common core

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Sep 18, 2015.

1. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It is beyond the stupidest idea our nation has put out. Whoever the chief architect is should have the **** beat out of them with an abacus and a TI83 and then have both deposited up his ass.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The first one is definitely underhanded, as we've all been told to deal with the numbers as a whole at that time, not scavenging parts of a number (I'll accept the fractions argument as an exception, but that is not applicable to the first problem). Given the math problem, you have to deal with all of the number, not part of it. This would completely screw their heads over when they get to fractions.

The second problem.. damn.. my brain hurts just reading it, and solved it in my head in less than 3 seconds.

I will have to say right now, that with Common Core, some my son's kindergarten math is easy to understand. I just can't get over the fact that kindergartners are bring home HOMEWORK. I didn't have homework until at least 4th grade! :eek:

BL.

3. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Yeah! What he said.:)

That one is not so much a math problem as a social problem, since you need to tell Jack what he did wrong. Looking at the number line, the big arch = 100. But the little arch = 1 not 10 as the outraged parent thought. It's not to scale. Well ****. So what did Jack do right? Nothing.:rolleyes: What should he do to fix his mistake? Don't use a frakking number line for starter...:mad:

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't know a hell of a lot about CC but my understanding is individual states decided whether or not to use these standards, not the federal govt. SO when Ted Cruz and his ilk tell you they'd repeal CC on day 1, they are full of ****.

That said, this seems to me to be like when I was in grade school and they were teaching 'new math'. A miild uproar and parents eventually got behind it. Not likely to happen today as we can't have little Johnnie or Becky be exposed for the idiots they might be.

5. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I remember this. Are you speaking of the "if enough people think 2+2=3 then it does"? We also went through a lets switch to the metric system phase for a while. I loved the metric system. So much easier to just move that decimal point :). I think the only thing that stuck was engine size. Ex. 302 Cubic Inches changed to 5.0L and seemed to stick.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That would depend of the context of the lesson. If the technique that the teacher indicates below the answer had been taught to the class, then it only seems underhanded to those of us thinking they are merely asking to get 10 from 8+5. It's quite possible that the class was instructed on that very technique and the student just didn't apply it.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

how would you be able to help your kids if you did not know it? just looking at the problem makes me want to slap the teacher :p

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Right. The whole uproar over common core is driven by a rabid adherence to one method of mathematics. It's almost dogmatic as if the way we learned math is the only way to teach the subject.

Yeah, though I think my son's homework is fairly forgiving and is built around central concepts that he can accomplish rather quickly. Of course, we've been reading to the kid since he was a dozen cells, and I've been using games to teach him mathematical concepts since he was a toddler.

9. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Oddly enough, I do some math like this in my head, i.e., shift to multiples of 10 (or some convenient mutiple) and add back in the "extra" values - but this was after years of traditional math and having enough understanding to not use it where it would introduce unnecessary complexity like the second problem.

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This is what happens when you let politicians decide policies instead of the experts in the respective fields.

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Obviously common core math is part of a spiritual war being waged by Satan and the Powers of Darkness against truth, justice, and the American way (of solving math problems.)

12. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

13. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

There are so many misconceptions about Common Core.

1) It was not developed by the government, nor was it forced into schooled by the federal government. It was developed by educators in the states and voluntarily adopted by them.

2) These silly examples people keep posting are not the only way math is being taught in Common Core. It's being taught in the traditional way as well.

What you're seeing is an attempt to help children develop multiple ways of solving math problems through estimation and anticipation - much like Asian and European countries do. You don't see the full context in the first example, but it is basically a method of doing math in one's head. It converts a digit to 10 to make adding a number easier in one's head rather than rote memorization. Think of it like you're rearranging a few building blocks - you take some from one pile and add it to another. It doesn't change the outcome, but it makes it easier to visualize.

All this being said, the entire common core curriculum has been implemented so poorly that it's a wonder it still exists. Plus, there's not really anyone who is defending it. But it's certainly not the horror show that most parents (and politicians) are making it out to be.

14. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

What you see here has nothing to do with Common Core and everything to do with the curriculum used to teach math. You can still teach the Common Core Standards using more traditional methods. What you see here is reform math. The worst offenders are TERC Investigations and Everyday Math. These horrible curriculums have been used by many schools long before Common Core Standards were introduced. Just Google the curriculums and you will find all sorts of information.

I personally like teaching a balanced curriculum that teaches students deeper understanding, but also teaches traditional methods and algorithms once a student has proper number sense. The problem with Investigations and Everyday Math is that students never gain mastery or efficiency with these programs. Reform math has very little to do with the Standards, but everything to do with math instruction. Reform math is slowly dying off in some districts, but it's a very slow death.

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

While the examples at the top of this thread are stupid and unreasonable, they are not examples of "common core." Common core means that core classes (science, math, ELA, and social studies) have common objectives in all schools in all cities across the country.

16. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Common core math can include teaching "number sense" and it's not all that mind-blowing and radical a concept to wrap your head around once it's explained...

17. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

That helped a lot. Thanks

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Well holy ****! THAT'S HOW I DO MATH!

I guess it goes to show that sometimes it's better to read up on something rather than griping about it after a single glance.

19. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Sorry, but flying off the handle & jumping to conclusions is the only way some of us get exercise :D

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Even I'm guilty of this one. I've been spending all this time looking at those CC math sheet examples and thinking "...what? That's stupid, and they're stupid for suggesting it. I hope they all die of butt rot."

And all it took was a 3 minute video for me to go "...okay, that makes sense. Well **** me, right?"

A LESSON HAS BEEN LEARNED!

21. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Video makes sense, and of course you are guilty, you are my alter :p

22. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Yeah, but just think how much better those same students will understand the politicians themselves. What more do you need!?

/s

23. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

American kids are bad at math because of the emphasis of "number tricks" and "mental math" ********. No one uses mental math in the real world. Why? Because no one cares how fast you can solve a math problem; only if you get it right. I went to a private school and still was taught that ****. No focus on critical thinking of how answers are obtained. Shameful.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Excellent post.

I bet if you look at the most vocal opponents, they are the 'celebrate ignorance' crowd that seems to be in vogue these days. A ****ing cancer on the US.