Commuter Train Crashes in Hoboken, NJ

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Sep 29, 2016.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Very Sad, I hope that no one is seriously hurt.

3. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Apparently the train jumped the track and plowed into the station. One confirmed death. Obviously a very fluid situation.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

How is that even possible?!?

5. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have no idea.

6. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

How sad. I pray for the injured people and the families of those involved.
    Does anyone know if these trains have more than a conductor and/or auto brakes?

8. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Initial reports say the train went over the bumper stops and into the station. Also they are reporting the train was moving at a very high rate of speed.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Thus either the conductor fell sick (heart attack?) or a terrorist attack? Don't trains have emergency brakes?

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

This is a different accident.

11. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

this is another example of the infrastructure improvements we need in this country. safety nets are available but not in place in many areas.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Well that's what I was wondering. In a highly populated area as NY and NJ where most people use public transportation trains do not have an "approaching station" sensor that can trigger reduced speeds?

13. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

No kidding. I was speculating as to the cause.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Understood. Yeah that was my initial question... only one conductor and no automated safety?

15. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Not sure. A former NTSB investigator was on a few minutes ago and he said many stations do not have automated systems.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Interesting. This is sick. We have google and apple working on automated cars, and NASA/Lockheed/Boeing/Bell/AgustaWestland etc working on UAVs... and no one is able to put a freaking sensor with a simple code:

if speed > 50 and TriggerOneActive_20mi == TRUE then
    Soundbuzzer = TRUE
    else if speed >35 and TriggerTwoActive_10mi == TRUE then
    Soundbuzzer = TRUE
    ApplySoftBrakes = TRUE
    else if speed >25 and TriggerThreeActive_2mi == TRUE then
    Soundbuzzer = TRUE
    ApplyHardBrakes = TRUE
    end if

17. thermodynamic, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016

thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Hope they can be rescued soon if not already...

Until then, everybody be quick to blame police, unions, the governor, the president of the US, candidates for the presidency, China, Russia, inhabitants of Skaro, or any other convenient group of people to play blame games with.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2016 ---
    Why don't we donate them the money if Apple and Google won't? Even then, reports of near-misses and other oversights... Or how come the system admins of existing systems don't augment? Or can they with existing systems? How expensive is it to replace? Until then, contingency means must be used. Even then, contingency planning is still a must.

Even then, code only responds to reaction as perceived by the sensor. One little system's little sensor malfunction (either false positive or false negative, which one is worse) and can cause problems that makes as much difference as the person sitting at the controls being high on LSD, if not worse, the moment there's a malfunction that in all likelihood not be reported because, according to the logic, nothing is wrong - there is no such thing as "AI", just reaction to known criteria and that criteria is still very limited.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Of interest, I wonder if the PTCT includes GPS and auto stop when positive control is not excerted by engineer? With current technology, trains should not be driving into the station.

Hoboken Crash: New Jersey Transit Train Didn't Have Positive Train Control

The commuter train that crashed into New Jersey Transit's Hoboken terminal during the Thursday morning rush was not equipped with the positive train control technology that could have prevented it from roaring off the rails.

What's more, not a single New Jersey Transit employee been trained how to use the PTC technology, according to the most recent U.S. Department of Transportation progress report, which is dated Sept. 13.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

That's why I put three sensors!
    All joking aside, yes there is no fail-proof system. Everything is bound to fail sooner or later. But going from ZERO sensors to some kind of automated response can make a huge difference. As in aerospace, you try to limit the possibility that all failures happens at once.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The automated braking systems were mandated to be installed by the end of this year on all rail systems, a regulation put in place nearly a decade ago. Amtrak and the rest didn't bother to do it, and after the LAST major derailment they lobbied to have the deadline extended another 5 years.

It's not that the technology doesn't exist, it has for nearly 30 years now, its that these ****ing companies won't put the money in to complying with the law and instead spend on lobbyists to push the deadlines back even further.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I didn't know that! Thanks for the info. I guess that until there is another problem a-la Boston's Big Dig disaster they won't do anything.

22. jerwin macrumors 65816