Common sense gets trumped by pride.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Mar 8, 2010.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Without giving actual details in an ongoing case, here's something that makes me mad.

I talked to this lady relative who is so proud that when the Los Padres fire came and destroyed a lot of houses, her son disobeyed the evacuation orders and fought the fire with his garden hose. Wow, was he brave!

In the meantime, other residents did the same and either blocked the road logjamming the firefighters, or delaying them when they succumbed to smoke inhalation and fire crews had to help those homeowners and renters who refused to leave.

One of the firefighters who was on scene (high school friend) died while fighting a fire and the firemen and women were unable to get to him on time because a few residents blocked the road or made it hard for help to get to the fire zone.

The resident, while in a suit and tie, who valliantly fought the fire, disobeying an evacuation order, gets in the news as a hero. In the meantime, there was little press on the firefighter who couldn't be reached because residents like him blocked the narrow roads and tried to be firefighters themselves.

When a relative brought up their heroic resident son, I almost brought up the trapped firefighter, who under regular conditons had the roads and home been cleared, would have been saved.

2. geekgirl macrumors regular

I would have been sure to bring up the firefighter who died, and the circumstances. People will never learn consequences of their actions if others refrain from speaking in a case like this.

The media was negligent in this case, big time. A house is not worth a life.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Agreed, I don't think most people don't understand that the first priority of emergency responders is life--not property. Portraying the guy who stayed behind to save his house is not heroic. It's sad that more people will now ignore evactuation orders as a result of the coverage. You should call up your relative and explain what happened--she needs to be set straight.

I'm sorry to hear what happened to your friend.

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

It's an insane situation. My relatives will think heroic house saver who made the news, but like many around here, they think firemen are expendable and it's their job.

I almost had a fight with my relative on this issue but refrained.

We also had a huge fire in Big Sur, CA on the other side of the large forest and the extremely independent mix of hippies and anti-authoritarian radicals pretty much defied the first responders. Firemen also died there and the Governor came down here for the funeral service.

As far as the Big Sur radicals were concerned, anybody in uniform, whether it's cops or firemen, are unwelcome, and it took twice the manpower to fight the fire. One half to fight the fire, and the other half to rescue overtaken residents who thought they could fight 50 foot flames with a garden hose from Ace Hardware.

The best chances the people and the houses have is when there is an evacuation order, people should get out of the way and let the professionals do their job of fighting fires via trucks, helicopters, and fire breaks.

Not only did I have a relative defy the firemen, my boss had a son who decided to stay and fight the fire alone to save his cabin. It took several emergency/rescue people to get to him and get him out of the danger zone. My boss was incensed at her son for trying to be some local hero.

In my area of the sticks, this John Wayne redneck mentality exists, and if they think they are so macho, they should get off their ass and become firefighters if they think they can handle it. But what happens is they are with their garden hoses passed out in some remote cabin/house/tent and have to get rescued.

The end result of these self-made heroes are more dead bodies and more burned acres.

5. No1451 macrumors 6502

Been in this situation before around my family, I was unpopular the rest of the day because I brought up how pointless the behaviour was, sometimes you just need to stand back and let the professionals take over.