Comey's Testimony (and pre-Testimony Statement)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IronWaffle, Jun 7, 2017.

1. IronWaffle, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017

IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Comey's pre-testimony statement (all seven pages HERE).

[I planned on including excerpts but, really, this should be read]

Bonus: If you still want some further Quinnipiac just released its latest poll results (all 25 pages HERE). They've added a few spots for Comey, Jared and Ivanka. As I'd expect, the numbers are slowly drifting downward.

2. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

Just finished reading it. Tomorrow is gonna be good. Not so good for Agent Orange though.

[​IMG]

3. zin macrumors 6502

Summary:

• Trump was not being investigated personally.
    • Trump allegedly said "I need loyalty" during a dinner meeting with Comey, which made him uncomfortable.
      • Trump later said he wanted "honest loyalty", and Comey agreed.
    • Comey shared his memos with senior FBI agents.
    • Trump defended Flynn's meetings with Russian officials, but also had concerns about Flynn that he did not specify.
      • Trump later said that he "hoped [he] could [let] this go", referring to Flynn's meetings with the Russians. This was in response to Flynn's meetings in particular, not the broader Russian investigation, Comey states.
      • Comey did not report this conversation to anybody at the Justice Department.
    • Comey claims Trump repeated to him what he has said to the press, that he had "nothing to do with Russia" and that the investigation was preventing him from acting in his position as president. Trump and Comey agreed that the investigation should finish quickly.
    • Comey informed Congress that Trump was not under investigation.
    • Trump repeated that he had done nothing wrong with regard to the Russians, and said that if his "satellite" associates had done something wrong, it would be good to find this out.
    • Trump again requests that Comey figure out a way to tell people that he isn't being investigated. Comey said he would look into it. Comey took the request to the Deputy AG and awaited guidance.
    • Trump for a final time asked for an update on his request. Comey said he is still awaiting guidance and then told Trump to get the White House counsel to contact the Deputy AG. Trump said he would do that.

4. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

He's already blown Trumps lies out of the water.

http://thehill.com/policy/national-...trump-asked-him-to-let-flynn-investigation-go

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Obstruction - it's pretty clear. This isn't good for cheetoh.

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

7. Zwopple macrumors regular

Lots of ways to read this, it isn't a massive smoking gun but it's also not pretty either. There is going to be clear grounds for obstruction of justice.

8. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Wow. Just, wow. Feels like I'm reading a Mafia novel... Trump actually says stuff like "I have been very loyal to you, very loyal; we had that thing you know." to try and motivate people to do what he wants?

9. zin macrumors 6502

Nope.

Everything in Comey's statement was up until April 11. Comey testified on May 3 that "not in his experience" has the FBI been told to stop investigating something "for a political reason".

Edit: Added Comey quote to clarify.

10. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Oh, absolutely! In terms of the law, there is nothing really certain about what Trump has done; he's merely implied that he wants to pervert the justice system, he never ordered Comey to act illegally.

But man, the pranks Trump pulls are right out of The Godfather, aren't they? ;) When the big boss invites you to a personal dinner and starts talking about loyalty, you know what he really means, don't you? If all he wanted was for you to be a loyal worker, a five minute pep-talk in the office would be enough to get that message across.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

Don't really care about your "proof." As stated in this document - this sounds like obstruction. If you don't see it - you're being blinded by something.

In fact - it sounds/reads like a scene from a mob movie.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2017 ---
    Did Comey get one scoop or two?

12. IronWaffle thread starter macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

You're giving him too much credit with that reference:

13. zin macrumors 6502

The proof was Comey's previous testimony.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Also - Trump didn't need PRIVATE meetings with ONLY Comey if he wasn't trying to "suggest" that Comey "drop it."

15. Mackan macrumors 65816

A trait among narcissists and psychopaths is that they try to manipulate and use people, and demand loyalty. If they don't get it... well, you become their target. You are never a friend to them. Just a tool.

My guess is that there will be drama from this, but that the Republicans ultimately will do nothing about it.

16. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I think the left will be pretty disappointed tomorrow. I'm also expecting the left to desperately blow every little thing way out of proportion, as they have been for months now.

17. poloponies macrumors 68030

My takeaway was that Trump was such an obvious lying slimeball that Comey needed to take detailed contemporaneous notes, which had not been his habit with Obama.

18. MarkusL macrumors 6502

A couple of other highlights:
    • Trump's out-of-the-blue assertion that he has not been involved with any Russian hookers.
    • Comey asking the AG to not have to endure any more one-on-one conversations with Trump, but the calls kept coming.

19. niploteksi macrumors regular

I'll quote the edited post instead.

Is the DOJ the Whitehouse? From what I've understood, Comey is answering about the DOJ. For someone wearing a tinfoil hat it could also sound a bit like he's poking at Trump with those comments.

20. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I don't think the hookers thing was out of the blue; you may remember there was a fake dossier (created on 4chan I think) that included all sorts of outrageous jabs at Trump. But I could be wrong...

I don't think Trump listens to a word Sessions says either, so I wouldn't expect Trump to stop calling even if he did ask the president to stop.

21. MarkusL macrumors 6502

Still, it does smell a bit like Trump providing input to an investigation of his person that Comey had already said was not going on.

As for Comey's request to Sessions, I share your assumption that the following events say more about Trump than about Sessions.

22. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, in the sense that the DOJ is part of the executive branch, and the White House is the head of the executive branch, yes.

23. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Hmm, no. Comey is directly talking about DOJ in the testimony, not President Trump or the White House. Huge difference. He was not asked about from the White House.

24. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

The establishment Democrats need to tell us how many new jobs this investigation has created and how far past the next 4 years minimum will these jobs still be around.

25. zin macrumors 6502

That was a typo. It should have said the DOJ because that's where the order would come from if there was one. The president cannot directly order the director to do something. He would have to instruct his AG (the FBI Director's boss), who would then order the FBI to do something.

Of course, he can make requests, as Comey's statement shows. But his statement also shows that his requests were denied.