Companies end sponsorship over Trump killing scene in play

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jun 12, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/news/delta-ends-sponsorship-over-trump-002912904.html
    theater is not that bad, but I prefer comedy & musical, got a feeling the "Artist" was going for shock value.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Oskar has already expressed that the point of illustration (from the play and his staging as well) that the killing of Caeser (and as dressed similar to Trump) is not the answer at all. Further - The show has been running a few weeks without any commentary - so the pull out now is interesting.

Companies can do what they want. But there's not much to see here.

ETA:
    In a message posted to the Public Theater’s website, the director, Oskar Eustis says, “Julius Caesar can be read as a warning parable to those who try to fight for democracy by undemocratic means To fight the tyrant does not meant imitating him.”

The play runs from May 23 through June 18 and is almost 2 hours long. There is a note on the theater’s website that says, “Julius Caesar contains the use of violence, nudity, live gunshot sounds, strobe, herbal cigarettes, haze and fog.”

In his lengthy note, Eustis says, “Julius Caesar is about how fragile democracy is. The institutions that we have grown up with, that we have inherited from the struggle of many generations of our ancestors, can be swept away in no time at all.”

3. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

So they stabbed a Trump look a like. Sic semper tyrannis.:p:D

If it's an allegory they were after, they should have made Caesar, Uncle Sam, and his killers the long list of corrupt politicians (Agnew Spiro, Tom DeLay, Dick Cheney, Dubba-Yah) and the Donald as Brutus. He was supposed to be different from the others, thus the shock of betray displayed by Caesar/Uncle Sam. Et tu Brute/Donald?:D

4. samcraig macrumors P6

5. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Who - Oskar Eustis - the head of the Public Theater? He's not going anywhere.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Art, ever subversive... no wonder the GOP detests any of it they don't understand, and most that they do.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

They're just trying to prevent this:

Mayor: Drebin, I don't want anymore trouble like you had last year on the South Side. Understand? That's my policy.
    Frank: Yes. Well, when I see 5 weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of the park in full view of 100 people, I shoot the bastards. That's *my* policy.
    Mayor: That was a Shakespeare-In-The-Park production of "Julius Caesar", you moron! You killed 5 actors! Good ones.

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

"Anything is possible" = long running play in at least the USA.

10. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Unfortunately that was not art.

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Art will always be in the eye of the beholder.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

Newsflash - you aren't the arbiter.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Leaving fortune aside, it was art you didn't happen to appreciate.

I can dig the feeling. I do not care at all for assorted notorious or celebrated works by Robert Mapplethorpe, but then again I roundly loathe the works of Thomas Kinkade as well.

The beholder has options. One of them might not always be suppression. Not looking is usually good enough for me. Once in awhile I might make a remark about time or place or something. I actually like the fact that great art has tended to be subversive of establishment expectations in one way or another. It broadens the horizons of human imagination and expands self-knowledge.

Public Theater offerings I'm likely to accept as art that I may or may not feel comfortable about, that's all. I don't always want to feel comfortable: my heart might stop beating if things get really really comfy. :eek:

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if in theaters then it's "art", how good it is depends on the person viewing it.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

16. samcraig macrumors P6

A STATEMENT FROM THE
    DRAMATISTS LEGAL DEFENSE FUND
    Yesterday, Delta Airlines and Bank of America announced their withdrawal of support and funding from the Public Theater and its production of Julius Caesar, currently running at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park. After the production opened, Breitbart and other right-wing outlets on social media objected loudly to the production’s portrayal of Caesar as a Trump-like figure. In response to this interpretation of the character, Delta issued a statement yesterday that the production didn’t reflect their “values,” and the “artistic and creative direction crossed the line on the standards of good taste,” and Bank of America stated that the production “intended to provoke or offend,” as reasons for their withdrawal of support.
    But good taste is a matter of opinion and an “intention to provoke” may be an integral part of a play’s mission. The works of Shakespeare are replete with representations of regicide, and potentially objectionable and graphic violence of all sorts, but Delta doesn’t appear to have had a problem with the “values” or “taste” of such depictions before. The fact is that, for hundreds of years, this particular play has been understood to be a critique of political violence, not an endorsement of it. As director Oskar Eustis explained, “Julius Caesar can be read as a warning parable to those who try to fight for democracy by undemocratic means. To fight the tyrant does not mean imitating him.” So those criticizing this production for endorsing violence against President Trump seem to be willfully misinterpreting it, for their own political ends.
    Delta and Bank of America are private corporations that are entitled to support or not support anything they choose. However, the withdrawal of significant financial resources from a theatrical institution based on the content of its work is an act of political bullying that endangers public debate of the critical issues of our day. So we condemn the actions of Delta Airlines and Bank of America for undermining free expression, and we support the Public Theater and its courage in moving forward with its production, despite the potential cost to their institution.
    Signed,
    John Weidman, President
    Ralph Sevush, Executive Director
    The Dramatists Legal Defense Fund.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How much worse can it get.

18. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I agree. We need to elevate the standard by which something is considered "art".

The wife and I visited a gallery this past weekend. There was a room that had nothing in it other than 4 6" colored squares on the wall. They call this art? They say this is equal to beautiful sculptures carved from stone. It's not.

Basically I look at it this way....if the "art" needs a description next to it to tell you what it is and why it's "art" then it's not art.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

What a sad sad sad set of criteria.

20. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

The fact that you feel the need to discuss it here makes it art.

A well done statue is a sign of craftsmanship and MIGHT also be be art.

21. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Whatever. Real art stands on its own and doesn't need an explanation.

22. samcraig macrumors P6

Cubism and abstract art isn't art? I disagree.

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

That is entirely possible, given my political lean, or at least possible in conjunction with this particular Congress. All that tells me, when I consider that I would practically welcome news of Pence's accession to the presidency right now --assuming it occurred within Constitutional parameters-- is that the chaotic and dysfunctional nature of Trump's administration has really gotten to me.

So.... lately I have been trying just to think of Trump as performance art, which (to me) is not quite the same thing as "reality TV". If he'd stop messing about with our international relationships I might have more success with this personal endeavor. So far I'm not having much luck. For a reality TV kinda guy, he intrudes on regular reality so often now that it's like watching someone crash through the walls instead of using doors, leaving Trump-shaped outlines wherever he's been. I guess that could be performance art too but I was having in mind more something like theater in the round. He keeps escaping...

Oh, let's not ask that one on this planet in these interesting times.

At least you didn't put a question mark on it so I'll take it as satirical commentary :D

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

If it needs a description it isn't art. That's the line I draw.

25. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

What is troubling and you did not include in your original attachment is that sponsorship was pulled in direct reaction to a Tweet by Donald Trump JR the Presidents son.