Comments Section Proves it All

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Digital Skunk, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Jamaicans Lead Caribbean Calls for Britain to Pay Slavery Reparations

Honestly, you can just read the comments section and skip the article. The piece is good and informative, but do people from across the pond REALLY think this way?

I know, even from a tech forum, that folks can get pretty hot when talking about things that matter to them, but oh my goodness.

2. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Read a few.

Yowza.

4. samiwas macrumors 65816

It's become painfully apparent that all over the internet, ultra-conservative trolls have taken over. Whether they are actually conservatives, or just masking their trolling under the conservative banner, I don't know. But, reading the comments section on pretty much any news article these days, it will be heavily inundated with right-wing paranoia.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That's why I hang here in PRSI.

I just don't need the aggravation trying to argue against that kind of mentality.

6. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I used to hate PRSI, still kinda do, but it is a nice place to gain some perspective and check myself every now and then.

True. I knew it was an American way of thinking, to be that . . . . backward I guess. But I never knew that mindset was something that was shared overseas.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

You'll be surprised at some of the racist mindsets overseas.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Yeah, there are ***holes everywhere, man. The only difference between the US and Europe on that front is that our ***holes are louder, and get more media attention.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

When I read those comments, I wonder if the entire thing is the product of a very clever troll turned webmaster.

10. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

It's not merely the comments. The whole site is about race if you read the "Our Issues" section: http://www.amren.com/about/issues/

Enough material there for at least 20 more race-related threads :p

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It's very, very possible. Personally, I've always believed internet comment sections are a natural draw for attention seeking trolls wanting to rile up as many people as possible, and legitimate crazies wanting a public platform to spew their backwards opinions from.

I usually avoid them, myself. Reading through them is usually nothing more than a brain sucking waste of time.

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

What I've seen, these last several years, is that many of those who are working and paying taxes are becoming more resentful of those on welfare. Prices and taxes are up and wages are stagnant and thus times are hard. And, obviously, to many of these people, blacks are the symbol of welfare. The inaccuracy of that belief is irrelevant.

So, any time you see some article about reparations, you'll quickly see resentment.

I'm with Dr. Thomas Sowell insofar as reparations: Punish those who own slaves, and give reparations to anybody who is now a freed slave. Me, I'm not responsible for the actions of my great-great grandfather.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You've obviously never been to Reddit.com

14. samiwas macrumors 65816

Sure I have. I just stick to r/Realgirls. ;) Very little to bitch about on there!