Comfort — Deskless development

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by EssentialParado, Jun 27, 2011.

?

What's your development environment?

1. I develop at a desk and wouldn't change it for the world

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. I develop at a desk and would like a more comfortable alternative

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. I develop from a couch / comfortable unconventional area and love it

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. I develop from a couch / comfortable unconventional area and want a desk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I'm about to buy a new development machine for some quite high-end 3D game development on iOS and am trying to decide between an iMac or MacBook pro.

My reasoning is because I haven't been a desktop user since 2004, and I find it very uncomfortable nowadays whenever I try sitting at a desk for any extended periods. Despite being quite a healthy and fit individual, I never seem able to get comfortable on a chair and prefer to lie on a couch with my laptop. I've also recently been learning about the health concerns related to sitting at a desk for many hours, so I'm just wondering about the practicality of me considering desk-less development and if anyone does it?

I guess my development options are:
    - a desk with an iMac
    - a couch with a laptop
    - a couch with wireless keyboard & trackpad, iMac on coffee table

I'm curious to hear thoughts from developers. The thought of coding from a couch is a strange concept to me but if others do it, maybe it's a realistic option...

2. dantastic macrumors 6502a

dantastic

Don't think we can give you an answer to this one. Whatever works for you I suppose.

I'm at a desk with an iMac and an extra screen. I could not imagine myself with a laptop. Nor working on the sofa for that matter but that's my personal preference..

3. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

When I worked from home, having a desk sitting just made sense, plus it kept business "business" ...I have a very hard time concentrating and thinking analytically from a couch or unconventional environment.

That said, I would love to have a different desk setup than I currently have, but being as working from a home office is not my main source of income anymore I can live with it.

:)

4. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I voted even though I'm not developper - but I spend so much time on my computer ;)

I can't find any comfortable position to use my laptop on a couch/chair/long chair. I invested in a good office chair and I can have the best ergonomic position as possible.

5. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

I never could produce any serious amount of code without a formal setting of some sort.

6. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I use a laptop at a desk. Best of both worlds. When I'm tired of sitting at the desk, I can bring the laptop with me anywhere (the couch, the bed, the living room, the dining table, a coffee shop, a bar) and when I'm at my desk, I can hook it up "desktop" style to a an external monitor/keyboard/mouse and the rest of my peripherals.

Why limit yourself to your "laptop on a couch" or "iMac on a desk" :confused:

7. EssentialParado thread starter macrumors 65816

Good input so far.

I'm considering the laptop at desk idea — this way I'm not limited.

However I shall also look into ergonomic office chairs.

8. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

+1 for laptop at a desk

I also use an external monitor and keep the laptop closed. Work at a desk during the day, and use the laptop in bed on nights I have too much on my mind to sleep.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It depends on my mood. Sometimes I like sitting on my desk, but at other times I get bored and just have to take my computer with me to my bed, floor, or sofa.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

+1

When I was working from home I usually had 3 screens going. Work lappy running Windows and personal MBP running OS X with external.

When I wanted a change of scenery the MBP went with me and I would RDP over to the work laptop at my desk.

B

11. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I don't strictly do game development, but I do a bit of graphics work and have found that I perform my best at a desk. Doesn't matter what work I'm doing really, whether it's graphics, music, or just word processing, I'm definitely more productive at a desk. I have a laptop, and I set it up at my desk with an external mouse, keyboard, speakers and monitor set, so it basically turns into an underpowered desktop. It's far easier to use, especially with the extra real estate, but it's always nice to unplug it and chill out on the sofa for when I'm not working.

12. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Desk part aside, I'm actually curious why anyone in their right mind would choose a Mac over a PC for gaming. My DIY AMD-based desktop which costs far less than a loaded 15in MBP will wipe the floor with Macbook Pro in any heavy PC game. Pretty sure it will pwn an iMac just the same. So why would you want to use a Mac for this?

13. EssentialParado thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not buying a Mac for gaming, I'm using it for iOS game development.

14. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

You said:
    Naturally I assumed you meant for serious gaming on a proper platform. My apologies. FWIW iOS most likely won't require a monster of machine for game development so you're good there.

15. iphonepiephone macrumors regular

"pwn"? Really? You do realise this is a forum for discussion amongst civilised adults? :D

I suggest you go and wipe the floor...

16. EssentialParado thread starter macrumors 65816

Why would you assume such a thing when I specifically said iOS?

Anyways, bygones be bygones... Up for a game of New Super Mario Bros., Halo Reach, then Uncharted 2?
    ...Oh wait...