Comics for Education - Biographics of Obama and McCain

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    I thought this was an amusing development. Last month, I picked up a comic biography of McCain and Obama in the form of a "flip-book" called "Presidential Material". The Obama artist had a more cartoony style, while the McCain artist's style was very traditional and biographical, an excellent style for much of the depictions of war. The cover was done by acclaimed artist J. Scott Campbell.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Overall I was pretty impressed. Obama's biography had details I'd never heard before, and McCain's had a very personal insight into details of the Keating 5 incident I'd not read. Pretty good work.

This week's comics bring another entry. This time by Antarctice Press. This time, 2 separate books. "McCain the Comic Book" and "Obama the Comic Book". Here's the official release description:
    Personally... and I'm biased (being an illustrator/cartoonist)... I think these are GREAT! I read a gazillion articles a day, but its certainly a different feeling to flip through a visual medium like comics. I'd previously picked up the "comic" version of the 9/11 Report... which was absolutely fantastic (though also available, serialized, by Slate). The graphic novel report was so good it was endorsed by 9/11 panel co-chairs Tom Kean and Lee Hamilton who write the foreward.

Especially with something so momentous as the 2008 election, its great that the medium is doing its part to get people informed and involved in the selection of a candidate. I'd previously highlighted the efforts of Sean Tavis, who used a comic strip to catapult his run for government office. Such efforts can clearly go awry... but, I'm digging what the pros have been cooking up on the subject of understanding politics and government. If most people were to guess what type of creation comes to mind when you hear "comics and politics", they'd inevitably think of something like "the super-duper friends". :D

Not sure if I'll pick up the latest. I'll have to check it out on the racks.

~ CB

2. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

good to hear that in times like this, illustrators are still getting work.

3. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Illustrators will always get work, but comicbook artists are another story. I'm not in that field today because you need to be a superstar to make the big bucks. You see the contortions the older, veteran artists have to make when they "out of style" and its painful to watch.

~ CB

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Saw the flip book in Borders a couple of weeks ago, seemed pretty fair to both candidates .