to make people believe that.

Trump's accusation, of course, is a total lie. But then he watched the Fox News report based on the Hill article, and so I can forgive him for reaching the conclusion they implied. It's kinda sad that our commander in chief can fall so easily for fake news, though.

24. zin macrumors 6502

Unauthorised dissemination of government records, in this case of the FBI, is illegal, classified or unclassified.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/641