Comic Strip Explains White Privilege

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Digital Skunk, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I liked it, short and sweet and to the point.

3. astrorider macrumors 6502

If 72% of the US is white, why is it an example of white privilege that 71% of the bachelor's degrees go to whites?

4. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The statistic states that whites are 72% more likely to get accepted over minorities with the same credentials.

5. astrorider macrumors 6502

No it doesn't. There's a finer print with different numbers (78/22) that references what you're talking about. Is there a study you can reference that attempts to quantify this?

The first slide's reference is to the US Dept. of Education number of degrees conferred at 71% to 29%. Since there are 72% whites in the US, I would have expected white privilege, if any, to yield higher percentages of whites receiving bachelor's degrees, wouldn't you?

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

So what was the point of that again? "White privilege" exists and we should just be educated about it?

7. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

For the O.P., I seemed to be able to read it at your link or was that just excerpts? Can anyone dispute the statistics? The rub seems to be that she has associated these statistics with discrimination which can't possibly be in the minds of certain white folks of a conservative leaning. Death threats are a sad self inditement of the nature of those issuing the threats.

----------

White privilege is just another term for discrimination.

8. astrorider macrumors 6502

White privilege is less about overt racism and more about how the system, based on a history of racism, is now rigged in favor of whites. Even if there were no racism today, there would still be white privilege.

I know it's hard for you to pass up a chance to call conservatives racist, but I think the point of this campaign, which you're helping to make, is that it's comical to absolve yourself with "I'm not racist" while benefitting from racism's history.

I just had a hard time getting past the first slides stats since they seem to show no privilege, which would be surprising.

9. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I don't discriminate, yet I fall under the white privilege umbrella, so I do discriminate? How does that work? I'm discriminatory?

10. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

You are assuming I am absolving myself. Tell me how if the system is rigged in favor of one race, this is not discrimination/racism or tied directly to it? I don't believe all conservatives are racists, but I assume by the nature of liberalism, most racists will avoid that end of the spectrum.

----------

I see your point, but we are participating a system that by its nature is racist, so are you absolved? When liberals promote diversity programs to overcome this bias, do you cheer or curse?

11. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Addressing a weighty issue in a comic strip format that concludes "and *********g educate yourself" simply undermines the writer's credibility.

Lightweight fluff, IMHO. Pity.

12. astrorider macrumors 6502

Didn't say it wasn't.
    Like I said, that's not really the bigger topic of white privilege. Except that by pointing the finger at someone else for fault, and changing the focus away from you, you're acting like the poster child of the comic.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The school stat I take issue with. In a perfectly neutral setting, you should have a rough correlation between the percentage of people colors in society and the percentage of people colors attending an institution. As a couple of censuses ago, I think about 65% of the people in US are white, 14% are black, 16% are Hispanic, and 4% are Asian. Bachelors degrees look to be falling pretty closely along the racial demographics, with only a slight bias towards whites.

It doesn't mean that if you're white, you have a 71% better chance at getting a degree as someone else. That's a bit of a sensationalist interpretation of the data.

So if you're black, Hispanic, or Asian, you have about the same chances of getting a degree as a white person, but our justice system will throw your non white ass in jail the first chance it gets.

14. Huntn, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

Huntn Suspended

Huntn

What do you think is the purpose of this comic? To explain why whitey gets to benefit, but it's not our fault or to assign fault to everyone who benefits from the bias built into the system? Who do you think this girl was getting death threats from?

This business about the system is rigged, the system is administrated by individuals who make choices, such as when a black person is pulled over in a white neighborhood, was it the system or the two police officers who made a decision to take an action? It's racism, it may be institutionalized racism, but that just makes it worse.

I admit that I have benefited from the system as it exists. This is why I support diversity programs or any other action that will change things for the better.

15. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

While i see the discrepancy, I don't see the relation. The entire US population isn't attending college, so comparing the numbers to the entire US population percentage isn't necessary.

Even her numbers are off as well. The nation is 63% white non hispanic.

So by this logic, it should be about 36% non-white that are getting bachelors degrees. Which it isn't even by actual dept of edu statistics.

Could someone answer me how 88% of upper class America is white (esp. since only 63% of the nation is such) and how colleges will over-look low income students?

I don't mean to be snarky, just that again, your point is very moot. Economic disparities in society and in college and in college admissions are correlative.

p.s. Sorry for the long reply.

Um . . . . yes. Or maybe add something intelligent.

16. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I don't see that.

17. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

All very true. Save for the layout of the degrees among races. Asians have a higher percentage then even whites at getting into college, and getting out with a degree.

It's good news, because most whites that favor merit based education change their minds when given those facts.

I'll leave the jail issue alone . . . that's a hot topic for me.

18. astrorider macrumors 6502

My bad, I didn't see the statistics were for non-hispanic whites, i.e. 63% in the general population vs bachelor's degrees conferred at a higher rate of 71%. I was comparing the 71% rate to 72% white and thinking the statistics were showing there was simply no difference vs the general population.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

WOW.:eek:

Missed the point entirely on that one. You would fall right under one of the very first frames of the comic.

20. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Naw it's not a problem. I never noticed that inconsistency in the comic. She does go from 78% to 72%.

I really wouldn't expect much from a comic strip though. It's a nice way to spark a convo however.

Personally, I don't hold a grunge against racial bias in terms of higher education. There is in fact an economic bias, and because of it blacks and Latinos (who are more likely to make less money) are affected, but it's not the end of the world as much as the criminal justice system is.

Or if we were talking about AA, I'd have more to say since people forget that all races, genders, ethnicities, etc. are benefitted by colleges taking a harder look at facts and information, instead of a loosely defined term like "meritocracy" or "merit" based admittance.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Right. I can't claim to be an expert on demographic splits in schools, but on the surface at least, it does look like it's a little more fair than most other institutions. As in there doesn't seem to be any system in place that actively discriminates against one group of people over another.

As for Asians having a higher percentage of getting into and getting out of college, well...that's because they study harder. Asian culture puts a huge emphasis on education, so it's natural that any normal person growing up in that environment will end up doing better in school than people with a slightly more lax view on education.

Where people tend to make their biggest mistake is when they see a bunch of Asian kids getting good grades, they'll tend to assume that all Asians must be smarter by default, so they have to game the system a bit if they want an equal chance at success for them and theirs. That's not the case. What they fail to realize is that it's not racial at all. It's cultural. And culture is, at its most basic, a mindset.

22. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I guess it's the pugnacious tone I don't like. I get the feeling that neither the writer nor the artist are interested in engaging people with opposing views and convincing them they're right. Selling is difficult - but it must be done. Instead, they delight in blasting others for being dumb. Indeed, the article opens and closes with these gems:

• "Ever had a hard time explaining white privilege to clueless people?".
    • "And ****ing educate yourself"

Charming.

Maybe they're going for "shock tactics" with that full-frontal approach, but it seems more alienating than anything else. It's a shame, because it's a serious topic that deserves serious examination.

23. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Maybe this is how you reach the target audience of this comic?

24. plinden, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I looked this up when I first read the comic, and you are right - the comic strip writer had no idea how to display statistics.

It's actually more complicated than it seems. Blacks and Hispanics are under-represented in higher education in terms of population, but I wonder how much of that can be more directly related to low income. What percentage of low income whites are in higher education? On the other hand, Asians might be "over-represented" if you look at population, but are under-represented if you look at high school grades. Asians have to work harder to get to the same point.

A lot of it is to do with expectations and opportunities - I grew up in family with earnings in the bottom 10% (even among Catholics in Northern Ireland, where unemployment among Catholics was 35% when I was growing up) but have a PhD and my income's in the top 5% in the US. My parents didn't have the opportunities I had - my father had to leave school at age 14, and my mother at 16 - but they had the expectation that I would use the opportunities provided to me to the best of my abilities. These opportunities came to me through the big expansion in education in the UK during the 60s and 70s.

Low-income families in the US of whatever race do not have the same opportunities that I had in Northern Ireland back in the 70-80s, and I've seen in my local community that low-income children not only have lower expectations, but their families aren't aware of the opportunities that are available.

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It's white guilt, which I'll admit I can't stand. I find it almost as harmful (though admittedly considerably more benign) than straight up white hate when it comes to racial relations.

Yeah, terrible things have happened in the past, and it's everyone's job to acknowledge that, make amends, and attempt to move past them into a better world. The best way I think that should be done is to realize that people are people, and do as people do. Racial differences are only superficial, and everyone is exactly the same otherwise.

But when one group of people attempt to beat themselves up and place another group of people on a pedestal as a way to compensate for the past deeds, they're still objectifying an entire group of people. That old ingrained hate is now projected inwards, which will ultimately make that initial group resentful, while they still view the other groups as victims, or lessers. It's mere tolerance, cloying and bittersweet rather than begrudging, and not true acceptance. It does nothing to heal any divides.

Racism won't end so long as we're all tripping over ourselves wanting to tell everyone how not racist we all are, and how much we all LOOOOOOVVVVEEEE black people. It's only when we don't differentiate anymore, when race relations is no longer and issue because no one gives a damn one way or another about the color of another person's skin, that we can say we've moved on as a society.